[APP][4.2+]DashClock SMS Viewer: View contents of SMS messages in DashClock

Search This thread

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
I've been a fan of DashClock for a long time. But one thing that always seemed misssing about it was that the SMS extension built into it didn't show the contents of the messages you have received. I thought that this couldn't be too hard, and it wasn't.
I grabbed the DashClock SMS extension source and modified it to display the sender in the top part, and the message text in the bottom part. As of version 0.5 it now supports viewing up to 3 separate message threads (as long as you enable that option). As of 0.6 it supports leading to Hangouts. As of 0.7, the issue on Samsung devices (only tested on S3 running stock 4.3) is resolved.

VscxHP8.png

Version History:
  • 0.1: Initial release
  • 0.2: Big thanks to ShortFuse, modified the code which reads the SMS contents to work in more situations and close a possible memory leak
  • 0.2.1: Shifted a string to strings.xml, added Slovak translation
  • 0.3: Redone based on Dashclock 1.5 update. Hopefully this addresses the MMS problems people were having,but I have no way to test.
  • 0.4: You can now view all unread messages instead of the latest one if someone sends you multiple messages. (See picture)
    • Multiple panels for multiple message threads
    • Ability to switch message, sender
    • Settings for each of the above
    • Bugfix for extra line at end of panels
    • Status (the small number at top when your lock slider is showing) shows number of messages per convo when multiple panels enabled, number of unread convos when not enabled.
    • Bugfix: 3rd panel would display 2nd panel messages (unless switch sender/contents was checked)
    • Code cleanup
  • 0.6:
    • Bugfixes, lots of them.
    • Uses method of leading to SMS threads compatible with Hangouts.
    • Option to manually forward the app to Hangouts, in the case this is needed. (more than 4 unread conversations or multi-panel unchecked)
  • 0.7:
    • Now works with TouchWiz (But if you're on TouchWiz do yourself a favor and flash a custom ROM, if possible ;) ) Thanks to my dad for letting me test on his work phone.
    • Updated Slovak translations from pyler.
  • 0.8: Attempt at fixing problem where contents would not show up. Seems to fix when it happens to me but this is on limited circumstances.
  • 0.8.1: Fixed another problem where contacts/messages could not be read.

To do:
  • Read MMS (group messages, say something about a picture) - as of .5 I found a way to do this. But not a way to test.
  • It's not tested on Sense devices (it was reported to be also not working on them). But the fix for Touchwizvshould also fix it for Sense devices.
  • Bug fixes, as they come up
  • If it becomes popular enough, onto the Play Store!

Github: http://github.com/parkedraccoon/DashClockSMSViewer

Attachments

• DashClockSMSViewerV0.2.apk
    198.1 KB · Views: 662
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.2.1.apk
    198.6 KB · Views: 734
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.4.apk
    198.8 KB · Views: 497
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.5.apk
    202.5 KB · Views: 410
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.5.1.apk
    202.5 KB · Views: 690
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.6.apk
    203.1 KB · Views: 500
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.7.apk
    204 KB · Views: 487
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.8.apk
    204 KB · Views: 333
  • DashClockSMSViewerV0.8.1.apk
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:

knapz

Apr 25, 2011
Awesome work! Other extensions that do the same thing required Accessibility Service to work, but would force close some apps for some reason. Yours doesn't require Accessibility Service and is working great.

pyler

Jan 13, 2013
Great work!

Here is Slovak translation :)

Attachments

• values-sk.zip
    728 bytes · Views: 19

Saturn2K

May 30, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just needed to say that I love this app.

I did find one bug in it though.

I have my MMS messages set to not automatically download (thanks to Sprint being kind of dodgy sometimes).

So, sometimes when I get an MMS, this will incorrectly show a seemingly random old text message (although it does show the correct sender).

Last edited:

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
I just needed to say that I love this app.

I did find one bug in it though.

I have my MMS messages set to not automatically download (thanks to Sprint being kind of dodgy sometimes).

So, sometimes when I get an MMS, this will incorrectly show a seemingly random old text message (although it does show the correct sender).
It probably is how it reads the message thread when you have an MMS. I'm not really sure how I would fix it, it's probably a problem in the original DashClock code.

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Updated to version 0.3, check the first post! Hopefully it addresses MMS problems, as the main DashClock dev redid a lot of the code to run the base SMS extension, but I'm not sure if it will actually change anything. Maybe in .4 I'll work on a workaround.

RoseN-95

Mar 19, 2011
Stockholm
Updated to version 0.3, check the first post! Hopefully it addresses MMS problems, as the main DashClock dev redid a lot of the code to run the base SMS extension, but I'm not sure if it will actually change anything. Maybe in .4 I'll work on a workaround.

How do use it? :/ Installed but no app in drawer or widget :/

I9505 running Omega

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
UPDATE

Just use version 0.2.1. It appears that rebasing made it not work right.

From a technical point of view, the messageID value (which is used to seek the right thread and message in the thread) that the old code gave is DIFFERENT than what the new code gives, and the new code's value makes it run wrongly.

I apologize for the problems...in the coming week I'll try to release another update that adds some features.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been a fan of DashClock for a long time. But one thing that always seemed misssing about it was that the SMS extension built into it didn't show the contents of the messages you have received. I thought that this couldn't be too hard, and it wasn't.
    I grabbed the DashClock SMS extension source and modified it to display the sender in the top part, and the message text in the bottom part. As of version 0.5 it now supports viewing up to 3 separate message threads (as long as you enable that option). As of 0.6 it supports leading to Hangouts. As of 0.7, the issue on Samsung devices (only tested on S3 running stock 4.3) is resolved.

VscxHP8.png

Version History:
    • 0.1: Initial release
    • 0.2: Big thanks to ShortFuse, modified the code which reads the SMS contents to work in more situations and close a possible memory leak
    • 0.2.1: Shifted a string to strings.xml, added Slovak translation
    • 0.3: Redone based on Dashclock 1.5 update. Hopefully this addresses the MMS problems people were having,but I have no way to test.
    • 0.4: You can now view all unread messages instead of the latest one if someone sends you multiple messages. (See picture)
      • Multiple panels for multiple message threads
      • Ability to switch message, sender
      • Settings for each of the above
      • Bugfix for extra line at end of panels
      • Status (the small number at top when your lock slider is showing) shows number of messages per convo when multiple panels enabled, number of unread convos when not enabled.
      • Bugfix: 3rd panel would display 2nd panel messages (unless switch sender/contents was checked)
      • Code cleanup
    • 0.6:
      • Bugfixes, lots of them.
      • Uses method of leading to SMS threads compatible with Hangouts.
      • Option to manually forward the app to Hangouts, in the case this is needed. (more than 4 unread conversations or multi-panel unchecked)
    • 0.7:
      • Now works with TouchWiz (But if you're on TouchWiz do yourself a favor and flash a custom ROM, if possible ;) ) Thanks to my dad for letting me test on his work phone.
      • Updated Slovak translations from pyler.
    • 0.8: Attempt at fixing problem where contents would not show up. Seems to fix when it happens to me but this is on limited circumstances.
    • 0.8.1: Fixed another problem where contacts/messages could not be read.

To do:
    • Read MMS (group messages, say something about a picture) - as of .5 I found a way to do this. But not a way to test.
    • It's not tested on Sense devices (it was reported to be also not working on them). But the fix for Touchwizvshould also fix it for Sense devices.
    • Bug fixes, as they come up
    • If it becomes popular enough, onto the Play Store!

Github: http://github.com/parkedraccoon/DashClockSMSViewer
    As I said, here's the update with the added feature. See the first post for the download. The feature is that if you get multiple text messages from a person, they now all appear (as long as they fit) instead of just the last one.

However, if 2 or more people send messages, it still does the same thing, where it says that you have # unread conversations. There's no easy way to make it display the contents of 2 conversations unless I add and the user adds a second extension in DashClock settings, as each extension as it is added can only take up one slot. Should I just leave it as is or add the ability to have more slots?

b3l5lIF.png
    Thanks for this extension but is it possible for you to make it display the message text in the top part and the sender in the bottom like the Google Voice extension does?
    I'll make a settings option in version 0.5.
    UPDATE

Just use version 0.2.1. It appears that rebasing made it not work right.

From a technical point of view, the messageID value (which is used to seek the right thread and message in the thread) that the old code gave is DIFFERENT than what the new code gives, and the new code's value makes it run wrongly.

I apologize for the problems...in the coming week I'll try to release another update that adds some features.
    Tbh, I think this widget extension is so amazing it's fine as it is, what you could do is like one extra panel for now and see how that takes off with the user's....

You should really put this app on the play store too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
    I ended up putting in 2 extra panels. Adding more shouldn't really be too hard now that I have it set up to do so.

.5 update is live, see first post! It now supports viewing up to 3 separate message threads (as long as you enable that option - YOU HAVE TO ADD THE EXTRA PANELS IN DASHCLOCK). There's also a fix for the extra line issue. (which wasn't a dashclock issue, I found I was adding a line after each message instead of before each message except for first) And, also the option people had requested for switch message contents and sender.

VscxHP8.png

Play Store may come soon if I can figure out the mms, which I did find a way to read, it just might be a bit complicated.