[Recovery & Root] Unofficial CWM for Acer Iconia Smart and root method

Search This thread

paugustin

Dec 10, 2009
Paris
OnePlus 7
Hi a friend of mine took the time to adapt CWM recovery for the newly released Acer Iconia Smart. I'm sharing that with you as well as an easy tutorial to root your device.

I hope it will help some people.

It's not a one-click method but it remains quite easy if you carefully follow the steps. Just be careful and nothing wrong should happen (the operation is not risk free though).

What you need :

I- Install the driver
Unless you have already done it.

II- Install a custom recovert menu
  • Plug your Iconia Smart to your PC.
  • Unpack the zip file containing the recovery and superuser.
  • Exexcute install_recovery.cmd and just follow the steps.

III- Prepare to root
  • Once your phone has rebooted copy the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file to your sdcard.
  • Switch off your phone
  • Switch it back on while pressing [vol+], [focus] and power. Keep pressing the buttons until you're in the recovery (yellow text on black screen)
    (You get "focus" by half pressing the camera button.

IV- ROOT !
To navigate in the recovery menu use vol keys to go up and down, camera to validate and < to go back.
  • click on "install zip from sdcard"
  • then on "choose zip form sdcard"
  • select the file "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip" that you just copied on your SDcard
  • validate and let it run.

Once done go back to the home screen using [<] and click on "reboot system now".

Your phone will reboot and you should have root. Just check if you see a superuser icon in the applications and try to use an app that require root.

se-tw

Aug 8, 2007
In accordance with the above method finally acer smart s300 to root it!
Use is also very normal, very Thank!

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Works perfectly, thanks! :)

Edit: Un oh.. Spoke too soon.. When I plug in USB to charge, the device is going into romdump mode...

Last edited:

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Kind of. I think it was something to do with the USB cable as I tried another and it stopped dropping to romdump mode.

Still not 100% convinced though, as I was getting a lot of other weird stuff. Main one was that the stock launcher was constantly force closing. Ended up installing ADW Launcher EX and now the device is rock solid again.

The only other thing I didn't try was wiping to factory settings, though I did wipe the caches.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Cool, thanks, works perfect!! Time to start a forum for the Acer Iconia Smart? :)

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

By the way, on the thread on Modaco they also mentioned "*#*#4225#*#*" to enable Full Screen for all apps (not only the ones programmed to use the full screen - possibly causing issues with apps that do not expect a big screen). Does anyone know where this code came from and whether there's more of these? :)

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
For me it works fine... I tested it using Firefox... (2/3 of screen before the code, full screen after the code)...

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

And yes... Had seen the Launcher Pro steps too but didn't need them :) possibly a difference in version of the ROM I guess :)

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Now that we have root and CWM, what we need next is custom ROMs! Anyone having a go at Cyanogen?

dongfangart

Mar 2, 2012
acer s300 touch screen can not be used~help~~

On my hand a a Acer Iconia Smart (S300),running adriod 2.3.3 rom was Acer_S300_1.000.24_EMEA_gen1,the touch screen can not be used after flash the Acer_S300_1.000.24_AAP_gen2.so,i flash backed,but it`s also can`t be used.However,the CWM recovery flash Successful.can be into USB-download mode and fastboot mode. If anyone can help me I'll share the dump....I will thanks your help~~~~

dongfangart~~

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
On my hand a a Acer Iconia Smart (S300),running adriod 2.3.3 rom was Acer_S300_1.000.24_EMEA_gen1,the touch screen can not be used after flash the Acer_S300_1.000.24_AAP_gen2.so,i flash backed,but it`s also can`t be used.However,the CWM recovery flash Successful.can be into USB-download mode and fastboot mode. If anyone can help me I'll share the dump....I will thanks your help~~~~

dongfangart~~

Touch screen does not work in CWM (which it never does) or in the actual system?! Did you also try flashing "OS_Acer_1.000.24.EMEA.GEN1_A23G_S300" again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi a friend of mine took the time to adapt CWM recovery for the newly released Acer Iconia Smart. I'm sharing that with you as well as an easy tutorial to root your device.

I hope it will help some people.

It's not a one-click method but it remains quite easy if you carefully follow the steps. Just be careful and nothing wrong should happen (the operation is not risk free though).

What you need :

I- Install the driver
    Unless you have already done it.

II- Install a custom recovert menu
    • Plug your Iconia Smart to your PC.
    • Unpack the zip file containing the recovery and superuser.
    • Exexcute install_recovery.cmd and just follow the steps.

III- Prepare to root
    • Once your phone has rebooted copy the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file to your sdcard.
    • Switch off your phone
    • Switch it back on while pressing [vol+], [focus] and power. Keep pressing the buttons until you're in the recovery (yellow text on black screen)
      (You get "focus" by half pressing the camera button.

IV- ROOT !
    To navigate in the recovery menu use vol keys to go up and down, camera to validate and < to go back.
    • click on "install zip from sdcard"
    • then on "choose zip form sdcard"
    • select the file "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip" that you just copied on your SDcard
    • validate and let it run.

Once done go back to the home screen using [<] and click on "reboot system now".

Your phone will reboot and you should have root. Just check if you see a superuser icon in the applications and try to use an app that require root.
    If someone is interested in custom ROM/Kernel for the Iconia Smart, contact me ;)
    Hi all,

I have built CWM Recovery 5.0.2.8 (latest version on the CyanogenMod Repo), see attached. Didn't test much yet, but it does work. Had to make some minor changes to make the display look correct (see here is what helped me do that).

I am now looking for a newer repository, to add:

* Touch - there's supposed to be beta's but couldn't find a repository
    * Internal SD - possibly just a change in one of the files, still investigating

Anyone more info?

:)

Regards,

Nika.
    :mad: download links not working """" This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright """"

Use search, my friend, and read a full thread :)

My post in this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24073767&postcount=21

Contains a newer version:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=966744&d=1332791259

And if you want the old version, use the one from here:
    http://vache-android.com/v1/index.php?site=files&file=128

And the drivers you can get from Acer:
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDF... SMART (S300)&OS=a06&LC=nl&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_18

Regards,

Nika.
    thanks alot my friend u r the only one on the world :) helped me on this device

when i unzipped the recovery file i didnt the file "" su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip "" or any other zip file ?????? but i find a file named s300-recovery and i its image file not zip >>>> and when i try to go to recovery mode it go to fastboot mode "" black screen with 3 coulors """

if i wanna to replace the housing or wanna another battery where i can find it ???????????

I am not sure what you are doing exactly. Please be more specific in the steps to take.

Here's some tips:

1. You are using the old version (S300-Recovery.img), please use S300-Recovery-5.0.2.8.zip. It also contains an img file (recovery.img) which is the same as the S300-recovery.img file in the other zip, but a newer version

2. Make sure you have installed the drivers, like mentioned in step I in the first post

3. After extracting the zip-file you need to run install_recovery.cmd. That will install the new S300 recovery, like mentioned in step II from the first post. It will give you the correct instructions when running the cmd, it will mention you go to the black screen with 3 colors and then you press a key to install the recovery

4. After installing the recovery (going through the steps mentioned in step II) you should install the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip (link found in google) from the recovery. Please follow the steps in III and IV of the original post..

Good luck!

For housing and another battery, also use google. I even replaced my LCD touch by finding it on the internet. Simply search for stuff like "battery acer iconia smart" and such :)