[Q] [NOT ASKING FOR HOWTO] A query about CM and rooting.

Search This thread

taetiem

Feb 11, 2014
Hello XDA.

For a while now I've been thinking about rooting and adding a custom ROM to my phone. It seems like fun and I'd like to get involved.

Recently (as in I have no idea) Cyanogenmod released a new update that doesn't require the user to root their phone in order to install CM. However rooting allows full administrative access which is something that I'd like to have. Does CM root in the process of installation or does CM by itself have enough capability and features so you don't require rooting at all? If not, do people still root their phones before installing CM?

For starters I'm running Android version 4.1.2, if that will help in anyway possible.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Hello XDA.

For a while now I've been thinking about rooting and adding a custom ROM to my phone. It seems like fun and I'd like to get involved.

Recently (as in I have no idea) Cyanogenmod released a new update that doesn't require the user to root their phone in order to install CM. However rooting allows full administrative access which is something that I'd like to have. Does CM root in the process of installation or does CM by itself have enough capability and features so you don't require rooting at all? If not, do people still root their phones before installing CM?

For starters I'm running Android version 4.1.2, if that will help in anyway possible.

Could you post a link to the source saying you don't need root to install cm? You can't actually post a link because you're brand new, but post the url anyway.

CM in itself does not root the device. The process of rooting is simply granting administrative permission as you already mentioned. It has root managing applications (such as supersu) installed, and a lot of its built in features require root access. I can't think of any instance where you could install the rom without root permission because it needs to change specific files to run, such as the kernel and system partition. This by default can't be changed without rooting the device.

Rooting is very easy and has to be done first, then you have to unlock the bootloader, then you can install custom roms. As long as you aren't on the 4.3 update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

taetiem

Feb 11, 2014
Could you post a link to the source saying you don't need root to install cm? You can't actually post a link because you're brand new, but post the url anyway.

CM in itself does not root the device. The process of rooting is simply granting administrative permission as you already mentioned. It has root managing applications (such as supersu) installed, and a lot of its built in features require root access. I can't think of any instance where you could install the rom without root permission because it needs to change specific files to run, such as the kernel and system partition. This by default can't be changed without rooting the device.

Rooting is very easy and has to be done first, then you have to unlock the bootloader, then you can install custom roms. As long as you aren't on the 4.3 update.

It's on the wiki under "/w/CyanogenMod_Installer"

Code:
Do I need to root my phone before installing?

No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn't care. However, to be in a supported configuration, you need to be running a stock ROM.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

Code:

No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn't care. However, to be in a supported configuration, you need to be running a stock ROM.

OK, so no, this will not work on our device. Specifically because we have a locked bootloader.

A lot of the coding in the cyanogenmod wiki is extremely confusing. Even doing something as simple as installing the rom written on that website looks very unnecessary to me. There are much easier ways to do it that don't involve such complicated processes, with such potential to brick a device.

I feel like a lot of the developers know how to use heimdall which can write to any device. Our device can use Odin though which is much more user friendly. When they write guides, they write for many devices, and they're unaware of simpler methods on each phone.

In a nutshell, I'd follow guides here on xda on how to root and install custom roms. Just make sure to follow the correct guides for your baseband and you should be good to go. Once you root and unlock the bootloader, you can install any custom rom you want simply by flashing in recovery.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

Code:

I agreed with Badusername, to be safe you should just stay within Verizon S3 thread and here is the info how to root/unlock 4.1.2 bootloader, install custom recovery then flash custom rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046439