[Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!

Search This thread

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
Nice spot quadlight, hope this gets updated soon.

Has anyone heard if the galaxy nexus is showing any banding issues in ICS, would be good to know if samsung doesnt have the same problem in the latest android using the same screen tech.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

QuadLight

Feb 11, 2008
Nice spot quadlight, hope this gets updated soon.

Has anyone heard if the galaxy nexus is showing any banding issues in ICS, would be good to know if samsung doesnt have the same problem in the latest android using the same screen tech.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

No such problems on galaxy nexus. And this is not technology problem - just somebody in samsung have a problem in "\dev\nands" :) :) :)

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Oh you are not... I have it too...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

I went to a samsung concept store and saw the demo unit it also had the same issue, but they had more horizontal lines but it was actually thinner or a bit more fine than what I have.. At 50% brightness its completely gone in any color except greys but on low brightness it looks a lot more horrible than mine. We also popped out a stocked unit ( sealed ) and it also had the horizontal lines.

Gonna check on another samsung store next week and see if its the same.

Id also like to add that the demo unit they had also had absolutely no color shift what so ever when tilted an an extreme angle, the other unit we opened up had a greenish hue even with the slightest tilt.

Last edited:

ariboi

Jul 4, 2010
Lipa
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
So what your saying is that due to the relatively small market for this phone samsung is actually slacking on the QA? I think you didnt understand what I ment :)

What EarlZ meant is that no matter how ever small the market is, this phone was marketed on the super amoled HD screen quality (can't believe I fell for that)... it has nothing to do with the size of the market... just the USP of the product...

I agree with your point EarlZ... How could a device of such high value go through QC without being held back.... the blacks definitely arnt as black as they were/are on other galaxy amoled devices... dunno if software update could fix that... or even the horizontal lines issue...

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

I went to a samsung concept store and saw the demo unit it also had the same issue, but they had more horizontal lines but it was actually thinner or a bit more fine than what I have.. At 50% brightness its completely gone in any color except greys but on low brightness it looks a lot more horrible than mine. We also popped out a stocked unit ( sealed ) and it also had the horizontal lines.

Gonna check on another samsung store next week and see if its the same.

Id also like to add that the demo unit they had also had absolutely no color shift what so ever when tilted an an extreme angle, the other unit we opened up had a greenish hue even with the slightest tilt.

It seems as if there is 0 consistency with the manufacturing... :mad:

Wouldn't store demo units be better than the packed ones? after all, the demo units does the convincing job for the company?:confused:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I think the demo units are just pulled off from the retail chain.

On the side note though they had a new Galaxy S2 demo unit and I was really impressed by the screen, it still came with some ancient firmware but absolutely no yellow tinting what so ever, even the grey rendering is LCD like, perfect no grains no lines totally solid.

Last edited:

3sade

Nov 17, 2008
Good news guys! Supercurio just bought a Galaxy Note and is working on bad screen calibration issues, see my twitter @FoOtY1337

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Good news guys! Supercurio just bought a Galaxy Note and is working on bad screen calibration issues, see my twitter @FoOtY1337

Previous tweet was to short to be clear:
I started working on the Note (mDNIe sharpness filter) but not on calibration issues; Pentile fuzzyness bothers me.

I don't know yet if I'll keep the device, after a few days of usage it feels wrong in my small hands, I'm not convinced.

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Note: I read the display/color driver code already, even if I didn't started working on it.

The color profiling management is very different from previous Samsung Super AMOLED devices, inspired by Nexus S driver design which is mostly right but ended up with disastrous visual result because of inadequate configuration.

I could recognize the same signature, targeting sRGB response curve instead of a simple gamma 2.2 curve.

As Super AMOLED display's black point is almost zero and sRGB count ambient light as black point, it just cannot work: as you noticed, shadows are too bright until it you suddenly reach black, and the transition between both is abrupt.

Last edited:

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris
The Gamma on the Note is close to 1 where is should be close to the 2.2 standard value. 2.5 could be accpetable, but 1 is not.

3sade

Nov 17, 2008
Note: I read the display/color driver code already, even if I didn't started working on it.

The color profiling management is very different from previous Samsung Super AMOLED devices, inspired by Nexus S driver design which is right but ended up with disastrous visual result because of inadequate configuration.

I could recognize the same signature, targeting sRGB response curve instead of a simple gamma 2.2 curve.

As Super AMOLED display's black point is almost zero and sRGB count ambient light as black point, it just cannot work: as you noticed, shadows are too bright until it you suddenly reach black, and the transition between both is abrupt.

Thanks for clearing this up mate, will it cost much time to make a better calibration for this phone and will you be doing it regarding of you not beeing sure keeping the device? :)

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris
Measurements please.
Gamma 1 seems not possible to me, unless your sample is totally off-specs.

I have used this page as a reference to figure out the Note screen gamma and it's more close to 1 than the standard 2.2 curve.

On the RVBW@48% I see values close to 1.2 1.4
On the green and greys@10% I see something close to 1.7 1.8 but I could be wrong or mistaken ;)

EDIT: A mobile version is also available with a quite nice gamma test too.

Last edited:

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Thanks for clearing this up mate, will it cost much time to make a better calibration for this phone and will you be doing it regarding of you not beeing sure keeping the device? :)

Yes it will cost a huge amount of time.

My device is lcdtype=3 so... If there are 2 other screen variants or maybe even more, it means that even if I manage to do something for mine it might be helpless for other screens.

One last point: as the init sequence configure the gamma points for a sRGB-simulated response curve it might be impossible to get a great result (only less bad) even after a lot of work.

Galaxy Note becomes popular but its still a tiny fraction compared to other devices like Galaxy S II. It means I might work on it during months and never even cover the initial purchase price with hypothetical app sales.

So, now you know: it doesn't look good.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Im a sad panda...

I dont even expect Samsung to fix or recognize this issue.

How do we get that lcdtype= 3 ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, and i have seen it in my device. Do not fear, it is not a hardware fault, and is not caused by your drop:

Go to settings / display and scroll down. You will see 'auto adjust screen power' and when this is checked it seems to cause this, although i agree it is barely noticeable.

I keep mine checked because i prefer the potential power savings
    Stop wasting your time!

Don't take this personally, but GET A REFUND, NOW!

done:
    confirm these problems: had 14 (!!!) notes so far (some 16 gb internal, some 32gb internal, all bought in austria), ALL OF THEM SUFFERED MORE OR LESS FROM THIS PROBLEMS!
    as a technically very skilled person i know what i'm writing about, also on xda-developers.com in the note section are HUGE threads regarding this problems! additionally, there are also problems with unevenness with grey and brown colors, dark blotches and lines (display a black image, go into a dark room and let your eyes accommodate for at least 1 min) ON ALL SCREENS I'VE SEEN SO FAR!!!
    i love my note, BUT THE SCREEN IS C R A P DUE TO MANUFACTURING PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!
    me too will exchange until my screen is worth the money i paid for it, so i'm sure samsung wont earn money on me, AND ITS NOT MY FAULT! regards from austria, markus
    ..anyone can answer if this abrupt transition can be fixed? ..Can it be a software issue that may be solved with a calibration tool, an updated firmware or ICS, or is a hardware constraint?

I can tell is that it's not a hardware issue at all.

All a matter of color profile.
    Just recieved my Note! It's so ****ing awesome! No dead pixels, black and white is superb but there's some banding on grey color, but the Desire HD also has this so big deal! I'm not gonna ruin this device for myself by analyzing every little part of it like you guys do.

Enjoy it, or you know.. not. Your choice.