[Q] HTC One Bootloop

Search This thread

carnthepies

Aug 23, 2014
Recently I rooted my HTC One. I was on the official Sense 6 ROM with 4.4.2, then Telstra released an OTA update for 4.4.3. I wanted to download this so I used this:

htc1guru.com /downloads/ stock-rom-downloads

To do a stock reset and it worked. I started downloading one of the many OTA updates that had accrued since 4.2.2 and after the first one installed I ended up in a boot loop. I've put TWRP back onto the phone and can boot into Recovery but I can't install get any ROMs to install. Please help. Any ideas?

It's a Telstra phone from Australia.
S-ON
HBOOT 1.57

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Recently I rooted my HTC One. I was on the official Sense 6 ROM with 4.4.2, then Telstra released an OTA update for 4.4.3. I wanted to download this so I used this:

htc1guru.com /downloads/ stock-rom-downloads

To do a stock reset and it worked. I started downloading one of the many OTA updates that had accrued since 4.2.2 and after the first one installed I ended up in a boot loop. I've put TWRP back onto the phone and can boot into Recovery but I can't install get any ROMs to install. Please help. Any ideas?

It's a Telstra phone from Australia.
S-ON
HBOOT 1.57
You have a mismatch between your firmware and OS. The Guru Reset was too old of a version. Since, you are S-ON you can not downgrade your hboot, firmware or OS; it has to be the same or higher. Your hboot 1.57 means your version will start with 5.XX.841.X. Unless, you have a nandroid backup you are going to have to use this guide to return to stock. You will need to follow the guide far enough to get OTAs.

carnthepies

Aug 23, 2014
You have a mismatch between your firmware and OS. The Guru Reset was too old of a version. Since, you are S-ON you can not downgrade your hboot, firmware or OS; it has to be the same or higher. Your hboot 1.57 means your version will start with 5.XX.841.X. Unless, you have a nandroid backup you are going to have to use this guide to return to stock. You will need to follow the guide far enough to get OTAs.

I haven't been able to locate a nandroid backup for TWRP for this phone.

Also, is there a way to get S-OFF if I can't boot my phone into Android? All S-OFF methods seem to require this.

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
I haven't been able to locate a nandroid backup for TWRP for this phone.

Also, is there a way to get S-OFF if I can't boot my phone into Android? All S-OFF methods seem to require this.
What is the state of your phone? When it bootloops what were you doing prior to it bootlooping?
Is the bootloader unlocked?
What version is your TWRP?
Since you have TWRP installed can you boot into the bootloader screen from TWRP?
Are you familiar with adb & fastboot?
When you connect your phone to your PC does the PC recognize the phone and are you able to move files from the PC to the phone?
Which rom were you trying to flash on your phone?

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

You might try to contact @thejosh86 from this post to see if he can provide you with a nandroid backup OS 5.11.841.9.

carnthepies

Aug 23, 2014
What is the state of your phone? When it bootloops what were you doing prior to it bootlooping?
Is the bootloader unlocked?
What version is your TWRP?
Since you have TWRP installed can you boot into the bootloader screen from TWRP?
Are you familiar with adb & fastboot?
When you connect your phone to your PC does the PC recognize the phone and are you able to move files from the PC to the phone?
Which rom were you trying to flash on your phone?

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

You might try to contact @thejosh86 from this post to see if he can provide you with a nandroid backup OS 5.11.841.9.

I had initially gone back to 4.2.2, and was installing one of the updates. When the phone booted up after trying to install the update it just started into its bootloop.
Bootloader is unlocked.
TWRP v2.7.1.1
I am familiar enough with adb and fastboot
PC doesn't recognise the phone but I have pushed files to the phone using adb and fastboot
I was trying to flash back to the custom ROM, but stupidly it was an old version and I encountered the problem above (mismatching firmware/OS)

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
I had initially gone back to 4.2.2, and was installing one of the updates. When the phone booted up after trying to install the update it just started into its bootloop.
Bootloader is unlocked.
TWRP v2.7.1.1
I am familiar enough with adb and fastboot
PC doesn't recognise the phone but I have pushed files to the phone using adb and fastboot
I was trying to flash back to the custom ROM, but stupidly it was an old version and I encountered the problem above (mismatching firmware/OS)
I have look and can not find firmware, rom or recovery for your phone. Are you running Win 8.1 by chance? If you are the reason it can not see your phone is that the hboot has been downgraded to 1.44. If that is the case, you will have to find a Win 7 machine or use Linux on a USB FAQ Q#5 for the fastboot to work. If you go this route, then make sure you use V12.04 you will have to scroll down the page to Alternative downloads to find the older version. The newer version require a lot more work to install. The big downside to Linux is that you can not run exe files but zip run just fine. If fastboot works then let's take a look at a fastboot getvar all with the imei and serialno removed.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
use Linux on a USB FAQ Q#5 for the fastboot to work. If you go this route, then make sure you use V12.04 you will have to scroll down the page to Alternative downloads to find the older version. The newer version require a lot more work to install.

just fyi, i've also used 14.04 LTS and 14.04.1 LTS (32 bit), and the same commands work just fine to install adb & fastboot (nothing else needed)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

the only thing to watch out for (in any of the versions), is sometimes "sudo apt-get update", doesn't fully update from the first time, and has to be done again, until it updates the repos properly.

carnthepies

Aug 23, 2014
I have look and can not find firmware, rom or recovery for your phone. Are you running Win 8.1 by chance? If you are the reason it can not see your phone is that the hboot has been downgraded to 1.44. If that is the case, you will have to find a Win 7 machine or use Linux on a USB FAQ Q#5 for the fastboot to work. If you go this route, then make sure you use V12.04 you will have to scroll down the page to Alternative downloads to find the older version. The newer version require a lot more work to install. The big downside to Linux is that you can not run exe files but zip run just fine. If fastboot works then let's take a look at a fastboot getvar all with the imei and serialno removed.

I'm running windows 7.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0714000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELST001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4339mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-e47fb74b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

Thanks for your help.

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
I'm running windows 7.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0714000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELST001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4339mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-e47fb74b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

Thanks for your help.
If you can not get a nandroid for your phone, I would try to flash a stock custom rom like Android Revolution HD or MaximusHD. If you can get these installed on the phone and working. Then I would try to S-OFF so you can downgrade to the RUU that is available for .841 and let the phone do the OTAs to catch up or change to the International (.401) version or the DevEd (.1540) version.