Ouya Arcade Cabinet

Search This thread

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Just wanted to share a couple pics of an arcade cabinet built using the ouya. This is a link to a video of neon shadow being played on it. The vid is from before we finished the control box. There are some other vids on the same channel. http://youtu.be/sRDOYn7WhJk

gIJVmhO.jpg

wGMZHAY.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo999

Aug 21, 2012
I just decided last night that I was going to see if it was practical to use the OUYA instead of an XP machine to power the arcade cabinet that I'm going to be building. I see now that it is. It looks great, man. What did you use for the controls and how did you make them respond to the OUYA?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium HD app

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
We are currently using 2 xin-mo boards. One per player. The OUYA will recognize them as USB inputs. Just have to create your own custom file for android to load on startup. This took lots of trial and error. We have got it working with the majority of OUYA games with our gamepad. There are a very few that don't though. You can also use OUYA controllers at the same time for up to whatever amount a players the game allows. Our customer! Controls work great with emulators and with the 2 joystick config are awesome on OUYA fps games also. We just received an arduino board we are going to try to use to add more options and get 100% compatibility with all games. Even at this point there is no reason to use an actual controller unless you want to.

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Looks like buffet hutch. Good to see the sales of copyrighted roms is going good for you.

good day.

We do not include any Roms with the cabinet. The OUYA comes the same as it would come out of the box except we add the files necessary for it to work with our controls and setup. It is up to the owner to put whatever games they want on it. It is their cabinet after all. We can sell just the cabinet also and it is easy enough for someone to plug their OUYA in and go. They would just have to copy a few files that would take less than a minute to do.

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Absolutely love this. Awesome job!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks!!! The tmolding is suppose to be here today. Hopefully that will be installed in the next few days depending on our work schedule. Once we sell this one I want to build a 4player one for myself. It's way too much fun to play. Using the control box as arcade controls inside on the big screen TV is sweet too.

Last edited:
L

LegionTHEFecalExcretion

We do not include any Roms with the cabinet. The OUYA comes the same as it would come out of the box except we add the files necessary for it to work with our controls and setup. It is up to the owner to put whatever games they want on it. It is their cabinet after all. We can sell just the cabinet also and it is easy enough for someone to plug their OUYA in and go. They would just have to copy a few files that would take less than a minute to do.

Don't mind him, he's notorious for trolling. No sane person would think that you are actually including roms as part of the sale.

It seemed like a strange concept at first, but once I thought about it I realized the OUYA probably is the cheapest and best cpu you could build a cabinet with.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Looks pretty awesome. I built an arcade cabinet once, but stupidly did not measure the hallway/door to my room, got pissed, and smashed it to pieces. Looked cool in the garage for a while though.

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Looks pretty awesome. I built an arcade cabinet once, but stupidly did not measure the hallway/door to my room, got pissed, and smashed it to pieces. Looked cool in the garage for a while though.

This is 31.5" wide so it would be a little bit of a pain to get through a 32" door. In the future we probably won't go as deep so they will lighter and easier to get through smaller openings.

We finally found the time and got the tmolding dry fit. Just need to pull it off and then glue it back on. We decided not to do any of the stuff mentioned above to this one except for plexi on the cp and possible a vinyl wrap. The next one will have everything as we have all the parts necessary to do it. We have also built a test 4 player cp. We still need to drill the player and start button holes for each player. Just waiting on the buttons and joysticks for it. We also ordered new hardware for our 2 player cp so we can have all led buttons. The pic of the 4 player top is a mock up with the buttons just sitting in it.

Tjmh9of.jpg

G1XTQ5V.jpg

88HofUr.jpg

UVwMwYR.jpg

LRIu4cg.jpg

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
That looks great man. Nice since it's just an HDTV you can always throw in a PC or game console, especially if you're using an Xbox 360 controller as input (haven't read all the details).

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Our controls work great with a PC. We used a usb encoder for them. I'm pretty sure they would also work with a USB to console adapter. We haven't tested yet so can't say for sure. Maybe I'll put the kids 360 in when I have time and see how it works. For extended play on games requiring both sticks nothing can beat a controller for comfort though in my opinion. Playing new and old retro games on arcade controls is a blast. Especially having so many different gaming options all in one cabinet.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
And is that just painted MDF? Because it looks fantastic in the pics. I just didn't have the patience to paint so many layers when I made my cabinet back in the day. Can't remember if I tried sealing it with glue and water or not...

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
It's actually just plain particle board. We sunk the screw heads and only had to sand a little. Then some spray paint and brush on polyurethane. After a few layers of poly we sanded it to a smooth surface. Doesn't take much sanding. Then some spray poly to bring back the glossy finish. The poly dries hard, almost like plastic so it's a really durable finish. It's not hard to do but takes some time.

ajb999

Mar 27, 2009
Working on this cabinet now. Should have it done by the end of the week. Just have to decide on what graphics we're gonna go with. It only sits 23" deep so the footprint is a lot smaller. Hopefully we will have a bartop model assembled by then too. Decided to go w/ MDF on these cabs. So much nicer to work with than particle board other than the sealing process.

2q6CoVq.jpg

3cmNkwu.jpg

9e3puqN.jpg

Last edited:

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
That's awesome dude. If I ever get the free time I'm definitely gonna have another go at it...unless I go buy the Mortal Kombat II machine that's for sale down the street.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to share a couple pics of an arcade cabinet built using the ouya. This is a link to a video of neon shadow being played on it. The vid is from before we finished the control box. There are some other vids on the same channel. http://youtu.be/sRDOYn7WhJk

gIJVmhO.jpg

wGMZHAY.jpg
    Started painting the cabinet. The trim should really set it off once it's installed.

Lufjn96.jpg