[Q] Personal tips for a (soon to be) Note II user?

Search This thread

mrmcpowned

Apr 29, 2011
Well, I'm no stranger to large phones. I currently have my trusty Dell Streak Mini with me running along with DSC but my contract's coming to an end and I have made the choice on getting the Note II in about a week or two. Seemed right considering I couldn't let go of my 5 inch screen and Best Buy was giving away $50 gift cards left and right allowing to pay $50 less for for the phone. I've been reading up a lot on the phone and have just been wondering what exactly are some of your own personal tips you find handy with the device? I'm a bit of a power user so I like learning neat ways of doing stuff :)

jamesc760

May 12, 2010
Att stores don't do price match and their prices are usually higher than best buy or anyone else. In other words, buy your phone at best buy or some place other than att stores.

Sent from my GT-N7005 using xda premium

godfirst

Jul 6, 2010
Somewhere Giving God All The Glory!
Att stores don't do price match and their prices are usually higher than best buy or anyone else. In other words, buy your phone at best buy or some place other than att stores.

That's not true, Att is a lot cheaper then best buy if your buying out right. Now on contract it just depends on who has a better deal for a two year agreement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

andrawer

Jun 3, 2011
Well after you purchase the phone this "GALAXY Note II User's Digest" on the play store has some good tips.

ALso there are a number of youtube videos showing tips.

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
Put it in a case. This phone can be pretty fragile.

Use the volume increase mod, or the latest Perseus kernel to gain access to audio tweaks. The headphone jack by default is a bit quieter than other phones (well, it's quiet for me anyway).

mrmcpowned

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for the tips so far, I'll make sure to keep them in thought :)

I'll be getting it from best buy. I get paid at the end of this week so I'll buy it over the weekend. Best Buy was also where I got my Streak and they were handing out $50 gift cards at the beginning of the month which can be used towards the phone making the final cost $150 before taxes.

Put it in a case. This phone can be pretty fragile.

Use the volume increase mod, or the latest Perseus kernel to gain access to audio tweaks. The headphone jack by default is a bit quieter than other phones (well, it's quiet for me anyway).

I was thinking about getting a case too. Everyone I've talked to says otterboxes are pretty great at protecting phones. I've personally never needed one but I'll be looking into the otterbox commuter.

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
Personally, I use a Belkin folio case, but I just ordered a Spigen Hardbook. I enjoy the flip-style cases, but everyone has a preference. I think the flip-style cases add a bit of class to the phone. I would love a full leather folio of some sort, but genuine leather is a bit expensive :/

Oh, and my screen scratched. I recommend the iSmooth screen protectors. You literally forget that they're even on there. I'm not impressed with the 'gorilla glass' on this phone. Seriously, not a single one of my other phones scratched before and this is the first time I've ever used a screen protector. It literally scratched in my pocket (nothing else was in the pocket, must've been a grain of sand or something).

The otterbox is great, but it's BULKY. I can't comment on the commuter, but you definitely don't want to add much more bulk to an already large phone. To each his own though, if you can live with a little more baggage, go for it :p