Anyone want this Google Play Edition Moto G?

Search This thread

A.Zee

Aug 12, 2012
So this version just receives updates faster?

I got mine through Google Play that should count lol!

Sent using Nexus 7

1. Is there any other difference too between a normal Moto G & the GPE one?

2. Can someone please confirm me the total amount of the 16GB GPE edition? (with taxes, shipping, etc.)

I live outside US and have requested a friend of mine (in Atlanta) to buy it for me, so need to know the exact amount!
The ones on the Official site & Amazon are $216 & $217 respectively.

Last edited:

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
Is there any other difference too between a normal Moto G & the GPE one?

Plus, can someone please confirm me the total amount of the 16GB GPE edition? (with taxes, shipping, etc.)
I've actually requested a friend of mine (in Atlanta) to buy it for me, so need to know the exact amount!

The ones on the Official site & Amazon are $216 & $217 respectively.

The GPE would more than likely have some motorola apps removed and possibly a bootloader that doesn't have to be unlocked by requesting a key from Motorola

CANADOS

Jan 16, 2014
Vancouver
If it came out 2 weeks earlier, I would have purchased GP edition for sure.
But unfortunately (or rather not) got US GSM version from Motorola.

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
Just bought one and its on its way. Question, does the GPE have the transparant bar on the lockscreen / homescreen like the Moto version? Or is it black like the rest of the GPE devices? The homescreen doesnt concerne me since I plan to use the Google Experience launcher but that black bar on the lockscreen.... yuck :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Just bought one and its on its way. Question, does the GPE have the transparant bar on the lockscreen / homescreen like the Moto version? Or is it black like the rest of the GPE devices? The homescreen doesnt concerne me since I plan to use the Google Experience launcher but that black bar on the lockscreen.... yuck :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It will not be transparent unless you use a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher. The launcher3 that GPE devices use don't use transparency.

RealSlimShadyMC

Aug 28, 2013
Exmouth, UK
Nonononononono. Lockcreen will be transparent. Stock feature of systemui.apk. homescreen will have bars without a launcher that supports transparency

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
some of the replies doesn't have a clue what you are asking since they haven't used a Nexus 5. I don't know for sure since I don't have a Moto G Google edition. I think if it doesn't come with a Google launcher like the Nexus 5 it's safe to assume the lockscreen will also have a black bar. Though the point of Google edition is you can unlock the bootloader and easy install custom roms so if stock don't have it you can flash a framework mod with transparent lockscreen. If you aren't planning to root then I don't think it's necessary to get the Google play edition imo.

sent via tapatalk

You don't need to root to get a transparency in the launcher. You just need a launcher that supports transparency like Nova Launcher. Also, the lock screen should have a transparent status bars by default.

Reactions: RealSlimShadyMC

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
Ill have to see when it arrives, my question is because when my nexus 4 got kitkat update, the laucher had black bars as well as lockscreen which was expected, I changed to Google Launcher and the homescreen was transparent as promised but It did not affect lockscreen when it came to that and I wondered if it was the same thing here.

Ill find out Monday :) thanks all who helped

RealSlimShadyMC

Aug 28, 2013
Exmouth, UK
Or just use the Launcher2 from Moto's 4.4 update which has transparency.

This is the same apk, buy I added back Google stock wallpapers SL you have both :) I hated launcher2 with bars

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Ill have to see when it arrives, my question is because when my nexus 4 got kitkat update, the laucher had black bars as well as lockscreen which was expected, I changed to Google Launcher and the homescreen was transparent as promised but It did not affect lockscreen when it came to that and I wondered if it was the same thing here.

4.4.1 introduced transparent lock screen to all devices

Reactions: mike21pr

Penetratore

Dec 7, 2010
Kraków
One thing that bothers me is that in the GPE it is written that FM radio not included.
Is this SW related or is this missing in the HW.
If it's hardware the this is a different version and Rom.
If it's software then how can this work. Loading a clean rom from the Europe versions?

Can somebody test this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    some of the replies doesn't have a clue what you are asking since they haven't used a Nexus 5. I don't know for sure since I don't have a Moto G Google edition. I think if it doesn't come with a Google launcher like the Nexus 5 it's safe to assume the lockscreen will also have a black bar. Though the point of Google edition is you can unlock the bootloader and easy install custom roms so if stock don't have it you can flash a framework mod with transparent lockscreen. If you aren't planning to root then I don't think it's necessary to get the Google play edition imo.

sent via tapatalk

You don't need to root to get a transparency in the launcher. You just need a launcher that supports transparency like Nova Launcher. Also, the lock screen should have a transparent status bars by default.
    Or just use the Launcher2 from Moto's 4.4 update which has transparency.

This is the same apk, buy I added back Google stock wallpapers SL you have both :) I hated launcher2 with bars

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

4.4.1 introduced transparent lock screen to all devices