CM11 Volume Buttons Orientation Issue

Search This thread

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
I recently switched my KFHD 8.9 from twa_priv's CM11/SGT7 to Hashcode's official nightlies. Both ROMs are awesome. I have one problem since the switch though...

On the official CM11, when the tablet is in portrait mode (buttons on top), the volume buttons are reversed -- left is up and right is down. Landscape (buttons to right) is correct. Inverted portrait (buttons on bottom) is correct. Inverted landscape (buttons on left) is reversed.

When I select "Reorient volume buttons" in settings, it reverses the button orientation in Landscape and Inverted Portrait but not in Portrait and not in Inverted Landscape -- so the buttons are reversed in every rotation.

When I was on SGT7 the buttons were oriented correctly by default for Portrait and Inverted Landscape and reversed for Landscape and Inverted Portrait. When I selected "Reorient volume buttons" it would reverse the buttons for Lanscape and Inverted Portrait -- so the buttons were correct in every rotation.

I have been able to reproduce this problem by dirty flashing CM11 over SGT7, by doing a Factory/System wipe and new install of CM11, by flashing different CM11 nightlies, so I think this is a CM11 issue.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Incidentally, and I'm not sure if this is related or not, I find the defined rotations odd (this applies to both ROM's).
0 degrees = Portrait
90 degrees = Inverted Landscape
180 degrees = Inverted Portrait
270 degrees = Landscape.

So the default landscape is upside down. This can be confirmed by playing a game that requires you to fully rotate the tablet, like Naught (there are others but I can't recall what they were). I would have expected 0 degrees = Portrait and 90 degrees = Landscape OR (since this is a tablet), 0 degrees = Landscape and 90 degrees = Portrait.

I did find a similar post from Zavien, with no apparent resolution here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50579827&postcount=176

Also what seems to be a related post from twa_priv here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47918184&postcount=19

Also an exchange between Greek2me and Hashcode starting here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48795253&postcount=36

I'm not sure if Hashcode checks this forum. If you are experiencing these same issues and can post to the dev forum, can you ask him to take a look at this thread?

Thanks,

Ken.

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
Anyone? Bueller?

Is everyone else's volume button orientation correct in the CM11 nightlies?

Ken

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Anyone? Bueller?

Is everyone else's volume button orientation correct in the CM11 nightlies?

Ken

I know of he reads and responds to his threads. Try posting this in the CM11 8.9 thread. That way you are more likely to get a response from him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Apr 6, 2013
I'm running the latest CM11 nightly and I don't have that problem, the buttons work exactly like they worked in fire is.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using Tapatalk

Apr 6, 2013
I found it. Settings>Buttons>Reorient

Hope it helped ☺

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

I found it. Settings>Buttons>Reorient

Hope it helped ☺

Gosh sorry I just figured out what you were trying to say ?????

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
So... I'm reviving my old thread.

I've been running the AOSPA from jb2kred and the volume buttons are wrong with this ROM too... is this because this ROM is based on Hashcode's CM ROM?

Anyway, to recap:

Regular portrait (buttons on top): volume buttons are reversed
Regular landscape (buttons on right): volume buttons are correct
Inverted portrait (buttons on bottom): volume buttons are correct
Inverted landscape (buttons on left): volume buttons are reversed

When I check the "Reorient Buttons" option,

Regular portrait: no change, still reversed
Regular landscape: now reversed
Inverted portrait: now reversed
Inverted landscape: no change, still reversed

So the wrong buttons are reoriented.

This isn't a deal killer of any kind. As far as I know this problem exists in all ROMs except SGT7. And if I had to choose, I'd take getting back the tablet combined nav/status bar any day over fixing this. I'm still OCD enough that it bugs me tho.

Ken

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
So... I'm reviving my old thread.

I've been running the AOSPA from jb2kred and the volume buttons are wrong with this ROM too... is this because this ROM is based on Hashcode's CM ROM?

Anyway, to recap:

Regular portrait (buttons on top): volume buttons are reversed
Regular landscape (buttons on right): volume buttons are correct
Inverted portrait (buttons on bottom): volume buttons are correct
Inverted landscape (buttons on left): volume buttons are reversed

When I check the "Reorient Buttons" option,

Regular portrait: no change, still reversed
Regular landscape: now reversed
Inverted portrait: now reversed
Inverted landscape: no change, still reversed

So the wrong buttons are reoriented.

This isn't a deal killer of any kind. As far as I know this problem exists in all ROMs except SGT7. And if I had to choose, I'd take getting back the tablet combined nav/status bar any day over fixing this. I'm still OCD enough that it bugs me tho.

Ken

Nope, Hascodes ROM is working fine. Paranoid Android suggest to do clean install of their recent update because there were a lot of changes. Did you clean install that ROM? I would suggest to let the dev know so they can address it. Clean install first if you have not though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
Nope, Hascodes ROM is working fine. Paranoid Android suggest to do clean install of their recent update because there were a lot of changes. Did you clean install that ROM? I would suggest to let the dev know so they can address it. Clean install first if you have not though.

Thanks LE... I've gotten get this orientation problem on every build up to the May 1st CM11 and this week's PA. Also tried PAC a while back, same problem. I used to dirty flash but for the last couple of months have only done factory+system wipe and clean install.

I have also confirmed that the orientation problem exists for me during initial setup -- when the wizard is asking me to choose an input language I am in portrait (buttons on top) and the volume buttons are reversed so I know it's not due to any software I've installed.

Maybe it's just my device, but the last SGT7 (before yesterday's build, I haven't had the chance to try that one yet) was fine -- correct default orientation and the reorient buttons behaved as expected.

I will post to the CM and PA devs' threads... just as soon as I have my 10 posts haha.

It sounds like others don't have this issue -- do you think it's at a lower level than the OS? Could it be an issue in the recovery or bootloader?