[Q] security warning with OTA update

Search This thread

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014
Hi all, this is my first post here but I have been reading and searching here for a while.
After weeks of searching and trying different things nows its time to ask for help.

I have recently jumped from iPhones to HTC One M8. Every iPhone I had a Jailbroken and thought I would root my HTC so Ima bit new to all this.

Here's what I've done.

I have a Telstra branded HTC One M8.
After a week I decided to root it, after a lot of reading I Unlocked the Bootloader and installed TWRP, Did a backup straight away with TWRP and then I tried to S-off but firewater said it couldn't be done after 1 chug so I left it s-on.
That night I got the new OTA update so now I have to undo all I have done. I thought I would try the HTC one toolkit by Hasoon and followed the step by step instructions from TheUnlocker site ( can't post links yet)
I used Nandroid: CID TELST001 - 1.12.841.17 and Recovery 1.12.771.17.

All went smoothly and I was back to a stock phone, well AFAIK. I then downloaded and tried to install thew OTA update. Then phone reboots into the bootloader saying security warning under the tampered flag. I have tried unlocking the bootloader again and re-flashing the phone, I have even tried to s-on just in case when I tried to S-off it left something undone.

I'm now at my wits end so I'm asking for help.

Here's what I get when I try to return to S-on
(bootloader) [JAVACARD_ERR] SD/USBDISK Init error
(bootloader) writesecureflag: Permission denied, value 1
OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.003s

D:\Android\toolkit\One_M8_All-In-One_Kit_v\data>

Also I got some error msgs when doing the bootloader (i think).
This is a copy from someone else but its the same error msg

(bootloader) [PGFS] partition_update_pgfs: pg1fs_security
(bootloader) Lock successfully...
(bootloader) deinit_lcd
(bootloader) mipi display off
(bootloader) mdp_clock_off
(bootloader) disable_mmss_clk done
(bootloader) pll1_disable done
(bootloader) TZ_HTC_SVC_DISABLE ret = -131073 (0xFFFDFFFF)
(bootloader) [CRITICAL] SPMI write command failure: cmd_id =
0, error
(bootloader) = 4
(bootloader) [CRITICAL] SPMI write command failure: cmd_id =
0, error
(bootloader) = 4
(bootloader) [INFO] Rebooting device
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.170s

I hope someone can help out, I,m sick of the update screen popping up.

Thanks in advance.

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Hi all, this is my first post here but I have been reading and searching here for a while.
After weeks of searching and trying different things nows its time to ask for help.

I have recently jumped from iPhones to HTC One M8. Every iPhone I had a Jailbroken and thought I would root my HTC so Ima bit new to all this.

Thanks in advance.

If you failed to get s-off then you are s-on. There is no middle state.
Run "fastboot getvar all" and post the output here please. Remember to hide your sensitive info like imei and serial.

Reactions: Johnsy75

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014
Run "fastboot getvar all" and post the output here please. Remember to hide your sensitive info like imei and serial.

Here's what I've got

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15_2G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: ***********************
(bootloader) imei: ***************
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELST001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.007s

Thanks

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Here's what I've got

Thanks

OK good...first of all i'm not sure if you have relocked your bootloader, so if you did please unlock it again.
On stock backups thread i could find a TWRP stock nandroid for your cid but couldn't find a stock recovery so that's a bummer :)

I have found this:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51906969&postcount=324
It's both stock rom and stock recovery but you will need to flash CWM instead of TWRP.

So to summarize
1. Unlock bootloader (if it's locked)
2. Flash CWM
3. Flash nandroid backup from the link above
4. Flash stock recovery from the link above
5. You will now be able to receive the OTA and upgrade firmware.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

by the way what message did you get from firewater? was it the whelp unfortunately??? i don't know how fast is Telstra releasing OTA's but you might consider s-off to be able to debrand and flash an even newer firmware and rom ie. 2.22.xxx.x
If firewater doesn't work you also have the option of sunshine but you will have to pay $25 for this

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014

OK good...first of all i'm not sure if you have relocked your bootloader, so if you did please unlock it again.
On stock backups thread i could find a TWRP stock nandroid for your cid but couldn't find a stock recovery so that's a bummer :)

I have found this:
It's both stock rom and stock recovery but you will need to flash CWM instead of TWRP.

So to summarize
2. Flash CWM

The bootloader is locked, when I look in the bootloader menu I have the "Tampered" & "Relocked" Flags.
As for the recovery, in the tutorial in TheUnlocker he was saying along the lines that if I/you couldn't find a matching recovery for the backup just match the first two numbers of the CID to a recovery, which did work but it must not be "stock" enough for the OTA update.
Thanks for finding that info for me, I will give it a crack a bit later on and I'll post back with the out come.:good:

Reactions: stathis95194

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014
[/COLOR]by the way what message did you get from firewater? was it the whelp unfortunately??? i don't know how fast is Telstra releasing OTA's but you might consider s-off to be able to debrand and flash an even newer firmware and rom ie. 2.22.xxx.x
If firewater doesn't work you also have the option of sunshine but you will have to pay $25 for this[/QUOTE]

When I tried firewater I got welp on the first bottle. I tried around 8 times then gave up. I read somewhere that if I flash a different rom it might make it easier to S-OFF. But as I said before I'm still a noob to "Rooting" so there's a high chance I could be wrong :D

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro
[/COLOR]by the way what message did you get from firewater? was it the whelp unfortunately??? i don't know how fast is Telstra releasing OTA's but you might consider s-off to be able to debrand and flash an even newer firmware and rom ie. 2.22.xxx.x
If firewater doesn't work you also have the option of sunshine but you will have to pay $25 for this

When I tried firewater I got welp on the first bottle. I tried around 8 times then gave up. I read somewhere that if I flash a different rom it might make it easier to S-OFF. But as I said before I'm still a noob to "Rooting" so there's a high chance I could be wrong :D[/QUOTE]

If you got the Whelp no matter how many times you try you cannot get s-off then you are out of luck.
If not, then keep trying because you might still have chances. Seeing that you are on an old base you might still have a chance for s-off without having to pay the $25 for sunshine

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014
After all this time I finally got time to sit down and try the stock ROM and recovery you found. It worked and my HTC is updating as we speak.
It just done a software update and I checked the Android version and its still 4.4.2, software 1.54.841.8. It's D/L another update as I type this.
I'll let you know the outcome.
Once again thanks for your help.:good:

Johnsy75

Aug 31, 2014
After all this time I finally got time to sit down and try the stock ROM and recovery you found. It worked and my HTC is updating as we speak.
It just done a software update and I checked the Android version and its still 4.4.2, software 1.54.841.8. It's D/L another update as I type this.
I'll let you know the outcome.
Once again thanks for your help.:good:

It's all good.

Version 4.4.3
Software 2.23.841.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I've got

Thanks

I have found this:

So to summarize
    2. Flash CWM

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

by the way what message did you get from firewater? was it the whelp unfortunately??? i don't know how fast is Telstra releasing OTA's but you might consider s-off to be able to debrand and flash an even newer firmware and rom ie. 2.22.xxx.x

I have found this:

So to summarize
    2. Flash CWM

The bootloader is locked, when I look in the bootloader menu I have the "Tampered" & "Relocked" Flags.
    As for the recovery, in the tutorial in TheUnlocker he was saying along the lines that if I/you couldn't find a matching recovery for the backup just match the first two numbers of the CID to a recovery, which did work but it must not be "stock" enough for the OTA update.
    Thanks for finding that info for me, I will give it a crack a bit later on and I'll post back with the out come.:good:

When I tried firewater I got welp on the first bottle. I tried around 8 times then gave up. I read somewhere that if I flash a different rom it might make it easier to S-OFF. But as I said before I'm still a noob to "Rooting" so there's a high chance I could be wrong :D[/QUOTE]

If you got the Whelp no matter how many times you try you cannot get s-off then you are out of luck.
    If not, then keep trying because you might still have chances. Seeing that you are on an old base you might still have a chance for s-off without having to pay the $25 for sunshine