[Q] Rubber gasket fell out

Search This thread

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
I have had my Ultra Z since January. Zero problems, but this morning I removed my USB charger at work and a rubber gasket (see pic) fell out. Now the door does not close properly. I have the gasket and tried to work it back in but it would not go. There is a small tab and I cannot tell if it goes up (towards the screen) or down. I think I can get it back in with a toothpick or similar but want it to stay (and not lose it) and for it to re-seal the door properly. Not being able to close the USB door is a BIG deal to me.

I had been meaning to get a docking charger but bought some from China and they were crap. Guess I'll have to break down and get a real DK30.

Attachments

• DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 420

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
Try crazy glue very very small amount and please let it dry fully before putting the cap back into the phone!!!

Thanks Jammol. I'll try to figure this out. When I place it in the position it appears to belong in (now that I look closely I can see the small tab indention on the cap) but the part is so small I cannot even handle it with my big fat fingers, and don't really have a magnification station and stability setup to do it.

Big question is for the people who have had the cap break off, is there a source for the whole cap? Is it possible to install without taking the whole phone apart? Would it make sense to just throw it away and forget it was there?

Thanks Jammol. I'll try to figure this out. When I place it in the position it appears to belong in (now that I look closely I can see the small tab indention on the cap) but the part is so small I cannot even handle it with my big fat fingers, and don't really have a magnification station and stability setup to do it.

Big question is for the people who have had the cap break off, is there a source for the whole cap? Is it possible to install without taking the whole phone apart? Would it make sense to just throw it away and forget it was there?

I don't know what part of the world you are in but you can check these out. Couple folks have bought them:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Son...zer_Ersatzteile_Werkzeuge&hash=item2339fdd95e

I say just replaced the entire cap with one of those and call it good. Mine is experiencing the same thing, tearing off little by little. I think that is where water might be getting into my phone, but I'll be replacing the phone soon anyways. Just not sure what to get yet.

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
I have not gotten mine wet yet other than rain in my pocket but the lines are much better with the cap on than removed, and I'd worry about the edge material getting pulled off the rest of the phone. I appreciate the ebay refrence and will try to find a US version. So is there a way to remove the old cap without breaking it off internally and having the tab rattling around inside?

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
I ordered a couple of the caps and a magnetic charger off thEbay US, but seller was in Spain so it will be a while. Crappy design trying to get rubber to adhere to plastic.

Does anyone know how to safely remove the old one? Just yank? slip something very thin in to try to get the tab to ride over the notch?

Thanks,
Marc

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
Super glue is what bonds o-rings to other materials because of the greasy slippery surface. Mine has also come loose. Contact glue, industrial glue or anything else wont bite on that thing because of its chemical resistance that the o-ring has.

try to get a hold of a bottle of Loctite 401 meanwhile if you can't wait for the parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCTITE-401...Instant-Adhesive-Super-Glue-20g-/121407567300

to remove the old one just pull..just a bit harder ...its kind of some bend at the end of the flap that's holding the thing in place inside the device.

Last edited:

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
Apply with a pin or paper clip I take it?

Super glue is what bonds o-rings to other materials because of the greasy slippery surface. Mine has also come loose. Contact glue, industrial glue or anything else wont bite on that thing because of its chemical resistance that the o-ring has.

try to get a hold of a bottle of Loctite 401 meanwhile if you can't wait for the parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCTITE-401...Instant-Adhesive-Super-Glue-20g-/121407567300

to remove the old one just pull..just a bit harder ...its kind of some bend at the end of the flap that's holding the thing in place inside the device.

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
Apply with a pin or paper clip I take it?

mmm something like that I dunno really.. I've yet have to figure this out myself lol. Use your imagination! :laugh:

At my moms work when I was young they had superglue bottles from loctite with really tiny metal pipes attached on them :rolleyes: I wonder what loctite model that is. They could be used to do any precision work!

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
So it's possible to get the new one in properly once I get the old one out? From this picture it appears the new tab should slide in but I'm worried if you have to tug hard to get the old one out.

$_12.JPG

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
calm down...just pull on it. You won't break anything :cowboy:

edit: its no big deal to get the new one in

Last edited:

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
I got the replacement parts from thEbay tonight. Pulled on the old one and it came right out. Took 2-3 tries to get new one in. Tether was bunching up. Turns out if you hold it at about 45 regress it goes right in.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: SUPERUSER

gparmar84

Dec 13, 2008
gutted!

I am so gutted i didn't see this thread before I sent my phone to Sony for warranty repair.

My gasket didn't fall off, it started to come unstuck so was hanging off and when closing the lid the gasket would unroll and the lid would open.

I sent it to Sony as I think this is there fault. The gasket should stay attached for the duration of the warranty.

They want to charge me £55 for repair, handling and shipping!! I have had my claim escalated and now they say 'upon further inspection the device is bent'!! They are willing to send it back free of charge should I not want to have it repaired...... But should I now expect the device they send back to me to bent when I know full well it was in near perfect condition when I sent to them?!?!

The bottom line is follow instructions from this thread. DO NOT send your phone to Sony.

Sony use 'authorised repair centres' so they don't even know what is going on with your device and the trust you put in Sony to give your device to a respected engineer is misplaced.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    gutted!

I am so gutted i didn't see this thread before I sent my phone to Sony for warranty repair.

My gasket didn't fall off, it started to come unstuck so was hanging off and when closing the lid the gasket would unroll and the lid would open.

I sent it to Sony as I think this is there fault. The gasket should stay attached for the duration of the warranty.

They want to charge me £55 for repair, handling and shipping!! I have had my claim escalated and now they say 'upon further inspection the device is bent'!! They are willing to send it back free of charge should I not want to have it repaired...... But should I now expect the device they send back to me to bent when I know full well it was in near perfect condition when I sent to them?!?!

The bottom line is follow instructions from this thread. DO NOT send your phone to Sony.

Sony use 'authorised repair centres' so they don't even know what is going on with your device and the trust you put in Sony to give your device to a respected engineer is misplaced.
    I got the replacement parts from thEbay tonight. Pulled on the old one and it came right out. Took 2-3 tries to get new one in. Tether was bunching up. Turns out if you hold it at about 45 regress it goes right in.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app