[APP] Screen Off

Search This thread

virgilp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Romania
This is my first WM app that I've developed about a year ago and I thought I post it here maybe someone else will find it useful.

This application simply turns off the screen on the device, without putting it to sleep. I use it to save battery when i connect my phone to the PC to sync or to copy large amount of data.

It was tested on HTC Touch HD with WM 6.1 and 6.5.3.
It DOES NOT require .NET Compact Framework. Just install the cab and launch the shortcut from Programs.

Remark: Some programs, usually media players, use a backlight keep-alive feature. Be sure to turn off this feature in order for the Screen Off application to work.
* iGO8 users, check out this post by Tom Lenferink. It worked for me. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4382598&postcount=7
* For TOM TOM, check out this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=412321

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• ScreenOff_v1.0.cab
    71.9 KB · Views: 5,061
Last edited:
Reactions: deadcore

Titus_Andronicus

May 26, 2009
Calgary
Sweet. Just what I need. I need the GPS to keep running while turning the screen off to save battery power. Until now I have been using SVM Power Manager.

EDIT: Is this new app automatic like the power manager, or is it user initiated?

Last edited:

taniwha913

Aug 30, 2008
Paris
mpf, i think i must not do something right because it doesn't work for me.

WiFi is on, s2u2 is off, no screenlock on, in the settings i unchecked "shut down if no use during ...

in the first 30-40 seconds, no problem, it all works fine, and after a minute or so, hop, wifi is off.

(sorry for my bad english, i'm a frog eater)

doktor_dokski

Jul 3, 2009
Nice one! I've needed something like this for riding my motorbike with TomTom in my ear and phone in the pocket.

Is there a way to disable the touch screen as well? I also have the problem that the screen gets randomly pressed kicking me into TomTom menus and/or out of the app entirely. It would make this the best app ever...

virgilp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Romania
@taniwha913: I did the following tests:

1. I turned on the wifi and i launched the application. When I turned the screen back on, the wifi seemed to be reconnecting indeed.

2. With wifi on and data connection off, I started to listen to an online radio and I run the application. I listened to the radio for about 10 minutes with the screen off without wifi going off.

My conclusion is that the wifi goes off (or it seems to go off) if it is not used and the screen is off, even if it is configured not to do so. But if you use the wifi, you should't have any problems.

@doktor_dokski: When the touch screen is off it will not respond to any command, so if you press it accidentally nothing will happen.

@tarekkkkk: It's a good idea but I think there is no point in renaming it now. But you can rename the shortcut in your phone if you like :)

taniwha913

Aug 30, 2008
Paris
thank you for this quick answer.

indeed, wifi was on but not connected.

i will test more as soon as i can connect to a wifi spot !

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Thank you! great and very useful app!

*felicitari, ai avut o idee foarte buna cu aceasta mica aplicatie. Chiar ma saturasem sa pierd conexiunea wifi cand se inchidea ecranul, ori sa vad ecranul aprins minute intregi cand eram conectat la pc.

Mcwest

Mar 9, 2010
Sundsvall
I really will try this App, I hope it solve the SOD-problem Rhodium users have - then you will be the god of all app-creators here! I come back to write the results later! But untill then, keep up the good work!

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
Isn't it funny that I wasn't looking for this kind of app, not even thought about it?

But, hey, I am in; and will try it on my tp2.

Thumbs up!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my first WM app that I've developed about a year ago and I thought I post it here maybe someone else will find it useful.

This application simply turns off the screen on the device, without putting it to sleep. I use it to save battery when i connect my phone to the PC to sync or to copy large amount of data.

It was tested on HTC Touch HD with WM 6.1 and 6.5.3.
    It DOES NOT require .NET Compact Framework. Just install the cab and launch the shortcut from Programs.

Remark: Some programs, usually media players, use a backlight keep-alive feature. Be sure to turn off this feature in order for the Screen Off application to work.
    * iGO8 users, check out this post by Tom Lenferink. It worked for me. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4382598&postcount=7
    * For TOM TOM, check out this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=412321

Enjoy! :)