[Q] Tried to Setup Spark - Now No LTE At All

Search This thread

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
Got my new Play Store N5 this week and got it all setup rooted and ROM'd, but I realized yesterday that I wasn't setup correctly to use Sprint's tri-band LTE Spark. It had been connecting to LTE fine on one band, but I wanted to see if the extra two would help increase speeds and maybe some coverage, so I followed a guide I found on here.

http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/sprint-tri-band-activation-help-t2515798

Now my phone won't connect to LTE at all. I've called Sprint and even stopped in at one of their repairs stores, but I can't stand being asked to restart my phone or hit update profile again after about 20 times already. One of the techs even said I need to get a new phone!

Can anyone help with this? Would reflashing the stock image help at all? Was the tech right, do I really need a new phone?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Got my new Play Store N5 this week and got it all setup rooted and ROM'd, but I realized yesterday that I wasn't setup correctly to use Sprint's tri-band LTE Spark. It had been connecting to LTE fine on one band, but I wanted to see if the extra two would help increase speeds and maybe some coverage, so I followed a guide I found on here.

http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/sprint-tri-band-activation-help-t2515798

Now my phone won't connect to LTE at all. I've called Sprint and even stopped in at one of their repairs stores, but I can't stand being asked to restart my phone or hit update profile again after about 20 times already. One of the techs even said I need to get a new phone!

Can anyone help with this? Would reflashing the stock image help at all? Was the tech right, do I really need a new phone?

I would reflash the stock rom if i we `re you and see if that fixes your problem, look here for how to http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701. Good luck mate.

Reactions: BaumerS4

CRIME INC.

Jan 18, 2011
HENDERSONVILLE

Did you revert the changes you made?

sent from my Hammerhead Nexus

CRIME INC.

Jan 18, 2011
HENDERSONVILLE
They may be by flashing stock images, but not by just resetting or flashing another ROM.

Edit: I'm betting that all he needs to do is revert the settings. If you need the settings I'll post them

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
They may be by flashing stock images, but not by just resetting or flashing another ROM.

Edit: I'm betting that all he needs to do is revert the settings. If you need the settings I'll post them

I've tried reverting them to no avail, plus they seem to change whenever I update my profile/PRL. But if you could post what you have them set to (especially if you are using Spark) that would be fantastic.

CRIME INC.

Jan 18, 2011
HENDERSONVILLE
ymymunuz.jpg

Spark may not be available in your area as of yet. Its not in mine

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
I'd just wait till Sprint rolls out the update for it. But use the screen shot I provided to set it back up, and see if it makes a difference

How does Sprint roll out updates for the N5? Is it just through profile updates? Buying from the Play Store, I will never receive an OTA from Sprint, right?

CRIME INC.

Jan 18, 2011
HENDERSONVILLE
How does Sprint roll out updates for the N5? Is it just through profile updates? Buying from the Play Store, I will never receive an OTA from Sprint, right?

To be honest I'm not sure of the "how" of it. I just read an article, a little while back, saying they were going to do an update to activate spark on their devices.

Edit: And you shouldn't have an issue receiving it since you're connected to Sprint service.

lilotimz

Dec 17, 2011
Sacramento

Sprint submits the changes they want to Google and Google incorporates it into their Android updates. LG and Sprint had long ago fixed whatever their issue was with the Spark update rolled out for the LG G2 in late jan/early feb so it's mainly up to Google now to push the update.

As the Nexus 5 is not native to Sprint and is basically the phone for the entire North American region, Google will not push an update just for one specific carrier. Thus we Nexus 5 users on Sprint have waited over 5 months for the next Google Android update which will enable B26/ B41 (aka Spark).

p.s. Availability of band 25 PCS 1900 LTE tends to screw with non Spark updated phones.

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
I followed the steps in the post linked in the first reply (used Method 2, Method 1 kept failing fastboot halfway through) and reset my phone back to stock. But it still doesn't want to connect to Sprint's LTE. I even played around with the LTE radio settings again in the hope of enabling Spark and nada.

Would it have been possible to corrupt the phone software totally while doing this to begin with? Do I need to send it back? (and on that note, you have no idea how frustrating it is to explain to a Sprint rep on the phone that you bought the phone from Google online. Such a foreign concept to them!) Could the SIM card have gotten corrupted and I just need a new one of those?

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
I followed the steps in the post linked in the first reply (used Method 2, Method 1 kept failing fastboot halfway through) and reset my phone back to stock. But it still doesn't want to connect to Sprint's LTE. I even played around with the LTE radio settings again in the hope of enabling Spark and nada.

Would it have been possible to corrupt the phone software totally while doing this to begin with? Do I need to send it back? (and on that note, you have no idea how frustrating it is to explain to a Sprint rep on the phone that you bought the phone from Google online. Such a foreign concept to them!) Could the SIM card have gotten corrupted and I just need a new one of those?

Update: So after downloading the necessary files to my laptop at work, I followed the procedures to reflash to stock again this morning. It came up as failed activation at first, but after hitting update profile and rebooting the phone, I'm back on LTE again. And after checking Android Central this morning, it seems like I should just wait for Google to fix my Spark issues...

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-5-update-pushing-out-added-spark

So tempted to roll back into the Sprint store that told me I needed a new phone and shove my LTE-enabled phone in their faces.

Top Liked Posts