Microphone issues?

Search This thread

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
Hey there, my moto x stopped recognizing my voice for touchless control and no one can hear me during calls.
When I try to use the touchless controls I see that it recognizes some noise but very quiet. If I yell at it it sometimes works.
What's weird is that phone calls no one can hear but but in skype calls they can. I know that moto x has 3 mics so maybe 1 is broken?
When I record a video with the camera and play it back the audio works fine too.
It's currently running 4.4.2 stock rogers bootloader unlocked
Anyone having similar issues or know a fix?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hey there, my moto x stopped recognizing my voice for touchless control and no one can hear me during calls.
When I try to use the touchless controls I see that it recognizes some noise but very quiet. If I yell at it it sometimes works.
What's weird is that phone calls no one can hear but but in skype calls they can. I know that moto x has 3 mics so maybe 1 is broken?
When I record a video with the camera and play it back the audio works fine too.

My first guess is corruption.

Try flashing the entire stock 4.4.2 rogers SBF. You can re-root afterwards since you are unlocked. See if it fixes your issue...

Remember: Flashing the full SBF can actually repair a corrupted or damaged filesystem. Give a shot.

Reactions: tospace2006

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo

Try flashing the entire stock 4.4.2 rogers SBF. You can re-root afterwards since you are unlocked. See if it fixes your issue...

Remember: Flashing the full SBF can actually repair a corrupted or damaged filesystem. Give a shot.

I bought the phone second hand so not so familiar on how to do this. I did some reading. Did you mean flash using the RSD lite program?
I can't get my computer to recognize the device in bootloader mode for the program right now.

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
Also does original android roms like CM11 support the features on the moto x like touchless controls, double shake for camera and such?
I want to try flashing one of those on too

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I bought the phone second hand so not so familiar on how to do this. I did some reading. Did you mean flash using the RSD lite program?
I can't get my computer to recognize the device in bootloader mode for the program right now.

Yes, you can use RSD Lite. You need to download and install the Moto drivers for it to be recognized in bootloader mode: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94931/p/30,6720,8696

Also does original android roms like CM11 support the features on the moto x like touchless controls, double shake for camera and such?

No. Flashing CM11 will cause you to lose all these features. Active display is lost as well.

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
I recommend Stock. Research "Xposed" and "GravityBox" if you want to custom mod it.

Lets get you fixed and confirm the microphone issue is solved before you start thinking about customization....

Alright this is my case.

Windows 8, adb drivers installed, motorola device manager installed for drivers.
RSD version 6.1.6, phone in bootloader mode but RSD won't recognize the phone still.
I saw that there was a manual flash method? But I can't seem to find moto fastboot file anymore anywhere.

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
This is the bootloader screen if it helps
g3tt3Ty.jpg

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

That is the correct screen for using RSD Lite OR fastboot.

Sent you a PM with a link to adb/fastboot/mfastboot

Follow the instructions in the return to 100% stock thread in general sub-forum.

Type "fastboot devices" before you start to make sure your PC detects your device. Also use a USB 2.0 port, NOT a usb 3.0 port.

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo

Follow the instructions in the return to 100% stock thread in general sub-forum.

Type "fastboot devices" before you start to make sure your PC detects your device. Also use a USB 2.0 port, NOT a usb 3.0 port.

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot oem config carrier vzw
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

This is what I'm about to use to flash the original firmware.

For this line: fastboot oem config carrier vzw

what do I replace the vzw for rogers?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo

You have it right. Just SKIP the config carrier command.

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
It is not necessary. If you skip the command, the phone will retain it's config carrier. I don't know the proper command for rogers, but I assure you it will work fine without it. It will simply remember the config carrier that is already set.

Everything is done but still doesn't seem to pick up sound very well for voice commands... I have this device in my hand and unless I yell at it while holding it like 5 cm from my mouth it recognized every once every 3 times and while testing everytime I say ok google my G3 from across the room opens of google search. This is the one feature I was really looking forward to :( is there a way to replace this mic >.< do we know which mic is used for google commands and phone calls?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Everything is done but still doesn't seem to pick up sound very well for voice commands... I have this device in my hand and unless I yell at it while holding it like 5 cm from my mouth it recognized every once every 3 times and while testing everytime I say ok google my G3 from across the room opens of google search. This is the one feature I was really looking forward to :( is there a way to replace this mic >.< do we know which mic is used for google commands and phone calls?

Have you trained touchless controls? Settings > Touchless Control

When you make phone calls, can the person you call hear you?

If not, I suspect a hardware failure. I don't know the procedure of replacing the mic, or if it is possible.

I wonder if someone intentionally sold you a defective device?

tospace2006

Dec 22, 2011
Waterloo
Have you trained touchless controls? Settings > Touchless Control

When you make phone calls, can the person you call hear you?

If not, I suspect a hardware failure. I don't know the procedure of replacing the mic, or if it is possible.

I wonder if someone intentionally sold you a defective device?

Sigh that would suck... nah I can't hear if i call my G3 nothing can be heard in a call but skype calls work it's weird...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes, you can use RSD Lite. You need to download and install the Moto drivers for it to be recognized in bootloader mode: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94931/p/30,6720,8696

No. Flashing CM11 will cause you to lose all these features. Active display is lost as well.
    What rom would you recommend for rogers phone if I want to keep root and keep all features?
    Or is stock pretty good...

I recommend Stock. Research "Xposed" and "GravityBox" if you want to custom mod it.

Lets get you fixed and confirm the microphone issue is solved before you start thinking about customization....

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo

You have it right. Just SKIP the config carrier command.