Search This thread

andslide

Nov 6, 2010
Could someone please help me find a work around to an fm radio

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on XDA

vouty

Dec 7, 2010
California
Just use an app called IHeartRadio and has built it local FM station channels.

Sent from my LG-V909 using xda app-developers app

Over the air FM broadcast radio is another feature Samsung chooses to leave out of their phones. Seems like a no-brainer to me to include it, as it was on my HTC Sensation. One time when high winds blew out AC power for over 2 days in my area, the FM radio on my phone was the only way to tune in reports on current conditions.

There are dozens of apps that will play streaming radio over an internet connection, but over the air FM radio reception has to be built in to the chipset on the phone and there is no app that can give you this feature.

kingcarlo12

Nov 26, 2012
This is the best phone I have ever had but I cant believe they didnt include fm radio on it. I also use tunein and iheart but they are battery hogs.

vouty

Dec 7, 2010
California
I have always used Xiialive due to it's perfect integration with Shoutcast. Winamp is also a good choice and can also be your music player.

Last edited:

f4phantomii

Feb 10, 2009
Are you certain the chipset doesn't support it?

I know the stock G2 ROM didn't support it, but the hardware was there. Flashing one of the CM ROMs enabled it and it worked great.

---------
G1(CM7)--> G2(CM9)--> Note 2 T889 stock (root + multiwindow mod)

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Over the air FM broadcast radio is another feature Samsung chooses to leave out of their phones. Seems like a no-brainer to me to include it, as it was on my HTC Sensation. One time when high winds blew out AC power for over 2 days in my area, the FM radio on my phone was the only way to tune in reports on current conditions.

There are dozens of apps that will play streaming radio over an internet connection, but over the air FM radio reception has to be built in to the chipset on the phone and there is no app that can give you this feature.

That is excellent but with the power being out for 2 days how did you keep your phone charged

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

vouty

Dec 7, 2010
California
Are you certain the chipset doesn't support it?

I know the stock G2 ROM didn't support it, but the hardware was there. Flashing one of the CM ROMs enabled it and it worked great.

Pretty sure but would welcome being proven wrong!

That is excellent but with the power being out for 2 days how did you keep your phone charged

I had 2 extra batteries for this phone and used my car to recharge them when they got low.

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Doesn't the international version have fm radio? Although I have to confess... never got spirit fm radio to work on this phone. Worked fine on my G2. I just can't understand why tmobile would leave it out when some of the other models have it. Maybe to sell more data plans, huh? ;)

Postal Psycho

Jan 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Doesn't the international version have fm radio? Although I have to confess... never got spirit fm radio to work on this phone. Worked fine on my G2. I just can't understand why tmobile would leave it out when some of the other models have it. Maybe to sell more data plans, huh? ;)

You are going to hell for turning your back on htc. Lol jk i expected htc droid dna or htc butterfly on your list. But right now i believe note2 is the best.

Reactions: sino8r

el0heem

Apr 2, 2009
pittsburg, ca
i'm not a genius or anything so this is just me throwing ideas around

if you're able to send FM signal, you may be able to develop an app that sends FM signal?

wouldn't that violate FCC, or require some extra licensing that t-mobile or samsung don't want to shell money/time approving?

Postal Psycho

Jan 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Wikipedia says they didn't include the FM tuner with our version of the phone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Note_2 . The N7100 version has the tuner. Like the other poster above, I'd love to be wrong but I think that if the phone had an FM tuner it would have been found by now.

IMO the major U.S. Carriers told Samsung to remove the fm tuner hardware from their versions because they have no way of monetizing it, so they'd rather have you chewing up your data with a radio app.

Last edited:

pogotv

Sep 25, 2007
Yep its always about the $$$. Maybe we can loby congress to mandate all us carriers install the chip.
Claim national security or somthing. It would seem to me a lowsley 50 cent chip could medicate a lot of risk.
My 2cents..

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The major U.S. Carriers told Samsung to remove the fm tuner hardware from their versions because they have no way of monetizing it, so they'd rather have you chewing up your data with a radio app.

Do you have a source for this? Or is it speculation? Isn't is possible that the different baseband that allows LTE simply doesn't have the ability to do FM? As that is a MAJOR difference between the 7100 and 7105 varieties. Either way, unless you have hard proof, you might want to refrain from stating an opinion as a fact, might not turn out so well, especially if you are wrong...

Postal Psycho

Jan 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Do you have a source for this? Or is it speculation? Isn't is possible that the different baseband that allows LTE simply doesn't have the ability to do FM? As that is a MAJOR difference between the 7100 and 7105 varieties. Either way, unless you have hard proof, you might want to refrain from stating an opinion as a fact, might not turn out so well, especially if you are wrong...

Mikereidis is the developer of spirit fm app
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36567961&postcount=5154

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You are going to hell for turning your back on htc. Lol jk i expected htc droid dna or htc butterfly on your list. But right now i believe note2 is the best.
    Wikipedia says they didn't include the FM tuner with our version of the phone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Note_2 . The N7100 version has the tuner. Like the other poster above, I'd love to be wrong but I think that if the phone had an FM tuner it would have been found by now.
    I don't want to be the party pooper here, but I just want to make sure you guys understand that the problem is hardware related, not software related.