[Q] One X vs One S in terms of development

Search This thread

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Hi,
I ask here for your help because I am planning to buy a new phone in the near future, and I am currently deciding between the One S with Snapdragon S4 and the One X with Tegra 3.

I would be very, very grateful if someone could tell me which one is better from the perspective of custom ROM development. Which one has more stable and less buggy CyanogenMod or similar AOSP-based ROMs? I've been lurking here in the One S and One X sections for some time and I can see that neither of those two phones is bugless, but I don't know how severe these problems are, if it is a dealbreaker or you can live with it. Also I get the feeling that the Tegra 3 is lacking in terms of development support and Qualcomm devices are better suited for future development. Is that so or am I wrong?

Another thing which I consider is the display quality, although it is not the main one. I know that the One X has a denser screen with better color reproduction than the One S, due to being an LCD panel, but the blacks are not as deep as the AMOLED on the One S. Is there a big difference? Do the blacks shine too much at night? It would be very cool if someone could post a good photo of the One X displaying a black screen at night.

Just one more question, how does the picture quality from the Sense camera compare to picture quality from CyanogenMod? I know Sense takes better pictures because it is optimized for the hardware, but is it a big difference?

Thank you really much for your answers, I aprecciate your help.

PS.: I posted a similar question here in the One S forum, if you want to take a look.

Reactions: EZY-E

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
This is what HTC says on Reddit (and that answers the part about Nvidia vs Qualcomm quite honestly):
To address an issue that’s top of mind for many folks here, we recently announced that we wouldn’t be updating the HTC One X and One X+ beyond Android 4.2. Without the support of our chip manufacturer Nvidia, it made a global update of One X and X+ devices impossible. However, in US the One X uses the Qualcomm chip and an upgrade would be possible, but we didn’t think it would be a good experience for our customer base to update the X, but not the X+. This update caused a huge stir amongst owners and we’ve heard you loud and clear, so we’re now actively exploring how we can make the jump to 4.4.
So, Qualcomm FTW. But one thing I can't understand is how the Nexus 7 2012 got KitKat, when it's using the Tegra 3 too. It still feels like Nvidia abandoned it on 4.1, though.

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
This is what HTC says on Reddit (and that answers the part about Nvidia vs Qualcomm quite honestly):

So, Qualcomm FTW. But one thing I can't understand is how the Nexus 7 2012 got KitKat, when it's using the Tegra 3 too. It still feels like Nvidia abandoned it on 4.1, though.

The nexus 7 has the T30L while the OneX/X+ use AP33/37. Nvidia still provides support for T30L but not for AP3x.

Sent from my One X

Reactions: frantisek.nesveda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I ask here for your help because I am planning to buy a new phone in the near future, and I am currently deciding between the One S with Snapdragon S4 and the One X with Tegra 3.

I would be very, very grateful if someone could tell me which one is better from the perspective of custom ROM development. Which one has more stable and less buggy CyanogenMod or similar AOSP-based ROMs? I've been lurking here in the One S and One X sections for some time and I can see that neither of those two phones is bugless, but I don't know how severe these problems are, if it is a dealbreaker or you can live with it. Also I get the feeling that the Tegra 3 is lacking in terms of development support and Qualcomm devices are better suited for future development. Is that so or am I wrong?

Another thing which I consider is the display quality, although it is not the main one. I know that the One X has a denser screen with better color reproduction than the One S, due to being an LCD panel, but the blacks are not as deep as the AMOLED on the One S. Is there a big difference? Do the blacks shine too much at night? It would be very cool if someone could post a good photo of the One X displaying a black screen at night.

Just one more question, how does the picture quality from the Sense camera compare to picture quality from CyanogenMod? I know Sense takes better pictures because it is optimized for the hardware, but is it a big difference?

Thank you really much for your answers, I aprecciate your help.

PS.: I posted a similar question here in the One S forum, if you want to take a look.

The nexus 7 has the T30L while the OneX/X+ use AP33/37. Nvidia still provides support for T30L but not for AP3x.

Sent from my One X