Can't move apps to sd card?

Search This thread

aaron130

Mar 19, 2008
Massachusetts
Is it true with kitkat u can't move apps to your sd card? If so then what is even the point of using an sd card? Just pics and movies? Which with 50gb of google drive u don't even need that, correct?

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
My #1 for an sd card is music storage. Finally, I can have a larger local library that doesn't need to be streamed.

Sent From My HTC One!

AarSyl

I still have the Evo LTE, and I will get the M8 eventually. I use my SD card to store my pictures, music, Titanium Backup folder, TWRP backups, and my very organized "Aaaaaa" folder. (For the record, I gave it that name so that it will be on the top of the list of every file manager, and especially for recovery mode. Coming from the days of the OG Evo, I didn't like clicking the volume buttons so many times.)

The better question is, why do you want to move your apps to the SD card? You have ample app space. Besides, the apps would only be moved to the internal SD, anyway. At least that's how the Evo LTE handled it.

As for Google Drive, that's only good when you have a data connection. I don't want to sort through my list of files named IMG1005-IMG1203 to find one picture, when I can use the stock gallery and get a beautiful preview. Also useless if you are on a plane with no wifi.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Is it true with kitkat u can't move apps to your sd card? If so then what is even the point of using an sd card? Just pics and movies? Which with 50gb of google drive u don't even need that, correct?
Even though this device has 32GB internal storage, so it's likely unneeded, you can still move apps to (external) SD card, using the built in functionality, for apps that support it.

gutrrob

Jun 6, 2008
It is possible to move apps! Go into Setting select Apps and pick a downloaded app scroll down till you see a button that says move...I did this to all my large games

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

indiscriminant

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
For those of you who already have your M8, does it allow you to move google music/video files to the SD Card? I could do it on my old LTE but obviously didn't have an SD card for my M7.

This allows you the best of both worlds if you use something like Google Music/Movies, you can stream when you have connection, but can store specific playlists/movies and not have it clog up your memory if you can move it to the larger SD card.

gutrrob

Jun 6, 2008
That's good. But why?

25gb of storage isn't a lot when when some games are 2gb...One thing I hated with my OG one is having to delete a game just to install another game.

I get downtime at work and use entertainment to pass time

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

theo213

Jan 17, 2011
File Transfer

Soooo I may have overlooked it (although I highly doubt it) but, is there a native file viewer on the M8 that will allow us to transfer files to the SD Card? Perhaps an apk from an old HTC "my files" app or something? I guess I can wait for a ROM with those restrictions removed but I'm impatient...