Motorola Fire XT / XT-530 / XT-531 ROOTING / SBFs / Custom ROMs / CWM

Search This thread

Arijit.Ray81

Jul 23, 2010
Bangalore
Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, your computer or anything else while following these instructions. Proceed at your own risk.

NEW ONE CLICK ROOT

Special Thanks to rootdefyxt320

BAT version
EXE version

SUTLR method

Downloads:
Here are the apps/files needed for Rooting -
1. SuperOneClick 2.3.3.0
2. SUT LR 1.8.2 (Doesn't seem to be working on 64-bit systems)
3. FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml [ATTACHED]

Before Rooting:
Prepare your phone by doing the following:
- Go to Settings > Applications > CHECK "Unknown Sources"
- Go to Settings > Applications > Developer > CHECK "USB Debugging" and "Stay Awake"
- Connect your phone via USB, when prompted DO NOT select USB Mass Storage.
- Extract FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml from the attached zip file in to a folder

- Now, install SUT LR, run the app
- Select the FXX_PR3_NV.xml [ensure NvDefinition.xml is also in the same folder as FXX_PR3_NV.xml]
- Your phone will restart.

It does NOT erase anything on the phone, since it only patches the ROM.

Rooting:
After the phone restarts, open SuperOneClick and select root. It will take less than a minute to finish.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the New Instructions.

For Folks for whom the above instructions DO NOT work; please follow instructions at THIS LINK

UPDATE your Phone to the latest FIRMWARE HERE

* YOU CAN UPDATE UNROOTED PHONES ONLY!

Could someone take the initiative to MOD this phone? Create some custom ROMs and Themes? I believe Motorola is not providing an ICS update for this phone but some skilled developers can surely help us get the ICS feel on it. I would appreciate if someone could take their time out and get to work on this. I would extend any help I can give.

Increasing Internal Phone Memory

Credits to Pianorcar for this.

You need –

Steps –

1. Download and Install Link2SD on your phone
  2. Backup the existing data on the SD Card
  3. Install MiniTool Partition and open it
  4. Delete the existing Partition on the SD Card
  5. Right Click on the “Unallocated” SD Card once again and select “Create”
  6. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as ”Fat32” and specify the “Partition Size
  7. Click OK
  8. Right Click on the remaining “Unallocated” space
  9. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as “Ext2
  10. Click OK
  11. Start Link2SD and select Ext2
  12. Restart your phone
  13. Start Link2Sd again
  14. The SD Card should now be mounted and you can click “Create Link” on the apps you want to send to the SD Card
  15. The App now will be completely moved to the SD Card

1.jpg 2.jpg

Which apps to safe to move to SD? Look HERE
Thanks to Kammii

Increase SD Card Speed up to 200%​

Required -

1. Run SD Tools and test the speed of your SD Card
  2. Open SD Speed Increase and move the slider to 1024
  3. Save the Setting
  4. Now Run SD Tools again and test if the speed has increased
  5. Try different settings with SD Speed Increase and save the best setting to start at boot.
* 2048 worked best for me.

SBFs for Motorola Fire XT 530/531
NOT Custom ROMs

You would need RSD Lite 5.6 to flash the SBFs.

*NOTE: Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM

Latin American SBFs:
Claro
Entel

Chinese 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM

Another ROM - DMP-454A-0-2010-A03_RFM(RETAIL) - Suggested by cmndst. Claims are that the ROM is excellent. I have not tried it personally so I leave it up to you folks to try and comment about it.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the SBFs.

CUSTOM ROM HERE​

Here is how you can flash CWM

Attachments

• FXX_PR3_NV.zip
    65 KB · Views: 9,659
  • RSDLite5.6.rar
    4.4 MB · Views: 7,540
Last edited:

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
Cyanogen 9 has finally been ported to the Galaxy Ace.
Since our Fire XT and the Ace use the same hardware (Chipset, CPU, and Graphics), porting this ROM to our phone will be very easy.

Once Cyanogen 9 is officially released and cyanogen 9 for Ace is updated and stabilized, I might (if I have time) start creating a Custom Recovery for our phone. Hopefully the ROM itself won't need too much work to make it fully functional.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1490867

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Since our Fire XT and the Ace use the same hardware (Chipset, CPU, and Graphics), porting this ROM to our phone will be very easy.

Once Cyanogen 9 is officially released and cyanogen 9 for Ace is updated and stabilized, I might (if I have time) start creating a Custom Recovery for our phone. Hopefully the ROM itself won't need too much work to make it fully functional.

Wow!!! Can't wait !!!!! Even if you port cm7 ill be happy :). I am a n00b, but if I can help you in anyway pls let me know!!!!! :)!!!

Sent from my XT530 using Tapatalk

mayur19011985

Nov 13, 2011
mumbai
update software

Hi jeet
I had rooted motorola fire xt 530 using ur method
it rooted properly
Onward i managed to partioned the memory card
500mb for ext2 for internal memory
now i get 62 mb free in phone internal memory
all what u said its done finally ok because of u
now there is a software update available
i want to install that software update

what to do ?
i have to unroot first then update software
or i can update software without unrooting
is there anyone on these forum who updated software on rooted phone

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hi jeet
I had rooted motorola fire xt 530 using ur method
it rooted properly
Onward i managed to partioned the memory card
500mb for ext2 for internal memory
now i get 62 mb free in phone internal memory
all what u said its done finally ok because of u
now there is a software update available
i want to install that software update

what to do ?
i have to unroot first then update software
or i can update software without unrooting
is there anyone on these forum who updated software on rooted phone

You can update on rooted phone, I have done it but u will lose root, and all ur apps. You'll have to root it again using the same procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: mayur19011985

rbrenelli

Oct 12, 2011

Yes!!! Please do!! This is great news!! Thanks a lot!!!! I wish you all the best and success in this development!

Jundstars

Nov 15, 2011

Thanks a lot man. Looking forward to ICS on my xt530.

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
I just managed to free 22MB of user app space by integrating system app updates into ROM using titanium backup (other methods should also work) :D

I integrated Market, Gmail, Maps, Youtube, and Search.

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
hey guys ....can we play hd games after rooting .....or will we be able to use flash player

For Flash Player look at this thread>>
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1331274

And for most HD games you can go to this website >>
http:// andropalace . blogspot . in (remove spaces)

They are customized for our HVGA screen and also download the Chainfire app from the market and plugins ( Google for them) to improve graphics and performance

Reactions: hafu

himz

Feb 22, 2012
Download link to Super One Click not working

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, your computer or anything else while following these instructions. Proceed at your own risk.

Downloads:
1. SuperOneClick 2.3.3.0
2. SUT LR 1.8.2

Before Rooting:
- Go to Settings > Applications > Developer > CHECK "USB Debugging" and "Stay Awake"
- Extract FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml from the attached zip file in to a folder

- Select the FXX_PR3_NV.xml [ensure NvDefinition.xml is also in the same folder as FXX_PR3_NV.xml]

Rooting:
After the phone restarts, open SuperOneClick and select root. It will take less than a minute to finish.

For Folks for whom the above instructions DO NOT work; please follow instructions at THIS LINK

Could you upload Super One Click again . I cannot download the file

Last edited:

rbrenelli

Oct 12, 2011
Official from Motorola - No Ice Cream Sandwich

I used the facebook way to contact Motorola, asking them if our phone would be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. They sent me an e-mail stating that due to hardware limitations our phone would remain on its current android version so that the performance woul not be compromised.

Now our only hope is Cyanogenmod 9.

Here is the e-mail (in portuguese).

Boa tarde,

Nosso objetivo aqui na Motorola é proporcionar as melhores experiências com aparelhos Android. Infelizmente, devido à limitações de hardware, alguns modelos podem não apresentar uma boa performance com novas atualizações. Sendo assim, depois de vários testes, resolvemos manter o SPICE XT em sua versão atual do Android para que o desempenho seja mantido por completo.

Se precisar de mais alguma informação, podemos conversar aqui mesmo pelo Talk2Motorola ou por algum de nossos canais de atendimento tradicionais, como email, telefone ou Motochat (http://bit.ly/s2q6eS).

A Motorola Brasil agradece o seu contato

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
Hey guys, while playing with this phone today I made a terrible discovery.

The kernel version is 2.6.32 which is the Android 2.2 Froyo kernel.

Gingerbread is supposed to include kernel version 2.6.35

Can someone please confirm my finding so that we can contact Motorola and demand that they provide an updated kernel.

As for those asking about ICS:
The only reason Motorola (and others) won't provide updates is for financial and business reasons. Android is Open Source and can be adapted to run on a wide range hardware. Many phones with even lower specs than ours have ICS running almost perfectly.

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I know it was a long shot even defy+ wont be upgraded its really sad motorola adds alot of bloatware making it impossible for our device to run ICS.

So yes CM9 is our best choice !

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, while playing with this phone today I made a terrible discovery.

The kernel version is 2.6.32 which is the Android 2.2 Froyo kernel.

Gingerbread is supposed to include kernel version 2.6.35

Can someone please confirm my finding so that we can contact Motorola and demand that they provide an updated kernel.

As for those asking about ICS:
The only reason Motorola (and others) won't provide updates is for financial and business reasons. Android is Open Source and can be adapted to run on a wide range hardware. Many phones with even lower specs than ours have ICS running almost perfectly.

Yeah our phone runs on the 2.6.32.9 kernel ... but isn't that the same kernel as the Galaxy Ace stock kernel ?

I highly doubt Motorola will release an updated kernel ... they have almost no support for this pohne its very sad. Is it possible to use the custom Galaxy Ace kernels?

Last edited:

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
Yeah our phone runs on the 2.6.32.9 kernel ... but isn't that the same kernel as the Galaxy Ace stock kernel ?

I highly doubt Motorola will release an updated kernel ... they have almost no support for this pohne its very sad. Is it possible to use the custom Galaxy Ace kernels?

The Galaxy Ace originally came with Android 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32 then Samsung officially released the Android 2.3 update with kernel 2.6.35.

We can't use the galaxy ace kernel because our phone has a locked boot loader that requires the kernel to be signed by Motorola.

Yes, I don't think Motorola will release any more updates for this phone. I'll contact them anyway, and demand an update for this phone.

The reason I wanted the newer gingerbread kernel is to update the graphics drivers which are reported to provide up to 50% performance boost. Graphics on this phone tend to be sluggish sometimes.

The only hope we have now is Cyanogen 9.

Edit: After some reading, I found out that we're not the only ones having this issue. Many other Motorola phones (such as Droid X2) are stuck with Froyo kernel. Thanks a lot moto :(

Last edited:

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
The Galaxy Ace originally came with Android 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32 then Samsung officially released the Android 2.3 update with kernel 2.6.35.

We can't use the galaxy ace kernel because our phone has a locked boot loader that requires the kernel to be signed by Motorola.

Yes, I don't think Motorola will release any more updates for this phone. I'll contact them anyway, and demand an update for this phone.

The reason I wanted the newer gingerbread kernel is to update the graphics drivers which are reported to provide up to 50% performance boost. Graphics on this phone tend to be sluggish sometimes.

The only hope we have now is Cyanogen 9.

Edit: After some reading, I found out that we're not the only ones having this issue. Many other Motorola phones (such as Droid X2) are stuck with Froyo kernel. Thanks a lot moto :(

It is really sad :( ... but the graphics seems fine I've been able to play NOVA 2, HAWX, Battle Heart and SummitX with little or no lag on my phone.

But in general the phone could use a big boost in performance seeing the kind of perfomance the the galaxy ace gets with the same or worse hardware in comparison with us its disappointing...!
Please do tell us if motorola reply to your request?
Thanks.

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
GOOD NEWS, The The Fire XT532 (exact hardware but dual sim) has android 2.3.7 with kernel 2.6.35.11

That means we can use its kernel without any risk of messing up or bricking the phone.

I'll try to find an XT532 owner and ask him/her for the kernel. Or maybe in a few months, when this phone becomes more popular, we'll be able to get ROM dumps and get the kernel ourselves.

Bye for now. Got tons of studying to do (being I'm a med student).
I'll be back in a few days :)

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
GOOD NEWS, The The Fire XT532 (exact hardware but dual sim) has android 2.3.7 with kernel 2.6.35.11

That means we can use its kernel without any risk of messing up or bricking the phone.

I'll try to find an XT532 owner and ask him/her for the kernel. Or maybe in a few months, when this phone becomes more popular, we'll be able to get ROM dumps and get the kernel ourselves.

Bye for now. Got tons of studying to do (being I'm a med student).
I'll be back in a few days :)

Awesome !! Thanks for the info !

Looks promising :) !!

All the best with your studies .. and by the way could you maybe tell me where you learnt how to do this stuff ( like making ROMs and Flashing kernels ? ) I would love to learn this stuff cause i just feel stupid .. lol :p !

Anyways c ya later then..

Roqu3

May 9, 2011
Hi, I own this phone (xt531) since two weeks ago I also want to root and start hacking but I have some questions:

- Is there any way to get a copy of my carrier´s SBF? I just want a backup in case of problems
- In case of no SBF, has anyone tried to use fastboot and flash romdump images to restore? I have many doubts about this because if the bootloader is locked then you cant use a generic fastboot right? You have to use Motorola fastboot like in the Atrix or RAZR

thanks in avance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:

NEW ONE CLICK ROOT

Special Thanks to rootdefyxt320

BAT version
    EXE version

SUTLR method

Downloads:
    1. SuperOneClick 2.3.3.0
    2. SUT LR 1.8.2 (Doesn't seem to be working on 64-bit systems)

Before Rooting:

Rooting:

Could someone take the initiative to MOD this phone? Create some custom ROMs and Themes? I believe Motorola is not providing an ICS update for this phone but some skilled developers can surely help us get the ICS feel on it. I would appreciate if someone could take their time out and get to work on this. I would extend any help I can give.

Increasing Internal Phone Memory

Credits to Pianorcar for this.

You need –

Steps –

1. Download and Install Link2SD on your phone
    2. Backup the existing data on the SD Card
    3. Install MiniTool Partition and open it
    4. Delete the existing Partition on the SD Card
    5. Right Click on the “Unallocated” SD Card once again and select “Create”
    6. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as ”Fat32” and specify the “Partition Size
    7. Click OK
    8. Right Click on the remaining “Unallocated” space
    9. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as “Ext2
    10. Click OK
    11. Start Link2SD and select Ext2
    12. Restart your phone
    13. Start Link2Sd again
    14. The SD Card should now be mounted and you can click “Create Link” on the apps you want to send to the SD Card
    15. The App now will be completely moved to the SD Card

1.jpg 2.jpg

Which apps to safe to move to SD? Look HERE
    Thanks to Kammii

Increase SD Card Speed up to 200%​

Required -

1. Run SD Tools and test the speed of your SD Card
    2. Open SD Speed Increase and move the slider to 1024
    3. Save the Setting
    4. Now Run SD Tools again and test if the speed has increased
    5. Try different settings with SD Speed Increase and save the best setting to start at boot.
    * 2048 worked best for me.

SBFs for Motorola Fire XT 530/531
    NOT Custom ROMs

You would need RSD Lite 5.6 to flash the SBFs.

*NOTE: Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM

Latin American SBFs:
    Claro
    Entel

Chinese 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM

Another ROM - DMP-454A-0-2010-A03_RFM(RETAIL) - Suggested by cmndst. Claims are that the ROM is excellent. I have not tried it personally so I leave it up to you folks to try and comment about it.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the SBFs.

CUSTOM ROM HERE​

Here is how you can flash CWM
    What system apps you convert to sd card? (what is etc.....?) Any problems with your phone?

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Just realised that you may not know what the abbreviation "etc" means. If that's the case, it is an abbreviation for the term et cetera, which means "and other things" or "and so forth".

No problems with my phone so far. I just avoid tampering with system apps that may cause irreversible problems (such as Android System, Settings, and MotoSwitch). Some system apps are no longer functional, but they can easily be made functional again by using Link2SD to "remove link" and convert them back to system apps.

I now have 105MB of free internal storage (with 52MB used).

Also, note that you want to use the "Create link" function in Link2SD not "Move to SD card". "Move to SD card" uses the system's native apps2sd method which is not as effective as that of Link2SD's.

To give you an idea of things, here's a list of what system apps I've converted to user apps and have linked to the SD card and how they've been affected:
    • Browser – No longer functional. Opens but does not load webpages. That's easily reversed via Link2SD and then becomes fully functional again.
    • Email – No longer works. At start-up, I get a message that it has crashed. Easily reversed.
    • FM Radio – Works as normal.
    • FQC program – I believe this is an app used for quality checking at the factory, so I've never used it.
    • Gmail – Works as normal.
    • Google Play Store – Appears to work as normal.
    • Maps – Works as normal.
    • Moto [Chinese characters] (com.motorola.inputmethod.gpinyin) – Never used it, so don't know.
    • Moto Smart Handwriting – Never used it, so don't know.
    • News & Weather – No longer functional. Opens but does not work.
    • People Centric – No longer functional. When trying to add the widget, it places a message as the widget stating "Problem loading widget".
    • Qik Video – Never used it, but it fails to open. So it's no longer functional.
    • RSS Reader – No longer functional.
    • Street View – Never used it.
    • Swype – Can still be used. Just need to go into Language & Keyboard settings and tick it.
    • Talk – Appears to work as normal.
    • Voice Search – Works as normal.
    • Weather – Fully functional. Widget can still be added to home screen and used without problem.
    • YouTube – No longer functional.
    I just can't believe this!!!

I just found out that the GPU on our phone is disabled by default :( :( :(

Force enabling it gave me "unbelievably" smooth graphics. Text no longer fades and blurs while scrolling. Also, the occasional lag I get while playing some games seems to have gone.

However, the graphics drivers are very old and buggy which causes major graphics artefacts. Thats probably the reason Motorola has disabled the GPU.

Motorola, in their ultimate wisdom, decided to disable the GPU altogether instead of updating the kernel, and adreno200 libs

To try this, change the following in build.prop:

debug.composition.type=mdp
    to
    debug.composition.type=gpu

NB: screen will keep turning white while navigating thru system menus. Taping the screen will bring it back to life.

And before someone asks, no we can't update the libs either as they require the Gingerbread kernel (.35) while we have the Froyo kernel (.32)
    Some SBFs

NB:
    To flash those, use RSD Lite 5.6
    Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5:
    DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?h73a80xuhs0ii8j

Chinese 2.3.5:
    DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?20qf909peofbodn

Latin American SBFs:
    [Claro] http://www.grupoandroid.com/topic/41195-firmware-spice-xt531-claro-chile-gingerbread/

[Entel] http://www.grupoandroid.com/topic/40427-firmware-spice-xt531-entel-chile-gingerbread/