JB 4.3 vs KitKat 4.4.2

Search This thread

starterz

Mar 5, 2013
Skopje
about.me
Hello everyone,

Since there is still no proper root and recovery for the M2 on KitKat, would someone who has upgraded from JB to KitKat be able to write their experience with KitKat so far? Are there enough KitKat advantages over JB 4.3 in order to upgrade while losing root? Is it maybe better to wait until a proper root and recovery is available?

Thanks and all best.

Reactions: pancepaki

wrtease5865

Sep 1, 2012
kilmarnock
how did you get root ,is your bootloader unlocked.i have root without it unlocked .this is weird i got a update telling me to update so i did it and now i have a d2306.which is not my model ,my model is d2303 .and still have root without bootloader unlocked .

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
According to the AOSP sources, KitKat finally fixes the A2DP bitpool being way too low (320kbps vs 229 on 4.3 and below), so if you want to use a BT headset, it's worth considering. On the other hand apps lose the right to write to SD card with KitKat, which you cannot fix without root, and root seems to be impossible with a locked bootloader.

wrtease5865

Sep 1, 2012
kilmarnock
yes it can be done .root can be done on kitkat .i had jb 4.3 uk,then i had kk rusian ,then decided to falsh back to 4.3 but i flashed wrong country and had brazil jb4.3 then used toewlroot then superuser then whent to about and checked for updates and got the brazil kk update,i was thinking it was uk ,so i let it run and when finished i had d2306,insead of d2303 which is my model and have still got root just need a cwm recovery and am ready to backup all .my story .

ripp2003

Mar 25, 2011
Ferfay
yes it can be done .root can be done on kitkat .i had jb 4.3 uk,then i had kk rusian ,then decided to falsh back to 4.3 but i flashed wrong country and had brazil jb4.3 then used toewlroot then superuser then whent to about and checked for updates and got the brazil kk update,i was thinking it was uk ,so i let it run and when finished i had d2306,insead of d2303 which is my model and have still got root just need a cwm recovery and am ready to backup all .my story .

root ok but do you have system partition mounted r/w ? I think no.... you have kk routed to 50%

wrtease5865

Sep 1, 2012
kilmarnock
okay how would i check what app

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

yes cant r/w system but have root up to a point as you say but this is okay as ive not unlocked my bootloader .better than none .

ripp2003

Mar 25, 2011
Ferfay
okay how would i check what app

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

yes cant r/w system but have root up to a point as you say but this is okay as ive not unlocked my bootloader .better than none .

This is strange but good point for you. I 'm OK with you, better ;)

krzycho26

Mar 25, 2012
Sopot
dotzi75:
I have root with kitkat! It is much more better than JB!

Colleague
You praised sure that you have root on the 18.3.C.0.37 2303.
Very strange thing, so far none have succeeded, of course, access to r/w system
Be so kind and betray us how you did it.
Step by step - you'll be very grateful :good:
Regards

lozohcum

Jan 14, 2013
Internety
Colleague
You praised sure that you have root on the 18.3.C.0.37 2303.
Very strange thing, so far none have succeeded, of course, access to r/w system
Be so kind and betray us how you did it.
Step by step - you'll be very grateful :good:
Regards

You can try install D2305 kernel with CWM, install ZIP package with root and then install stock original kernel.
It may not work.

krzycho26

Mar 25, 2012
Sopot
Originally Posted by lozohcum :
You can try install D2305 kernel with CWM, install ZIP package with root and then install stock original kernel.
It may not work.

I tried with CWM -> 2302, but after flash lack of access to the system r / w.
I think I'll wait until someone finally do the appropriate CWM and kernel for 2303 ;)

starterz

Mar 5, 2013
Skopje
about.me
Please don't stray from the original topic. This was meant to discuss and compare JB 4.3 to KitKat 4.4.2. Not taking root into consideration, what are are the main advantages of KitKat 4.4.2 vs JB 4.3? Mostly concerning performance, RAM/CPU management, battery? Still thinking if I should upgrade, as I am very satisfied with the performance of a rooted/xposed JB 4.3 at the moment. Thanks for any input on making a decision.

madhouses

Apr 25, 2012
Hi iam disappointed from 4.4.2 on my m2. Moved app to sd lost from home screen after restart and there is also problem with sound sync in games like death trigger 2 and others. For me was better 4.3 even without any changes

Sent from my D2303 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: pancepaki

peter-k

Jul 31, 2013
Singapore
Please don't stray from the original topic. This was meant to discuss and compare JB 4.3 to KitKat 4.4.2. Not taking root into consideration, what are are the main advantages of KitKat 4.4.2 vs JB 4.3? Mostly concerning performance, RAM/CPU management, battery? Still thinking if I should upgrade, as I am very satisfied with the performance of a rooted/xposed JB 4.3 at the moment. Thanks for any input on making a decision.

I see that 4.4 has better memory management. Battery is abt the same for me (=good). Functionally there is not too much difference. The transparent adaptable notification and navigation area are a joke.

Consider staying with 4.3 rooted / debloated, instead of 4.4 heavily bloated and no root.

starterz

Mar 5, 2013
Skopje
about.me
Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to stick with JB 4.3 for the moment, at least untill proper root/recovery is available for KitKat. I am not a big fan of the rooting process as it stands this moment.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I see that 4.4 has better memory management. Battery is abt the same for me (=good). Functionally there is not too much difference. The transparent adaptable notification and navigation area are a joke.

Consider staying with 4.3 rooted / debloated, instead of 4.4 heavily bloated and no root.
    Hello everyone,

Since there is still no proper root and recovery for the M2 on KitKat, would someone who has upgraded from JB to KitKat be able to write their experience with KitKat so far? Are there enough KitKat advantages over JB 4.3 in order to upgrade while losing root? Is it maybe better to wait until a proper root and recovery is available?

Thanks and all best.
    Hi iam disappointed from 4.4.2 on my m2. Moved app to sd lost from home screen after restart and there is also problem with sound sync in games like death trigger 2 and others. For me was better 4.3 even without any changes

Sent from my D2303 using XDA Free mobile app
    However I can't see KK any much different than 4.3 on the M2. It is the same soup with a bit different colour. Unlike on my V, where it breathes new live to it.
    ... snip

Following up my own above post, I removed 4.4 from my phone.

- It requires abt 80 - 100 Mb more RAM
    - is somewhat lesser responsive
    - uses slightly more battery power
    - there is no added user value

+ lesser RAM, more responsive, better battery
    + can be rooted easily
    + can activate init.d easily without getting kicked on every boot
    + the JB quick toggles are more practical
    + GPS switch that I can activate at MY will
    - brightness pumping at times
    - camera images beyond my expectations

To the last two points, I installed Focus (camera) and YABB (factory auto-brightness replacement).
    KitKat has better ram management and supports more things than outdated JellyBean.
    It's always better to have the latest android version.