[Q] Open .sbu bypass Kies

Search This thread

sloggan

Feb 19, 2011
Hello

Some days ago my Galaxy S got stolen, but I made a full backup a week back.

Now my problem is to open the .sbu files, since Kies wont open em, without a android device connected to the computer, it seems.

I have tried to search google and samsungs site for information,with no result.

Does anyone know an alternative way to open the .sbu files so I get the most important backup'ed up data back, such as contacts and images?

Thanks.

sloggan

Feb 19, 2011
No one who has a clue? I really need the informations in the backup file.. its weird u cant open it without a phone connected to the computer :S

kf999

Oct 27, 2010
In my opinion, this is just one more place where samsung is a bit **** (pardon my french). Same happened to me. I backed up my Galaxy S last week, and this weekend it was lost/stolen. Now I'm stuck with some .sbu files that won't open. I want to avoid having to reverse engineer those damn .sbu files, but hope is fading.

I've just called Samsung Support, and the dude on the phone apologetically explained that it's only possible to restore this information to a new Samsung phone, there's no other tool to extract the information from these files. I told him this was pretty useless, and he agreed.

In addition, I fear the backups are pretty incomplete, and I think a lot of stuff won't be restored.

I hope someone reads my samsung review and buys something other than a samsung, to be honest. Just my way of getting back at them for wasting a lot of my time.

armomurha

Dec 18, 2010
I had this problem, because I changed the firmware to CyanogenMod and did not want to change back.

As I could not find any program to do this (only this or similar threads), I wrote small "program" (targetted for my self) to extract contacts (VCard data) from SBU file. It actually does not extract the file just finds VCard start and end tags, and writes VCard items into file (or files). This generated VCard-file can be used to import contacts to phone.

I only needed the contacts, so this "program" is not capable extracting anything else. It should not be hard trick to extract the file as it seems to be somekind of uncompressed archive file with UTF-16 encoding.

To execute the program you need Java JDK as the attached package contains only the source file. Detailled compile and execution instructions inside the file.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Attachments

• SSVCardExtractor.zip
    2 KB · Views: 40,888

dcnqw

Aug 19, 2007
Eureka!

I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\temp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

One can copy the files one seeks from there.

I hope this helps some people!

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.

wetwetwater

Sep 2, 2011
I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\temp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.

Thanks for the brilliant tip! Managed to get my media files out from the .sbu

I backed up using kies, after restoring, the media files were missing. Sigh..

Another disappointed(a little bit) S2 user.

Thanks again!

Reactions: davidpartay

Lennydk87

Nov 26, 2010
Viborg Denmark
Hey I got a .sbu file from a backup from a Samsung Galaxy S, and I would like to extract the files from the .sbu file, and I dont got a phone to restore it on to. :)

dzakic

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney

Awesome! Thanks heaps. A colleague made a full backup (310MB) but the restore only extracts 10KB contacts onto his Galaxy S. We used this trick to save all his photos, and apparently his marriage ;)

MarianG

Jun 11, 2009
Cologne
Hello,
I also encountered an problem with an i9100 while I backuped it when the phone has 2.3.3 version and after I upgrade it to 2.3.5 I can't make restore to it :(
I also take a look into the the temporary folder and I saw all the informations but the phonebook is in bk extension exactly like this: 'phonebook.bk'
How can I restore this contacts?
Thanks!

Nov 23, 2011
Very nice little program!! I finally got my contacts back! If you have any further findings in how to open the .sbu file, please share them with everybody!!

Last edited:

leenukes

Aug 29, 2011
Manchester
I had this problem, because I changed the firmware to CyanogenMod and did not want to change back.

As I could not find any program to do this (only this or similar threads), I wrote small "program" (targetted for my self) to extract contacts (VCard data) from SBU file. It actually does not extract the file just finds VCard start and end tags, and writes VCard items into file (or files). This generated VCard-file can be used to import contacts to phone.

I only needed the contacts, so this "program" is not capable extracting anything else. It should not be hard trick to extract the file as it seems to be somekind of uncompressed archive file with UTF-16 encoding.

To execute the program you need Java JDK as the attached package contains only the source file. Detailled compile and execution instructions inside the file.

Thanks, you only ever posted this but it just helped me.

Fantastic effort.

CovXX

Dec 30, 2011
NJ
dose anyone know how to get sms back? i went to skyicecream sandwhich and it wont put back my texts or anything besides contacts and music

KevIRL

Mar 9, 2011
Help with the java program

Anyone who isnt sure how to use the brilliant little program for extracting Vcards here is a tutorial I found.

mobilecon.info/restore-data-inside-sbu-file-using-kies.html

Last edited:
Reactions: GaLus84

morfinrider

Feb 3, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 6
Unable to use Kies Restore

--------
Apologies for sounding noob, but how can I run "Kies Restore"? My phone has gone for repairs and I need to get contacts out of the .sbu file. I am running Kies version 2.1.1.11124_17 and it does not give any "Restore" option, unless a phone is connected. Can someone help? Should I try an older/specific version of Kies?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Eureka!

Wrote a program to extract SBU

Hey Guys,

I just wrote a program which extracts Contact data or Calendar and Todo data out of a SBU file. So try it and give me a response!

w w w . l o r d - l u n c h e r . d e

And if you are familiar with the SBU fomrat please send me some hints how to find other data in this file to improve the program!

Regards
    Lord_Luncher

Thanks for the brilliant tip! Managed to get my media files out from the .sbu

I backed up using kies, after restoring, the media files were missing. Sigh..

Another disappointed(a little bit) S2 user.

Thanks again!
    So sorry you've had issue with your SBU files with photos. The assistance I've provided in this thread and the app written on the first page only works with vcard files, so contacts as it looks for an XML style start and end tag, and uses this to copy the data out.

Have you tried this?

https://www.lord-luncher.de

I don't know if it works, I just googled "extract data from SBU without kies"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk