[Q] ramdisk

Search This thread

LiquidXed

Jul 10, 2010
What is the deal with ramdisk? How do i switch between kernels to test out¿ do i have to flash a rom everytime?

Ex: i was runnin stock rom/kernal 4.3 for awhile, then just flashed fancy.. Do i have to reflash stock rom to clean the ramdisk?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LiquidXed

Jul 10, 2010
Thanks man.. Yeh he uses universal ramdisk via anykernel2.. So i gues im alright. What does the ramdisk hold and y isnt there a way to -rm or format via cust recovery?
I tried to google it to find more info on it.. I guess i need to dig deeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks man.. Yeh he uses universal ramdisk via anykernel2.. So i gues im alright. What does the ramdisk hold and y isnt there a way to -rm or format via cust recovery?

the way I've always assumed for ramdisk was specific stock settings, symlink setups, init files and such
sorry I can't explain much further.
maybe to try to get more useful info for your question, try Google "zimage vs boot.img, what does kernels ramdisk do/contains"
you will probably get many Linux.results, but they translate very easily into android since android kernel is Linux based

Reactions: LiquidXed

hp13

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
Google Pixel XL
What is the deal with ramdisk? How do i switch between kernels to test out¿ do i have to flash a rom everytime?

Ex: i was runnin stock rom/kernal 4.3 for awhile, then just flashed fancy.. Do i have to reflash stock rom to clean the ramdisk?

basically certain kernels have its own ramdisk (. i.e franco )so its not recommended to flash different kernel without flashing the rom first.

wipe cache
flash rom
flash gapps
flash supersu if needed
flash kernel

Reactions: LiquidXed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If fancy has its own ramdisk it is reccomended to dirty flash your rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

the way I've always assumed for ramdisk was specific stock settings, symlink setups, init files and such
    sorry I can't explain much further.
    maybe to try to get more useful info for your question, try Google "zimage vs boot.img, what does kernels ramdisk do/contains"
    you will probably get many Linux.results, but they translate very easily into android since android kernel is Linux based

basically certain kernels have its own ramdisk (. i.e franco )so its not recommended to flash different kernel without flashing the rom first.

wipe cache
    flash rom
    flash gapps
    flash supersu if needed
    flash kernel