Functional Hotspot Toggle???Using Tasker???

Search This thread

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Has anyone found a hotspot toggle that works reliably? Neither Power Toggles nor Widgetsoid are able to turn it on, seemingly because the phone needs to verify the service. They can turn it off ok. It is one of the little annoyances that seem to really bother me. Once in a while I saw it turn on successfully but usually I have to go into settings.

I like Power Toggles design and features but I'd jump ship for this toggle. I'd prefer a widget that allowed multiple toggles on a bar style set up, but a stand alone widget could work

Last edited:

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA

Thanks for the recommendation.
Tried it, but it doesn't work as I hoped. It is primarily a shortcut to the settings menu. I am seeking a one touch hotspot widget, like Power Toggles and Widgetsoid were on my last Android phones. With previous phones I could have a switch that turned hotspot on and off without entering settings; I rarely used the setting menu, as I should be able to access the most frequent things like brightness, hotspot, and sound without going into the menus.

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Since NO play store toggles seem to work I turned to Tasker. I've been using Tasker on and off since it came out. Usually for simple tasks like this toggle. However I cannot get Tasker to do it either. The toggle seems to work to switch the setting but the authorization delay before the phone turns it on seems to mess it up.
Any ideas?

brivette007

Oct 30, 2010
Akron, OH
If you're rooted, you can get the stock touchwiz hotspot toggle back (that should be in with the quick toggles on the notification pane) with a little digging.

This is the thread I went to to get the mobile data toggle back, but the same works for the hotspot toggle:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721550

Basically you need to get sqlite and use it to modify values in your settings.db file. Follow his instructions, but instead of adding MobileData; add WiFiHotspot; (case sensitive and don't forget the semicolon)

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
If you're rooted, you can get the stock touchwiz hotspot toggle back (that should be in with the quick toggles on the notification pane) with a little digging.

This is the thread I went to to get the mobile data toggle back, but the same works for the hotspot toggle:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721550

Basically you need to get sqlite and use it to modify values in your settings.db file. Follow his instructions, but instead of adding MobileData; add WiFiHotspot; (case sensitive and don't forget the semicolon)
That's buggy as well. It works great for data and the other toggles work great as well, just not the hotspot. That's probably why AT&T disabled the toggle from original firmware. The toggle was actually there when I only flashed the AP file from the firmware, but disappeared after the other files were flashed.