Dust underneath the screen - manufacturing defect

Do you have dust under your screen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

apex84

May 22, 2011
Crap! Just noticed dust on the middle right side. Serial SH16 bought on Aug 4 2011 so I managed to get 9 months without any dust at least. And now I'm abroad so I have to wait till the end of June when I go back home to send it in for replacement. Sucks..

tony.wheeler

Feb 25, 2005
Swindon
Dust RMA now 'As New' handset in Warranty

Just thought I'd report my experience. I am in the UK and bought a handset (not locked) and I noticed the dust issue after about 2 months with my handset. I put up with it because I did not want to loose my new Sensation!

It's now about 10 mths old and the dust had gradually got slightly worse (RHS middle) so I contacted HTC UK. The service was absolutely faultless! :) I called the UK contact and the handset was collected by UPS on Tuesday - that was 3.5 days ago and this morning I received my now perfect handset back.

I have checked and it's the same Serial number and IMEI - but looks like new. The letter that came with it lists all the parts used (see image below).
imag0175small.jpg

Of course I need to unlock the handset but it has been returned updated and after a 19 Mb update just now (from HTC) it now has Android 4.03 and Sense 3.6.

That's all from me - only time will tell whether the dust returns and HTC have actually fixed the screen gap issue - if not then I have more than a year more left of my 2 year HTC UK warranty to rely upon.

BTW: I forgot to add that I returned the rooted handset with Android Revolution and super CID etc all on the handset. I made no effort to remove it as I reasoned that HTC were being asked to replace what was a faulty screen and the issue did not relate to software in any way. You should know that when you return a handset in the UK it goes to an HTC agent (Regenersis PLC, Cambridge) and they state that they will wipe the handset of all data as it would be returned with a new software (ROM etc) load. Clearly this HTC update while being 'fixed' was not affected by the root I had done - I do not know if it is still rooted....

Last edited:
Reactions: Phateless

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Just thought I'd report my experience. I am in the UK and bought a handset (not locked) and I noticed the dust issue after about 2 months with my handset. I put up with it because I did not want to loose my new Sensation!

It's now about 10 mths old and the dust had gradually got slightly worse (RHS middle) so I contacted HTC UK. The service was absolutely faultless! :) I called the UK contact and the handset was collected by UPS on Tuesday - that was 3.5 days ago and this morning I received my now perfect handset back.

I have checked and it's the same Serial number and IMEI - but looks like new. The letter that came with it lists all the parts used (see image below).
imag0175small.jpg

Of course I need to unlock the handset but it has been returned updated and after a 19 Mb update just now (from HTC) it now has Android 4.03 and Sense 3.6.

That's all from me - only time will tell whether the dust returns and HTC have actually fixed the screen gap issue - if not then I have more than a year more left of my 2 year HTC UK warranty to rely upon.

BTW: I forgot to add that I returned the rooted handset with Android Revolution and super CID etc all on the handset. I made no effort to remove it as I reasoned that HTC were being asked to replace what was a faulty screen and the issue did not relate to software in any way. You should know that when you return a handset in the UK it goes to an HTC agent (Regenersis PLC, Cambridge) and they state that they will wipe the handset of all data as it would be returned with a new software (ROM etc) load. Clearly this HTC update while being 'fixed' was not affected by the root I had done - I do not know if it is still rooted....

Was this for free or did they charge you anything?

Sent from my Sensation using xda premium

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Its been about 2 months since I did the silicone fix.

The dust hasnt gotten any worse.

Just thought id share.

Sent from a rebel ship by storing the message in an R2 unit. (Help me, XDA. You're my only hope)

mage3

May 3, 2012
Bought my sensation in july 2011 and still no dust under glass whatsoever. The thing is I've been using a case since 2 weeks in from the purchase. The case is some kind of silicone rubbery stuff and is not exactly snug fit, but still covers the screen edges.

I have no warranty on the phone though, as i bought it from amazon dealer in the US and now Im back home in Bulgaria. My question is - is the dust under screen inevitable, or only small percentage of handsets get it? Because I really don't want to figure out where to send it for repairs and how much it will cost.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA

roytev

Oct 25, 2010
tel aviv
just got my phone from arvato in greece the phone came to me with a sharp screen it's way better then auo and for now with no dust :)

laxin

Dec 25, 2011
Wörgl
first i had a sensation with an acer screen which got dust underneath, it was also somehow a low quality unit and i really didn't like it, i went back to the store where i bought it and told them about the problems i had with the phone. they replaced it with another one and the first thing i immediately realized was how beautiful the screen quality was on the new one. the second unit had a sharp panel and none of the problems which i mentioned before. therefore my conclusion is, that the units with an acer panel are lower quality than the ones with a sharp panel ;)

mage3

May 3, 2012
How do you distinguish between the different panels?

mage3

May 3, 2012
Bought my sensation in july 2011 and still no dust under glass whatsoever. The thing is I've been using a case since 2 weeks in from the purchase. The case is some kind of silicone rubbery stuff and is not exactly snug fit, but still covers the screen edges.

I have no warranty on the phone though, as i bought it from amazon dealer in the US and now Im back home in Bulgaria. My question is - is the dust under screen inevitable, or only small percentage of handsets get it? Because I really don't want to figure out where to send it for repairs and how much it will cost.

Please guys, I don't have access to warranty here, so its really important for me to know what is the chance of this happening.

crisisinthecity

Nov 8, 2009
Cincinnati
www.ripplejunction.com
first i had a sensation with an acer screen which got dust underneath, it was also somehow a low quality unit and i really didn't like it, i went back to the store where i bought it and told them about the problems i had with the phone. they replaced it with another one and the first thing i immediately realized was how beautiful the screen quality was on the new one. the second unit had a sharp panel and none of the problems which i mentioned before. therefore my conclusion is, that the units with an acer panel are lower quality than the ones with a sharp panel ;)

Not true. I have had phones with both panels and both had dust. Sharp is more true colors and the Acer is over saturated. I actually prefer the Acer. Sharp looks dull to me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using xda premium

Randomtxtr

May 12, 2012
Are there any users from India who faced this issue? What did you guys do about it? Were you asked to take it to a service center near your place? The thing is, the service center here is far far off, it's in another city :|. Thanks in advance!

mrsatan

Jul 12, 2009
SLC
I debated getting a sensation as they had them on sale on Negri, but this dust problem kept me from doing it. I know you can seal the screen with silicone, but I always thought it was stupid that you had to do such a thing for an expensive phone. I ended up not buying it. Still wondering if I should have gone for it or not.

manishimo

Oct 4, 2011
maybe

I debated getting a sensation as they had them on sale on Negri, but this dust problem kept me from doing it. I know you can seal the screen with silicone, but I always thought it was stupid that you had to do such a thing for an expensive phone. I ended up not buying it. Still wondering if I should have gone for it or not.

in us and this hasn't happened to me. It may or may not so it depends on your luck.

blast1987

Mar 5, 2012
Hello, i want to tell you my story.

After 4 months, my Sensation started to have the "dust problem under the screen" and the sound speaker distorced at higher levels problem.
So i decided to send it to HTC, my warranty was still ON.
Today after 10 days i received it back, and it has THE SAME PROBLEMS as before.
They did absolutely nothing and i'm so disappointed about HTC.
My speaker is still distorced at higher volumes, the screen still has dust inside the screen, nothing changed.
I'm really angry, i've read in this forum that most people who sent their sensation back got the screen repaired and the dust problem gone, but that's not my case.
I'm going to call them again today, i hope i can solve something.

EDIT: the only thing they did was a Software Update. But i already had the latest Update !! WTF.

TP-Power

Jan 4, 2009
Sent my phone in like 3 months ago for repair because it had dust underneeth the screen. Now guess what: the problem is back! Noticing the first spots of dust on the top.

realsis

Sep 30, 2011
california
I have a small spot of something right in the middle of the screen. You can't always see it but in the right light its definitely there! Very small.I'm not sure exactly what it is?
It looks like a tiny pixal. It's been there since I got the device. Thank God its not getting bigger! It's like a tiny rainbow of colors, very difficult to see but if you look hard you can see it
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the perfect fix for dust under my screen. I am going to get a Nexus 4 and never buy an HTC product again. Problem solved.
    Using mine since 27/05. It spends half of the time in the pocket, the back cover was taken off a few times as well. There's dust all around the screen where it meets the cover but none underneath the actual touchscreen.
    Quite bad idea for a back cover IMHO but no dust issues so far. Standard issue Vodafone IRL Sensation
    As per title really...has anyone else experienced dust getting underneath the touchscreen?

on one of the rare days of sunshine last week I noticed a small amount of dust under the screen. It's going back to vodafone for "repair"

Not a good sign on a two week old device!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
    And there's another thread about this same issue.

This is very depressing.

I've really hit a point where I'm wondering if this is the right device for me :( .

This is how it goes in the beginning, unfortunately. Remember, this is a small percentage of actual Sensation phones we're hearing about here. Then again, I'm coming from the G2X...talk about issues.

I bought the Nexus One at launch, and had many issues. However, it turned out being the best phone I ever owned.
    Seriously dude? No pockets? Where else would a guy keep his phone? Beltclip? No thanks. A phone should never get dust under the screen period. You just got lucky.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

i think ill just tape it to my balls then...