Strange behavior with text and lock screen?

Search This thread

JohnnySSH

Oct 7, 2013
Hi,

Ive just bought a brand new Nexus 10 and its doing really wierd things.

After updating to Android 4.4.4 i kept getting kicked off and the device would go to the lock screen. Additionally the screen would do strange things when running Chrome like going totally black with a white ring in the center of the screen.

Also text doesnt seem to display properly at times; i have now downgraded back to version 4.2 which seems to have got some stability back howver text is still broken on occassion.... See attached.

Its really odd as i have a Nexus 7 mkII which ultra stable.

Could this be hw related or simply is the rom simply this buggy?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1405015308873.jpg
    1405015308873.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 42

JohnnySSH

Oct 7, 2013
Ok so I updated to 4.3 and the machine seems to be stable minus the occasional logout when opening Chrome.... However text still has problems displaying; also as with Android 4.2 it seems the wifi kept disconnecting every few minutes. Since the AP being used was the spare wifi card in my Linux HTPC it migt have something to do with the Intel Centrino card at the other end. I have a spare 3com AP which I will try and if not I also have a spare Cisco wireless router which I can also hookup.....

Other then that I dont know???

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ok so I updated to 4.3 and the machine seems to be stable minus the occasional logout when opening Chrome.... However text still has problems displaying; also as with Android 4.2 it seems the wifi kept disconnecting every few minutes. Since the AP being used was the spare wifi card in my Linux HTPC it migt have something to do with the Intel Centrino card at the other end. I have a spare 3com AP which I will try and if not I also have a spare Cisco wireless router which I can also hookup.....

Other then that I dont know???

Have you tried a complete wipe (flashing the factory image and doing a data wipe/factory reset afterwards)? Not sure if that's what you did when you downgraded. I would think a 100% fresh start would help.

JohnnySSH

Oct 7, 2013
Yep I did... Sorry if wasnt clear. I even reformatted the partitions.....

I think what bothers me the most is the incomplete text...... When downgrading I got the stock rom from Google directly.

Also something funky is the screen seems to slightly flicker when running the Plex app. This could just be an app thing though as everything else is fine.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Yep I did... Sorry if wasnt clear. I even reformatted the partitions.....

I think what bothers me the most is the incomplete text...... When downgrading I got the stock rom from Google directly.

Also something funky is the screen seems to slightly flicker when running the Plex app. This could just be an app thing though as everything else is fine.

Boy. This is a real head scratcher. I've never heard of this before. It would be one thing if the screen was static, which would usually indicate a loose ribbon connection. Since you've already successfully flashed the factory image, I don't think it would be software related. But I can't think of any hardware issue that would cause this either.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

JohnnySSH

Oct 7, 2013
Ok good news.... Using my spare Cisco wireless router I got stability on the wifi :)

I'm just thinking that maybe the issue could be something to do with the graphics chip??

Of course if I dont need to i really dont want to but if it isnt a software bug and the issue is hw related perhaps I should just contact the place where I bought it and get it replaced??? :(

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Ok good news.... Using my spare Cisco wireless router I got stability on the wifi :)

I'm just thinking that maybe the issue could be something to do with the graphics chip??

Of course if I dont need to i really dont want to but if it isnt a software bug and the issue is hw related perhaps I should just contact the place where I bought it and get it replaced??? :(

Hi,

It is really bugging me, quite a weird issue. I believe it can be surely a defective unit, after all you flashed a stock ROM wiping completely and problems still persists.

I recommend you contacting the place you bought it. Hope you can get a replacement ;).

~Lord

"Dream On! Dream Until Your Dreams Come True!" - Dream On (Aerosmith)

Sent from my GT-I9505

JohnnySSH

Oct 7, 2013
Yeah I guess replacement is only way forward at this time :(