Nexus 5 GPS issues?

Search This thread

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
Is anyone else else having issues with their GPS? I'm running stocked rooted and it takes my phone forever to get a lock from the birds. It doesn't matter if I'm inside or outside it takes 30-60 seconds for a lock which I think is ridiculous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Do you have WiFi and aGPS location reporting off? It could slow down position locking.

Sometimes my Nexus 4 GPS antenna hangs though, a restart and locking on via Maps helps for some reason, I use the app GPS Stats to see how many satellites the phone's seeing, but I guess you've done that. Maybe try out a tracking SW like Locus or something and see if the phone remains locked when moving for a longer period of time like going home from work, if GPS signal constantly goes away I'd recommend contacting Google on the issue. They'll either confirm to look into it or offer a replacement.

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
These are that stats I'm getting with GPS status seems very off to me... I'm probably going to contact sprint about this later today or tomorrow
eza3a2eh.jpg

swoon_

Feb 6, 2011
I'm having a problem with GPS on mine as well. I play Ingress which is a location-based game made by Niantic (owned by Google). I have a lot of experience playing this game back to January on my Nexus 4 and have also played on my Nexus 7. The Nexus 5 is slow to lock and has much greater error than the Nexus 4 as reported by GPS Status when I am holding phones side-by-side. It seems to really perform worse under non-ideal conditions (inside a car, near tall buildings, bad weather). It seems to lose lock or otherwise have greater error under those conditions especially. I have heard of people who have no apparent issues though so it could be my device is just defective.

Uncle Irish

Nov 23, 2009
I'm having a problem with GPS on mine as well. I play Ingress which is a location-based game made by Niantic (owned by Google). I have a lot of experience playing this game back to January on my Nexus 4 and have also played on my Nexus 7. The Nexus 5 is slow to lock and has much greater error than the Nexus 4 as reported by GPS Status when I am holding phones side-by-side. It seems to really perform worse under non-ideal conditions (inside a car, near tall buildings, bad weather). It seems to lose lock or otherwise have greater error under those conditions especially. I have heard of people who have no apparent issues though so it could be my device is just defective.

+1 under the exact same conditions. Really pissed me off blowing through L8's and "all resonators missed" pops up when I'm on top of the goddamn thing.

I came from the Note2 and noticed that the GPS kind of acts like a kid who didn't get the tootsie roll so just acts like a lil punk and doesn't listen or do what they're told. Nothing as horrible as the old Captivate fiasco, but nowhere near other devices I've owned. I'm guessing an update or two can fix it (along with the camera and signal drop issues)

+side note+
faction and location?
Feelin' smurfy in central Florida

supermamie

Nov 22, 2010
Toulouse
I also have problems with the GPS.
The satellites are really long to fix (approx 5min, even with aGPS), and the signal drop quickly.

Only way to play Ingress : wifi positioning.
It is impossible for me to use Navigation in car :(

iggyikky

Nov 17, 2010
same here

Is anyone else else having issues with their GPS? I'm running stocked rooted and it takes my phone forever to get a lock from the birds. It doesn't matter if I'm inside or outside it takes 30-60 seconds for a lock which I think is ridiculous.

Same problem here on pure stock, no root. In car navigation is useless. Gps status toolbox is able to make it fix for a little while but signal is lost again after a (few) minute(s). Only thing I might have done out of the ordinary is switch from dalvik to ART. Gonna revert that just to see. Will report.

Reverting tot dalvik doesn't Fix it. so as a test, unlocked bootloader and reflahed stock firmware from google page so it was pristine again. No joy, no GPS lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawdealer

vs0587

Dec 14, 2008
This with stock without mod.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-13-13-15-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-13-13-15-12.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 2,766

swoon_

Feb 6, 2011
There are some various threads also on the issue. I have found that the GPS appears to improve when I applied some pressure to the area below where the camera is on the back. The GPS antena is here and there is some hypothesis that the antenna may not be secured properly resulting in the poor performance. I was able to have better results playing Ingress after doing this. Per GPS Status, performance still not as good as my N4 so will probably RMA soon. It would be interesting if some having the issue tries applying the pressure to see if there is any improvement.

eustilou

Nov 19, 2011
Mine doesn't see catch any signals on ART.

on dalvik it works but very slow compared to a S4

A S4 locks on 11sats in 10 secs indoors.

My N5 sees 2 in the first minute then just sits there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

eustilou

Nov 19, 2011
Mine doesn't see catch any signals on ART.
on dalvik it works but very slow compared to a S4
A S4 locks on 11sats in 10 secs indoors.
My N5 sees 2 in the first minute then just sits there.

More info... I have a US model and I am currently in Europe.
I compared mine side by side with a european model (D821) and it locked on much faster... 10-15 seconds.

I compared the gps.conf files and they are identical.

asawoszc

Apr 13, 2012
Toronto
Someone started a thread one Google's forum. I suggest everyone add their post to that list so Google can see it and address the issue.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/EkllXr0ZlZM

I'll test applying pressure to the back of the phone later but that's obviously not a long term solution.

EDIT: Applying pressure didn't seem to help.

I was on ART and couldn't get a lock. Switched back to Dalvik and it locked right away the first time. Turned off all GPS/Wifi/etc and waited 5 minutes. Second time could not get a lock whatsoever so I did the usual wipe cache/etc and uninstalled the GPS test app and re-installed and still nothing.

Calling Google.

EDIT#2: RMA on the way. Google support could not confirm whether other users were reporting problems. Rather than wait for a software fix I'm taking my chances with a new device.

Last edited:

trsix

Jun 23, 2011
las vegas
no issues for me

Locks instantly using T-Mobile in lost Vegas. Had sprint with last 2 htc's. Was always hit and miss. Sucked

panunggal

Nov 13, 2013
Try 2G Network mode on Mobile Network Settings

Actually, this problem persists since Nexus 4 with Jelly Bean jwr66y update. GPS Status app show me that my GPS got really weak signals when I'm in 3G networks, but it got really strong signals and work very well when I choose 2G network mode in 'Mobile Network Settings'. I wonder is it the some problem with you guys? If it is, then it's absolutely Android bug, not hardware issue.

asawoszc

Apr 13, 2012
Toronto
Actually, this problem persists since Nexus 4 with Jelly Bean jwr66y update. GPS Status app show me that my GPS got really weak signals when I'm in 3G networks, but it got really strong signals and work very well when I choose 2G network mode in 'Mobile Network Settings'. I wonder is it the some problem with you guys? If it is, then it's absolutely Android bug, not hardware issue.

Not sure I agree. My nexus 4 is rock solid with GPS on any network mode (LTE/H+/2G) and always has been. Even in areas where my signal isn't strong the GPS wouldn't ever falter.

I've posted my personal findings at http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/EkllXr0ZlZM now that I have my RMA device in hand also and can do side-by-side comparisons.

Last edited:

panunggal

Nov 13, 2013
screenshots from GPS Status on nexus 4

That's kinda strange. What version of Android do you installed in your N4? Here 2 screenshots of GPS Status on my N4. First, I use 3G network (as you can see on the signal bar at the top of the screen) and waited about 3 minutes outdoor under clear sky. Weak signals. Then, still standing on the same spot, I switch to 2G Network and look at those bars, and the time it needs to get fix, work perfectly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-21-19-20-31.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-21-19-20-31.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Screenshot_2013-11-21-19-20-00.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-21-19-20-00.png
    250 KB · Views: 1,047

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Video is uploading to YouTube as we speak. I'll post link when done

Excuse me clearing my throat, i was up till 6 am then was up at 10am.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    ok just tried something else for the people that dont have copper tape. all you need is construction paper or any kind of cardstock. cut it the with of the gps antenna points, fold it and tuck underneath the gps antenna. ( be careful lifting the gps antenna contacts as they do have sticky tape) Get some electrical tape to hold it down. DONE. easy 2 minute mod. works just as well as copper tape but this way you get both contact points. the screen shot was taken right after putting the back cover on.
    Nexus 5 Repair

Thanks to Syer1, here is the video showing how the repair should look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-uCIb-t8I
    Video coming up... Please hold.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app