Warning about CWM.zip (temporary/Toch recovery) - MUST READ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Warning about using CWM.zip (temporary / Touch recovery) to root or flash any file
Note : This is referance only to CWM.zip , which is temporary/touch recovery commonly used to root device. Other cwm recoveries which are permanent and getting along with custom kernels are safe.

Entropy have quoted this
After seeing multiple reports of Superbricks connected with a "cwm.zip" - I've finally found the source of that file - here.

I checked the recovery binary using "strings" to see if it was a "dangerous" or "safe" one.
Code:
adodd@quadmonkey:~/Documents/galaxynote/tmp/sbin$ strings recovery |grep discard
warning: %s: Wipe via secure discard failed, used discard instead
discard_after_textures
discard_before_textures
Can't discard critical data on CRC error.
discard
discard
The key here is that warning - if that string is present in a binary, it is most likely a dangerous one. Since there have been multiple reports of bricks associated with this zip file, I've sent the moderators a report that this release should be removed.

DON'T USE CWM.zip (touch recovery) at all

Present option to root ICS ROM is

So present option for rooting is - You can select any of one.

1. Short, easy - requires to reset counter

-Download Odin (.tar) version of custom kernel like Notecore, Speedmod, CF root kernel Or other any with same function.
-Flash it using PC odin for PDA tab.
-You will get exclamation mark and raised counter, which can be reset with Triangle Away

2. Long, No raised couter OR Exclamation mark
-Downgrade to Rootable GB ROM and Root it. OR Download This pre rooted GB ROM and flash using PC Odin
-Wipe cache, data and delvic cache from recovery
-Install Mobile Odin Pro
-Copy ICS ROM file in .tar (you want to flash) to Internal SD card (recommended, but you can have it on EXT too)
-Copy one of custom Kernel in .tar file e.g.Notecore, Speedmod, CF root kernel Or other any with same function.
-Open Mobile Odin Pro
-select open file
-Point to ROM file you have copied
-All fiels will popup and feel automatically
-select kernel and point to custom kernel file you have copied
Flash.
Done!

Last edited:

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Do we have any working methods for rooting the latest 4.0.4 Stock ROMS at the moment ?

Or do we need to wait till a fixed CWM is available ?

Last edited:

MR.change

Nov 9, 2011
Baghdad
Warning about using CWM.zip to root or flash any file
Or it is same unsafe like using backup/restore/wipe function with CWM.zip

backup?! is backup also dangerous on an effected kernel? I understand it writes the backup image ,but that's usually to the external SD card which is unaffected by the bug due to different hardware

are you sure a backup is as dangerous as a restore? I backup all the time on an affected kernel :eek:

msedek

Apr 3, 2012
Santiago de chile
I'm on anidroid rom with anidroid kernel and recovery.

Will I brick when I wipe in cwm using this setup?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

andreww88

Aug 6, 2011
Mobile, AL
www.andrewsthoughts.net
-switching Rooted ROM to ICS with Mobile odin pro

How about mobile odin. Is it safe.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Yes, Mobile Odin should be safe if you read what Dr.Ketan said.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I'm on anidroid rom with anidroid kernel and recovery.

Will I brick when I wipe in cwm using this setup?

No, you are safe. From everything I am reading, this is different.

M3TALLICA

Nov 14, 2011
Damn it. I used to flash SpeedMod kernel from "CWM.zip" to root ICS.
But only kernels not ROMs or never used it to factory reset or backup / restore.

From now on I'll use only PC Odin.

edit...

I just checked that Note has 12 partitions and one of those is kernel partition. And last thing I want is corrupt kernel partition.

As Dr Ketan and Entropy told, stay away from "CWM.zip"

Last edited:

Cruzaders

Apr 27, 2012
Pelotas
This is really weird. Ive been using this cwm to flash ics and gb and my phone does have the emmc bug. I made this like 6 or 7 times and had no problem at all... o.o maybe im just lucky

Enviado de meu GT-N7000 usando o Tapatalk 2

andreww88

Aug 6, 2011
Mobile, AL
www.andrewsthoughts.net
This is really weird. Ive been using this cwm to flash ics and gb and my phone does have the emmc bug. I made this like 6 or 7 times and had no problem at all... o.o maybe im just lucky

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Have you tried that eMMc app that chainfire made in Themes/Apps to see if you have a corrupted firmware?

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Are there any other ways to root the device, now that CWM.zip is known to be dangerous....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Use PC Odin.

satishp

Jul 12, 2012
Even I've rooted with the CWM.zip file available in Dr.Ketan's thread a couple of times. But I only use it for installing the SU-Busybox Installer.
I flash everything else with Mobile ODIN.
By the way, If I root using this method, do I lose root if I factory reset? (I'm on speedmod kernel, which is told to be safe)
Or do I have to specifically use the SU-Busybox Uninstaller to Unroot?
Is it safe unrooting after such a discovery has been made?
Does flashing the Busybox ZIP files using this CWM.zip perform any wipes?

dr.ketan

Even I've rooted with the CWM.zip file available in Dr.Ketan's thread a couple of times. But I only use it for installing the SU-Busybox Installer.
I flash everything else with Mobile ODIN.
By the way, If I root using this method, do I lose root if I factory reset? (I'm on speedmod kernel, which is told to be safe)
Or do I have to specifically use the SU-Busybox Uninstaller to Unroot?
Is it safe unrooting after such a discovery has been made?
Does flashing the Busybox ZIP files using this CWM.zip perform any wipes?
Factory reset wont erase root
Y u needbto uninstall busybox i dont understand.
Flashing busybox dont cause any wipe n i am still in process to discuss with entropy, if it is safe just for rooting purpose.

micu999

Dec 14, 2011
Flashing busybox dont cause any wipe n i am still in process to discuss with entropy, if it is safe just for rooting purpose.

so if cwm.zip not save, can u give me link step-by-step to root my galnote in safest way?coz 2 weeks ago i superbrick my galnote once using cwm.zip..

satishp

Jul 12, 2012

I asked because incase I ever need to take the device to a service centre, do I still have to uninstall busybox using SU-busybox Uninstall ZIP file? Because there is no other evidence of the device being rooted other than the busybox application on the phone as the counter is still at 0.
I've never tried unrooting though. So I was wondering whether factory reset would remove busybox as it saves the hassle of unrooting or even flashing back stock via ODIN.

Sorry for being offtopic, I also wanted to ask you one more thing, as you have an Indian Galaxy Note, are you seeing any "clipping" when playing videos with dark scenes or viewing images with dark shadows? Because every Note I've seen here has this issue and there are a lot of threads in XDA describing this issue.

micu999

Dec 14, 2011
Use custom kernel e.g. speedmod CF root kernel in tar format and flash using PC odin. You will get raised counter and exclamation mark. That can be reset using triangle away application by CF.

will it work?bcoz im in ICS ROM.. do i need to downgrade it to GB first?or just flash it?i would like to flash paranoidandroid hybrid ROM, any suggestion?

dr.ketan

I asked because incase I ever need to take the device to a service centre, do I still have to uninstall busybox using SU-busybox Uninstall ZIP file? Because there is no other evidence of the device being rooted other than the busybox application on the phone as the counter is still at 0.
I've never tried unrooting though. So I was wondering whether factory reset would remove busybox as it saves the hassle of unrooting or even flashing back stock via ODIN.

Sorry for being offtopic, I also wanted to ask you one more thing, as you have an Indian Galaxy Note, are you seeing any "clipping" when playing videos with dark scenes or viewing images with dark shadows? Because every Note I've seen here has this issue and there are a lot of threads in XDA describing this issue.

No factory reset won't remove busybox, and unrooting will leave some footprint.
So best way before sending service centre is just to flash stock GB ROM using PC odin + Wipe
No i have never experience clipping issue.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Do we have any working methods for rooting the latest 4.0.4 Stock ROMS at the moment ?

Or do we need to wait till a fixed CWM is available ?
Flash a custom kernel.

You got lucky. Secure erase does not always do damage - in fact it frequently doesn't. But every time you do it, there's a risk of damage.

Are there any other ways to root the device, now that CWM.zip is known to be dangerous....

Flash a custom kernel using PC Odin. Then flash SuperSU or Superuser using it.

Reset the flash counter with TriangleAway

If you wish, reflash the stock kernel for your release with PC Odin.

Even if current custom kernels have some sort of incompatibility with the latest firmwares, to my knowledge all of them (even the obsolete and unmaintained DAFUQ) will allow you to install SuperSU or Superuser then run TriangleAway before flashing back to the stock kernel.

Reactions: xelix2 and dr.ketan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning about using CWM.zip (temporary / Touch recovery) to root or flash any file
    Note : This is referance only to CWM.zip , which is temporary/touch recovery commonly used to root device. Other cwm recoveries which are permanent and getting along with custom kernels are safe.

Entropy have quoted this
    After seeing multiple reports of Superbricks connected with a "cwm.zip" - I've finally found the source of that file - here.

I checked the recovery binary using "strings" to see if it was a "dangerous" or "safe" one.
    Code:
    adodd@quadmonkey:~/Documents/galaxynote/tmp/sbin$ strings recovery |grep discard
    warning: %s: Wipe via secure discard failed, used discard instead
    discard_after_textures
    discard_before_textures
    Can't discard critical data on CRC error.
    discard
    discard
    The key here is that warning - if that string is present in a binary, it is most likely a dangerous one. Since there have been multiple reports of bricks associated with this zip file, I've sent the moderators a report that this release should be removed.

DON'T USE CWM.zip (touch recovery) at all

Present option to root ICS ROM is

So present option for rooting is - You can select any of one.

1. Short, easy - requires to reset counter

-Download Odin (.tar) version of custom kernel like Notecore, Speedmod, CF root kernel Or other any with same function.
    -Flash it using PC odin for PDA tab.
    -You will get exclamation mark and raised counter, which can be reset with Triangle Away

2. Long, No raised couter OR Exclamation mark
    -Downgrade to Rootable GB ROM and Root it. OR Download This pre rooted GB ROM and flash using PC Odin
    -Wipe cache, data and delvic cache from recovery
    -Install Mobile Odin Pro
    -Copy ICS ROM file in .tar (you want to flash) to Internal SD card (recommended, but you can have it on EXT too)
    -Copy one of custom Kernel in .tar file e.g.Notecore, Speedmod, CF root kernel Or other any with same function.
    -Open Mobile Odin Pro
    -select open file
    -Point to ROM file you have copied
    -All fiels will popup and feel automatically
    -select kernel and point to custom kernel file you have copied
    Flash.
    Done!
    stock Kernel N7000XXLPY
    stock ICS 4.0.3

So, could you pls tell me what I'm going to do?

To anyone wanting to get off of CWM.zip and/or unsafe kernel but are not sure how to proceed:

If you want to switch to a safe TW kernel - go to my kernel thread and grab the latest Notecore tar or SpeedMod tar

Should you prefer to go in the CM9 direction - again go to my kernel thread and download CM9_safe_kernel.tar AND the latest CM9 kernel zip

Your kernel tar should be placed on your PC (or whatever), all other files on your Note's SD card.

TW guys should then proceed as follows:

1. start PC Odin, put your Note into download mode
    2. connect the Note to your computer and wait for it to install all the necessary drivers
    3. after you see the yellow COM light in PC Odin, click on PDA and select your kernel tar
    4. flash

If you just want to stay on your present TW Rom with your new TW safe kernel you are done. If you want to flash another TW Rom, go to
    that Rom thread and follow the flashing instructions written for those coming from the safe ICS kernel.

For CM9 guys:

The first four steps are the same as for TW people. After that:

5. reboot into CWM recovery after the flash is done
    6. wipe data, cache and dalvik
    7. install the CM9 Rom of your choice, flash Gapps
    8. flash the latest CM9 kernel
    9. again wipe cache and dalvik
    10. reboot

Everything of the above done, everybody (TW and CM9 guys alike) should download Triangle Away and reset their binary counter.
    Does not apply to rooted ICS

It might be worth starting the OP with the disclaimer that this only applies to unrooted ICS on an unsafe kernel.
    Those using already rooted ICS with a safe kernel (NoteCore, Speedmod, etc.) are not affected by this problem if they use the CWM installed with the safe kernel.

Should prevent some of the confusion.:good:
    Hello,
    sorry my english is not the best. Is it only cwm zip for rooting or any cwm zip file? a rom cwm zip file?

Cwm.Zip Which Used For Rooting

Im not sure i understand.. can i use the following steps?

flash abyss kernel from gb rom using odin - enter recovery - wipe data cache - install cleanote - install wifi fix - reboot - use kernel cleaning script - install note kernel 10 done

is this wrong?
    Your Steps Have No comcern.With This Issue, You Carryon

I think what is needed here is a proper step by step guide pertaining to the new method of rooting in the opening post because the same questions are being repeated and some of us are noobs.

I already bricked once and recovered. Not keen on making a mistake and bricking again.
    I Was In Process Of Communicaion With entropy, Will Update Guide As Everything Clears. Nothing Harm If Wait Few hrs. Just For Now Msg Is Dont Use cwm.Zip (touch recovery)for any purpose

I always used CWM.zip to root and flash custom things like 15 toggles, s3 music player, call recording, etc.

Guess I was lucky.

Let's wait for a safe one, then...

Thanks for the warning.

Everybody used it.as such these scripts don't wipes, but unsafe is unsafe, and ve have not to use it more. Hope will get safe recovery soon, it can b possible with help of developer of that file who signed it.

Flash one of the safe kernels with MobileOdin Pro is safe?:confused:
    Sure, flashing a safe kernel (specially with Mobile Odin and its extra checks - i.e. wipes without format) is safe.
    I see. Testing now using eMMC check. When detecting it, it has insance chip :). Its checking whole memory partition, right ?

Edited :
    Piuh, its passed the test
    Glad it passed! :) Yes, it checks the whole memory, if the phone didn't freeze while it was running, you are good to go

So...

Let me get this straight. I used the CWM.zip method to root (only that and for that time only, never used CWM for anything else). I could had triggered the bug that way... and with the next firmware flash (with PC Odin, I only use that for flashing) I might get a brick. Is this right?

About the "eMMC Brickbug Check" app, I have a doubt about the "check memory". If it fails it means I have already triggered the bug and with the next firmware flash I could brick the Note. If it passes then I have nothing to fear if I flash again. Right? (I have the "insane chip").

P.S.: As I was about to post this reply... the test finished. It passed, took 476s. So now I can happily flash a new firmware if I want? No harm done? :D

Thanks for your patience
    You got it right, you could have triggered the bug but haven't done so. Apparently it's not so common because if not there would be zillion of super bricks because of this. What Dr. Ketan and entropy said was that, technically, the CWM.zip was unsafe.

If you passed the "Check Memory" test then you are OK, you can flash any other ROM happily :good: