[Q] Writing on the touch screen produces wavy lines?

Search This thread

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
Just got my TF201 last night and I tried out some capacitive pens on it. One thing I noticed, even with my finger, is that a straight line does not come out straight. Using Supernote, i drew lines, curves, circles, letters, and they are all bumpy, as though the digitizer is not making a straight line. This can also be seen from the Developer Options in settings when using Show Pointer Location. On my GNex, it looks perfectly straight. But on the Prime, it's very wavy. Is this just inherent to tablets (maybe the bigger screen means a lower res digitizer) or just to the Prime or just to MY Prime?

I'd post examples but I don't have it with me at the moment.

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
got it a bit on mine as well. Also pretty well only on the diagonal lines.

They are not big jumps, but big enough especially if you are planning on doing any precise small lines/writing

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
EXACTLY!!!! THANK YOu!!!!!!

it must be Prime's digitizer. seems lo res. and yea i notice it most on diagonal lines.

i went to Best Buy and did the same test on the xoom, thrive, and tf101. The digitizer on the TF101 and 201 are much much more responsive, BUT they are bumpy on the diagonal lines, the TF101 did better if i drew faster. But the xoom and thrive were super smooth no matter how slow i went.

very disappointing.

anyone else please?

PS I'll post comparative photos when i can

Last edited:

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
Have you been able to do hand write any small text? I find its almost impossible to do. It doesn't always like to register the lines when they are small movements. e seems to be one that really doesnt work well, I think because you never move very far from where you start. Not sure if this "threshold" of movement before it decides to draw a line is software based or somehow built into the hardware.

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
writing small doesn't work well. even on my nexus which has a very nice response. if you use the Supernote, which is a great app (asus stock app), there is a button on the top that you can turn on the writing guide and it's like you are writing on a big piece of lined paper, makes it way easier to just how big to write.

but the diagonal paths still suck.

gsmsosv

Jun 2, 2009
My old Nexus One has the same problem. Strange why Asus would bundle note-taking apps with a touch panel that clearly isn't designed for it. Hopefully that Atmel maxstylus thing will come to fruition.

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
on the xoom and thrive, they were perfect.

but the first asus tablet was slight better but still had the same bumpyness.

the prime's is very bumpy.

makes one wonder, who the hell designs and tests (or not tests) these things that cost half a grand. it would seem someone who shouldn't be designing and no one testing designs.

Reactions: Blairware

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
My Thoughts EXACTLY

makes one wonder, who the hell designs and tests (or not tests) these things that cost half a grand. it would seem someone who shouldn't be designing and no one testing designs.

Where does Asus get off putting the Prime out there as a "Premium" Tablet, with so many obvious R&D issues. I understand cost cutting, and while I am upset by that type of approach, the realities of a low margin business like hardware are understandable.

What I do NOT understand is how Asus, a company that traditionally has been know for HARDWARE, and for providing lot's of cutting edge technologies on their motherboards, ended up letting AsusDesign run the show on the Prime. Yes, the "Spun Metal" design was very attractive, and got the attention Techies and Non-Techies alike.

But even if their testing and research were SO POOR as to miss the GPS issue entirely (which I find amazing. If they missed it, they are lame. If they KNEW, they are dishonest. Either way it destroys any respect I had for the company, which they put the final touch on by showing a fixed product, dressed as a NEW product, while people were already fuming over being sold a defective design. I am not trying to dredge up that whole mess again, just saying that they show VERY bad judgement on stuff like this, time after time. Asus would like to be competitive in the Consumer PRODUCT marketplace, but they are still acting like a small HARDWARE Supplier.

Ahh well, I will stop mybellyaching, as it's not productive. But this digitizer performance, once again having the OG Transformer come out working better that the Prime is REALLY starting to Piss ME OFF!!!

I would HOPE, that after Asus gets done wiping the egg off their face (again) that the lesson learned is: 1. Design and TEST, then redesign and Test, etc... a "premium" or superior or bleeding edge device, and when it it truly ready for Prime Time (pun intended) THEN.... 2. Let AsusDesign have their way with it, and then TEST AGAIN, to validate the design does not compromise the function.

I knew Asus was young, but had I known the level of immaturity, and poor judgement when under pressure, I would probably have steered clear of the Prime... I HOPE I would have been that smart, and not let my desire get in the way of common sense.

There is a fairly high percentage of folks who will defend this tablet against ANY argument. I a sick to death of "I use my phone for GPS, why would I need it in a tablet... blah blah blah.

As an engineer, I have the deepest respect for elegant, and innovative design. That what drew me to the Prime, as the OG was quite good, but this promised to up the ante significantly. I also demand, as much as possible that all of my hardware, from my Tablet to my Leaf Blower work AS DESIGNED.

I see exactly what you are referring to un

arizal

Jun 3, 2007
I have same issue on galaxy tab 10.1.
Drawing diagonals really slowly makes them wavy.
Tested the stylus on htc desire - same thing...

Using finger - waves are smaller, almost unnoticeable.

regards,
arizal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.