Xperia Z2 Tablet - Initial impressions thread

Search This thread

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Sony Canada. Launched it 2 days ago, I've had two replacements because of loose corners.

My current one is Having touch screen issues >.> it better be a software issue, unless they make an official statement about this I doubt anyone who passes the refund date can get a refund.

Sony don't disappoint me

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

CAL7

Jun 1, 2010
Settings -> Storage then scroll to bottom. mount a remote share.
This, "remote share", works great for me, but I need help understanding its value. Folks here, smarter than me, rave about it, so I must be missing something. How does Remote Share work better than an app like ES or FX that access remote shares?

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

hermovv

Dec 29, 2013
This, "remote share", works great for me, but I need help understanding its value. Folks here, smarter than me, rave about it, so I must be missing something. How does Remote Share work better than an app like ES or FX that access remote shares?

This way the share is mounted straight in your tablet's file system.
I compared accessing a file through "remote share" and through "LAN" (both using ES) and "remote share" was a lot faster.

xsacha

Sep 18, 2008

If you use LAN file manager via an app like Es, all you get is access to the files via Es.
If you use 'Remote Shares' in Settings, all your apps can see it as if it were on your tablet. Advantages include loading movies from apps that don't know about LAN, loading console ROMs from emulators, loading music from MP3 players, etc.

You can mount remote shares like this if you have root too but I think you can't do it without root or a Sony device.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
And root even doesn't suffice - there must be the source code of the kernel available and there must someone be so nice to compile either a CIFS-enabled kernel or a CIFS kernel module suited for the device's kernel. This explains why many devices doesn't have this functionality and never will.
So it's really something special that Sony provides this in stock ROM!

CAL7

Jun 1, 2010
I'm using Remote Share now and it's very nice. Is there a way to make the connection "permanent" or persistent, i.e. reconnect automatically when the device is in range or (maybe the same thing...) not disconnect it when not available?

matt_the_cat

May 20, 2014
I really love it...

I'm using my new tablet for four weeks now and I can say I'm impressed. It looks good, is slim, it is light and has an impressing battery life. And it's FAST!

But where there is light, there is also shadow:

• The screen loves fingerprints. It collects as many of them as possible. This is annoying when working with the tablet in bright environment.
  • The screen is terribly reflective. See above.
  • This is not a Sony issue: I do not like that I do not have full access to the microSD card. The access is restricted by Android. The internal memory is almost used up because I have installed three memory hogging games.
  • I would like to know why Sony decided to place the headphone jack where it is placed. When using the tablet in landscape mode the headphone jack is on the underside making it impossible to plug in a headphone when positioning the tablet upright on a table.
  • I also encounter the non-responsive screen issue. I hope this will be fixed with an update.

But below the line I'm enjoying my purchase!

Last edited:

xinfinityoO

May 14, 2011
Wellington
the only thing i hate is the headphone jack..like wtf ..y put it at the bottom.. what if someone ones to put the tablet down and watch movies using headphones.. .. only way is turning it upside down ..but then again u cant make it stand using a case as the flaps are on the other side ..and putting support at the back of the table (like books etc) is a nuisance

Dom3000

Apr 17, 2013
the only thing i hate is the headphone jack..like wtf ..y put it at the bottom.. what if someone ones to put the tablet down and watch movies using headphones.. .. only way is turning it upside down ..but then again u cant make it stand using a case as the flaps are on the other side ..and putting support at the back of the table (like books etc) is a nuisance

5u5apeva.jpg

tallguy_uk_98

Jan 3, 2008
So having had the Z2 tablet for a week, I have to say I'm impressed, with one caveat, having come from a Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 (2012) I really really miss the stylus input, I hope Sony can turn it on in an update if the hardwear is there.

Otherwise, no lag, good 4G speed, awesome screen, reasonable speakers, movies look amazing, as do imported photos, no experience with the built in shooter yet, and unlike a lot of reviews, I don't mind the bezels as they make it easy to hold.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kbroh

Jul 1, 2014
Xperia z2 tablet 16 GB WiFi version. Awesome. Battery life is superb. Visualization is crisp, speakers are average, touch controls are better after the update, magnetic charging is great, no lag (especially on cm11!). Only downside is the price. But well worth it compared to the new Samsung tabs!

Sent from my Nexus 5 Unchained using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

meteor999

Sep 7, 2011
Just got mine today. Loving it so far. screen very responsive. Its one sexy and fast machine

Thought I would expand, firstly I find screen responsiveness to be very good, however it was poor before I installed the latest update . Its funny Sometimes the screen is too responsive - it suffers from double presses. Battery seems good so far, only had it a day so it might take a while for battery stats to function properly. I struggle to type two handed in landscape due to the wide bezzal. While I was in the shop today i tryed out the octa core galaxy tab s! Its a beauty, practically no bezzal, however when you hold it as a result of the thin bezzal your palm or other fingers resting on the side will trigger touches. I couldnt tell any difference in responsiveness between the two. And I wonder about battery life in an octa core, although I here its just two quad cores with one idle unless needed. I love the screen, it is way and above adequete.

Ill see how things go over the next week and update with a conclusion

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And .... Initial impressions

Very light, very thin. Very lovely.

No dead pixels visible in test mode. Yay.

Official case is nice, very thin. Looks like it's dock compatible too, so I'll have to get a dock. It's also a smart cover so no power button wear. Better than the iPad smart cover, IMO. Stand feature seems to work.

It arrived with 74% charge, now down to 59% after 30 minutes of setting up and downloading. I expect it's going to get hammered over the next couple of days.

Currently charging it with a mag connector I use for my Xperia Z1. That works.

So all in all :good: :good: :good:

Touch screen response is a bit odd. I think others have commented. Sometimes it seems not to react but I can't quite put my finger on when and why that happens (ha)

Hoping it's not a hardware fault :/

Still got loads and loads of setup and tweaking to do. Not that such things ever really stop, but Action Launcher is on there now, and Fenix (might change this, Fenix not looking great on a tablet).

Will put some unboxing and pictures up in a minute

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Sony could use some lessons in packaging from Apple. Biffed and dented carton

eqa4avy7.jpg

Tablet and case

ype3ane4.jpg

And setting up

pupuvequ.jpg

Hope everyone gets theirs soon

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    Thanks - how are you finding the speed versus the old tab? Is there a noticeable difference in your real world use (I'm not referring to benchmarks)?

There's an issue with the Xperia Live Wallpaper. With it active, the homescreen micro lags, but then again, it also happens on my Z Ultra so evidently a wallpaper issue.

With a static wallpaper there is a noticeable difference in the operation of the device. Pinch to zoom in Chrome is perfect, I experience micro lags with animations on the Z which aren't apparent on the Z2.

Early indications on the battery life are positive and GTA SA plays flawlessly on full settings with the Z2, but it stutters immensely on the Z.

The design feels even more premium in the hand. Sony has rounded off the edges slightly and given it's weight and thickness, is alot more comfortable to hold for long durations.

Software feels well rounded. There are a few tweaks such as the separate notification tray and quick settings that make it feel more like a tablet (rather than the ugly tray on the Z from 4.2.2+), you can now "Cose All" from the recent apps tray, with multiple small apps open there is an additional option called "Grid" which positions them randomly on the screen, smart back light control and noise cancellation, plus the new lockscreen. Swipe up from the home button there is now "What New" alongside Google Now which is a well designed app which gives you top music, video, apps and games.

The additional of the vibrator for haptic feedback is also pleasing.

Huge improvement with the camera too.
    After 3 days of ownership

Here's my thoughts after 3 days of ownership.

The Best:

Network share mounting built-in. This is one of the top selling point IMHO.
    The feature is solid. Several shares cans be mounted.
    If the network connection is lost the shares are automatically dismounted. As for apps , their behavior then vary (similar to how it'd behave on a desktop), some force close, some hang, some display a message.
    There's a notification when a network share is mounted.
    Upon clicking the notification you can choose to open the shares int either File Commander (built-in app) or QuickOffice. That's a let down, it's doesn't work with any other file manager I tried.
    Another letdown is Android media manager doesn't not index the remote shares , it means apps only relying on it won't show the media files stored on the network by default. You can still launch the files from any file manager.

The Good:

The screen is a total beauty.

Impressively thin and light.

Snapdragon 801 is crazy fast!

3 GB of RAM! :
    I have been using Firefox on my Galaxy S 3, and my biggest gripe with it is how much RAM it uses because as soon I switch to another app, Android kills it, and when I switch back to it it proceeds to re-open my tabs (and is quite slow at it).
    No such things here.

IR basters.

Dualshock controller compatible (pairing is simple, the controller can even wake the tablet).

Notification light with color. It is quite small however, I can't see it from a few meters away.

Speakers are on the FRONT!

The Bad:
    Can't remap Dualshock controller buttons (c'mon Sony that's a job halfway done).
    This is no Galaxy Note, handwriting is a no-go.

The Ugly:
    Touch doesn't always register. This is NOT a hardware problem.
    But somehow with this tablet I often a to tap twice or more to get it to register, seems like you need to be extra precise where you touch.

The screen is a total beauty... in darkness. Even a small ambient light is bother some. I tried it outdoor and it is almost useless.
    The tube lightning at work is also a problem , I mostly see myself. I wonder why manufacturers like glossy screens so much. This thing would be so much better with a mat screen.

Other toughts:
    Stock Rom is quite good except for the bloatware. Some are removable but most are not .Admittedly some of the bloatware are Google Apps that Sony is bound by contract to integrate (Playstand, Play Books etc..).
    I've been flashing alternative ROMs for year, this is the first device that makes me almost content with the stock ROM.
    Besides network shares and dualshock integration, there's also a built-in backup app , it's no Ti Backup equivalent but it is not too bad.
    I'll probably keep it on the devices even if I'll miss a few Omnirom or CM options.

I'm definitively glad I bought it even though the touch issue bothers me a bit , hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix things.
    I'm also glad I choose the white version, fingerprints are almost invisible and cleaning is easy.

I haven't been gaming much with it yet. I'll check if I have any sound delay as others have reported.

That's it for now.
    Just got mine.

Initial impressions:

It's so thin and light , it's almost uncanny.
    Build quality is OK but the use of plastic feels a bit cheap for a device in this price range.
    Way to many useless and unremovable apps for my taste (Facebook and Google+ first come to mind)
    Tap does not always register. I often have to tap twice. This is a deal breaker. Does anyone experience the same thing?
    The covers for the SD and USB ports look weak.
    It also could have used a rotation lock switch .

This is me *****ing otherwise it looks like a great devices except for the part where touch doesn't always register (faulty unit?)

I'll make a system dump (non root) and post it in he development thread this afternoon.

Edit: Grammar
    So here are the screenshots. Summary:
    • 100% to 20% in 13h
    • 10h screen-on-time (which makes about 12,5h until 0%)
    • Stamina mode always enabled including the "limit performance" option (even though I have no idea of what it actualy does)
    • Mostly video watching, but some browsing and playing included