Windows 8.1 on GT-P5210... Some thinking out loud.

Search This thread

mobile_mogul

Apr 15, 2009
Greetings!
Our tablet (GT-P5210) is extremely close to the makings of an ativ tab 3. I'm researching anything I can that surrounds Intel based tablets (more specifically the clover-trail/clover-trail+ platforms) and how roms are flashed to them. I've found that in order to flash any Samsung windows based device, you must plug in a keyboard. Has anyone tried holding the windows key down at boot using a regular keyboard using the otg cable and a properly formatted SD card or USB stick with Windows 8.1 32-bit, all to see if anything happens at all on our tabs? I seriously doubt anything will come of it as the boot loader is for android, but you never know...

Also, I found this on the Microsoft website:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...m=gt-p5210&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows 8.1
Interesting to say the least...

How can we go about adding an option into CWM or TWRP to boot from sd card? That may be all we need...

Edit:
I'm willing to throw a couple litecoins into a pool to get this going. I don't think a bounty could hurt....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitro_123

mobile_mogul

Apr 15, 2009
Update:
I'm researching how to chainload something on our devices...
I'm thinking if I can get a multirom cooked up with the second rom being a simple chainloader to another bootloader, we may have something. Someone please provide input as i'm blindly going about this...

Restl3ss

Aug 3, 2013
Fort Mcmurray
We need to get this ported in...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011403
After that, we should be able to boot some sort of a linux distro... Which is a step in the right direction.

Way easier said than done. Forgetting for a second that it's a completely different bootloader, much of the intel-specific things are not available in the source tree. Not impossible, but it's a fairly large project.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

We need to get this ported in...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011403
After that, we should be able to boot some sort of a linux distro... Which is a step in the right direction.

That being said, I'm still willing to go the mile.

mobile_mogul

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think it's a full bootloader...
I believe the mod is of 3 parts:
1.) A mod to TWRP (Adds the multiboot option to advanced)
2.) Kernel Edit (kexec-hardboot patch)
3.) The multirom.zip mod files.

Nitro_123

Feb 26, 2011
Sydney
I've been wanting to do the same thing since the Tab 3 came out :p I also came to the same conclusions as you but I didn't know about the multiboot tool :D
I'm sure we can do SOMETHING if some people smarter than us work on it :p I think Linux will be easy and even Windows can be made to work on the tab 3
Only time will tell though :)
Good luch :D

calden74

Sep 24, 2011
Wow, talk about trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. Even if it was possible and I highly doubt it, the experience would be dreadful at best. With only 1GB RAM, 16GB of slow SSD space, a CPU that has half of the CPU score that a current Quadcore Atom tablet has, I shudder the thought.You are much better in trying to get Android working on a Dell Venue Pro 8, which is a fantastic tablet by the way, than the other way around. It would also benefit a much larger community, where as this maybe a handful would want.

Last edited:

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
What do you have against Tab 3 10.1 ?

Wow, talk about trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. Even if it was possible and I highly doubt it, the experience would be dreadful at best. With only 1GB RAM, 16GB of slow SSD space, a CPU that has half of the CPU score that a current Quadcore Atom tablet has, I shudder the thought.You are much better in trying to get Android working on a Dell Venue Pro 8, which is a fantastic tablet by the way, than the other way around. It would also benefit a much larger community, where as this maybe a handful would want.
I wonder what's wrong with you !!! Because we were on another discussion about Tab 3 8.0 vs Tab 3 10.1 earler :D
Windows is running on a friend computer which have Intel Genuine T2050 CPU and 1gb of RAM !!!
It's just running fine !
Genuine CPU should NOT such faster than Atom Z2560. And Atom Z2560 does support Intel VT-X and HyperThreading Technology.
Go here and read comments.
Windows 8 requires almost the same thing as Windows 7.
Windows 8/7 canNOT run on an ARM arch anyhow !!! While it's possible for Tab 3 if you've the necessary knowledge.
Don't Compare an x86 CPU to a QuadCore Armel cpu :cool:
All QuadCores won't pass x86 CPUs, True Octa Cores and CPUs with Krait instead of Cortex should perform better.
Even if you have 2X True Octa Cores CPU (16 Cores) you canNOT install anyhow Windows 8 on it unless you've an ISO for ARM CPUs.
If you don't like Tab 3, you should simply headout the forum :silly:
(Kidding :D )

Sent from Gallifrey using TARDIS

calden74

Sep 24, 2011
I wonder what's wrong with you !!! Because we were on another discussion about Tab 3 8.0 vs Tab 3 10.1 earler :D
Windows is running on a friend computer which have Intel Genuine T2050 CPU and 1gb of RAM !!!
It's just running fine !
Genuine CPU should NOT such faster than Atom Z2560. And Atom Z2560 does support Intel VT-X and HyperThreading Technology.
Go here and read comments.
Windows 8 requires almost the same thing as Windows 7.
Windows 8/7 canNOT run on an ARM arch anyhow !!! While it's possible for Tab 3 if you've the necessary knowledge.
Don't Compare an x86 CPU to a QuadCore Armel cpu :cool:
All QuadCores won't pass x86 CPUs, True Octa Cores and CPUs with Krait instead of Cortex should perform better.
Even if you have 2X True Octa Cores CPU (16 Cores) you canNOT install anyhow Windows 8 on it unless you've an ISO for ARM CPUs.
If you don't like Tab 3, you should simply headout the forum :silly:
(Kidding :D )

I wasn't talking about ARM, never came up. I was refering to the Intel Quad Core Atom CPU's found in almost every Windows 8 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 pro. I understand you can install Windows 7 on a machine with such low specs but is it really worth it. Is this project even worth your time, especially when you can purchase said Dell tablet for only 200 dollars now at Amazon. It's 5 times faster than the Tab 3, twice the RAM and twice the SSD, already comes with Windows 8 and Office, plus there are now projects trying to get Android to work on it. I'm not trying to be a **** here but you would also have to look at the benefits that this project would bring to community as a whole. The user would first have to first purchase a license for Windows 8, half the price of the Dell Venue 8 Pro already, install Windows following what I could only imagine, long and detailed instructions that will require loosing Android in the end, so no dual booting. Then they will have a really slow tablet to contend with. I had an Asus VivoTab Smart last year, it had a dual core Atom that was at least twice as fast as the CPU found in the Tab 3, CPU score of 686 according to cpubenchmarks.com and 2 GB of ram and I found the Windows 8 experience to be horrible.

Save yourself some time and buy a Dell Venue 8 Pro for 200 dollars. Their very fast, almost twice the battery life as the Tab 3 10.1 and you will soon be able to install Android on it, with dual booting.

Here's the big one, the firmware in the Tab 3 doesn't support Windows 8, nor can you flash it to make it work. Remember, you'll need a UEFI. Who know's, there a some pretty talented people out there, maybe someone will figure it out but again is it worth their time or yours. There is also no support for the video card, soooo... Why not focus your time in creating a better custom Android ROM, there are only two in the development forums right now and their both crap, bloated and extremely slow. The 10.1 is in desperate need of a barebones Android ROM, that's where your focus should be.

Oh and one more thing, Windows 8 supports ARM, what do you think Windows RT is, it's Windows 8, identical in everyway except it has been compiled for ARM. Prior to Windows 8, Microsoft had an embedded version of Windows that also ran on ARM.

Last edited:

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
You're funny :D

I wasn't talking about ARM, never came up. I was refering to the Intel Quad Core Atom CPU's found in almost every Windows 8 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 pro. I understand you can install Windows 7 on a machine with such low specs but is it really worth it. Is this project even worth your time, especially when you can purchase said Dell tablet for only 200 dollars now at Amazon. It's 5 times faster than the Tab 3, twice the RAM and twice the SSD, already comes with Windows 8 and Office, plus there are now projects trying to get Android to work on it. I'm not trying to be a **** here but you would also have to look at the benefits that this project would bring to community as a whole. The user would first have to first purchase a license for Windows 8, half the price of the Dell Venue 8 Pro already, install Windows following what I could only imagine, long and detailed instructions that will require loosing Android in the end, so no dual booting. Then they will have a really slow tablet to contend with. I had an Asus VivoTab Smart last year, it had a dual core Atom that was at least twice as fast as the CPU found in the Tab 3, CPU score of 686 according to cpubenchmarks.com and 2 GB of ram and I found the Windows 8 experience to be horrible.

Save yourself some time and buy a Dell Venue 8 Pro for 200 dollars. Their very fast, almost twice the battery life as the Tab 3 10.1 and you will soon be able to install Android on it, with dual booting.

Here's the big one, the firmware in the Tab 3 doesn't support Windows 8, nor can you flash it to make it work. Remember, you'll need a UEFI. Who know's, there a some pretty talented people out there, maybe someone will figure it out but again is it worth their time or yours. There is also no support for the video card, soooo... Why not focus your time in creating a better custom Android ROM, there are only two in the development forums right now and their both crap, bloated and extremely slow. The 10.1 is in desperate need of a barebones Android ROM, that's where your focus should be.

Oh and one more thing, Windows 8 supports ARM, what do you think Windows RT is, it's Windows 8, identical in everyway except it has been compiled for ARM. Prior to Windows 8, Microsoft had an embedded version of Windows that also ran on ARM.
I am in a country where RESTRICTION make all my dreams become a pure nightmare !
I am from Morocco ! I checked almost all online stores and stores I know, I can't find any good Windows 8 tablet :(
Only Acer Iconia W3-810 is available in almost all stores which really is a CRAP* :p (windows 8 on 8" screen really looks painful)
I am seriously looking for a good Windows 8 Tablet like Acer W700 or W510 or your so called Dell Venue Pro.
I can found them on ebay or Amazon with ease BUT seller won't ship WOLDWIDE ! Even if they will, I can't pay, since you nedd a credit card or PayPal and I have none.
The idea comes to my mind to get a Windows 8 tablet and then install Android-x86 or Android on IA.
Don't hesitate to help if you can.

About Developing for Tab 3, dev are NOT interested for working on a x86 CPU that's why.

And Microsoft Windows RT canNOT run x86 programs unless you emulate. Windows 8 cames out pre-installed, you canNOT reinstall through USB or Whatever since there's NO Windows8_arm.iso anywhere :p Update/Upgrade can only be done via MS Store. If there was an arm image for installing Windows 8 manually, nexus 7 would have been running already since it can boot from USB (with Multi-Boot bootloader).

creep138

Apr 21, 2011
clearwater
[quote name="calden74" post=51141473]I wasn't talking about ARM, never came up. I was refering to the Intel Quad Core Atom CPU's found in almost every Windows 8 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 pro. I understand you can install Windows 7 on a machine with such low specs but is it really worth it. Is this project even worth your time, especially when you can purchase said Dell tablet for only 200 dollars now at Amazon. It's 5 times faster than the Tab 3, twice the RAM and twice the SSD, already comes with Windows 8 and Office, plus there are now projects trying to get Android to work on it. I'm not trying to be a **** here but you would also have to look at the benefits that this project would bring to community as a whole. The user would first have to first purchase a license for Windows 8, half the price of the Dell Venue 8 Pro already, install Windows following what I could only imagine, long and detailed instructions that will require loosing Android in the end, so no dual booting. Then they will have a really slow tablet to contend with. I had an Asus VivoTab Smart last year, it had a dual core Atom that was at least twice as fast as the CPU found in the Tab 3, CPU score of 686 according to cpubenchmarks.com and 2 GB of ram and I found the Windows 8 experience to be horrible. <br />
<br />
Save yourself some time and buy a Dell Venue 8 Pro for 200 dollars. Their very fast, almost twice the battery life as the Tab 3 10.1 and you will soon be able to install Android on it, with dual booting.<br />
<br />
Here's the big one, the firmware in the Tab 3 doesn't support Windows 8, nor can you flash it to make it work. Remember, you'll need a UEFI. Who know's, there a some pretty talented people out there, maybe someone will figure it out but again is it worth their time or yours. There is also no support for the video card, soooo... Why not focus your time in creating a better custom Android ROM, there are only two in the development forums right now and their both crap, bloated and extremely slow. The 10.1 is in desperate need of a barebones Android ROM, that's where your focus should be.<br />
<br />
<br />
I am in a country where RESTRICTION make all my dreams become a pure nightmare !<br />
I am from Morocco ! I checked almost all online stores and stores I know, I can't find any good Windows 8 tablet :( <br />
Only Acer Iconia W3-810 is available in almost all stores which really is a CRAP* :p (windows 8 on 8" screen really looks painful)<br />
I am seriously looking for a good Windows 8 Tablet like Acer W700 or W510 or your so called Dell Venue Pro.<br />
I can found them on ebay or Amazon with ease BUT seller won't ship WOLDWIDE ! Even if they will, I can't pay, since you nedd a credit card or PayPal and I have none.<br />
The idea comes to my mind to get a Windows 8 tablet and then install Android-x86 or Android on IA.<br />
Don't hesitate to help if you can.<br />
<br />
About Developing for Tab 3, dev are NOT interested for working on a x86 CPU that's why.<br />
<br />
And Microsoft Windows RT canNOT run x86 programs unless you emulate. Windows 8 cames out pre-installed, you canNOT reinstall through USB or Whatever since there's NO Windows8_arm.iso anywhere :p Update/Upgrade can only be done via MS Store. If there was an arm image for installing Windows 8 manually, nexus 7 would have been running already since it can boot from USB (with Multi-Boot bootloader).<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Sent from Gallifrey using TARDIS[/QUOTE]
Sorry to butt in but clap!!! Best argument ever!!! He tried to make you look like a troll but you put him right back under that bridge lol. Cheers

Sent from my SM-T217S using xda app-developers app

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
Have NO idea what you mean ?

Sorry to butt in but clap!!! Best argument ever!!! He tried to make you look like a troll but you put him right back under that bridge lol. Cheers

OMG !!! What do you mean by this statement ?
To whom are you talking to ?
And please try to learn "How to Quote" :D
Your quotes are really...

Last edited:

creep138

Apr 21, 2011
clearwater

OMG !!! What do you mean by this statement ?
To whom are you talking to ?
And please try to learn "How to Quote" :D
Your quotes are really...

I'm quoting from the app, and I was on your side but damn you made yourself look like an ass.

Good luck with this project your gonna get no help on, probably not even get to boot. Good luck.

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
Calm Down !

I'm quoting from the app, and I was on your side but damn you made yourself look like an ass.

Good luck with this project your gonna get no help on, probably not even get to boot. Good luck.

Calm Down and "Peace, Bro" :D
You do NOT own a Tab 3 10.1 ! Isn't it ?
And this is NOT my thread. I have my own thread about running windows 8 on Tab 3 and inside Android NOT a native installation.
Keep Calm and Don't be MAD :cowboy:

creep138

Apr 21, 2011
clearwater
I ain't mad, I was just on your side about things considering the troll told you to work on vanilla android instead of windows 8 on your device. The XDA app quoted both of you for some reason. I just took it to offense and apologize for it.

Again I'm gonna stick your side by saying developing is about pushing limits on the device, its not ment for moochers to demand what they want. After all, no one has to share what they've accomplished, but I'm glad they do. How he called the other Roms crap pissed me off, cause the devs took the time to do it and share it while he just ridiculed them for what they made, and demands cyanogen mod basically. **** that guy, if he doesn't like it then he should take the time to do it his damn self. Let's see what he can accomplish.

I know I'm not on your device, but development is slow I just kinda read out of boredom cause of nothing to flash lol. I guess I am a troll too.

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
Wordles !

I ain't mad, I was just on your side about things considering the troll told you to work on vanilla android instead of windows 8 on your device. The XDA app quoted both of you for some reason. I just took it to offense and apologize for it.

Again I'm gonna stick your side by saying developing is about pushing limits on the device, its not ment for moochers to demand what they want. After all, no one has to share what they've accomplished, but I'm glad they do. How he called the other Roms crap pissed me off, cause the devs took the time to do it and share it while he just ridiculed them for what they made, and demands cyanogen mod basically. **** that guy, if he doesn't like it then he should take the time to do it his damn self. Let's see what he can accomplish.

I know I'm not on your device, but development is slow I just kinda read out of boredom cause of nothing to flash lol. I guess I am a troll too.

Idk what I am gonna say more :D
The Logic thing is that: He don't like Samsung Tab 3 (specially 7.0 and 10.1 because 8.0 have an Exynos CPU + a Mali-400 Quad Core GPU). Btw, he refuse to admit it :cowboy:
I agree that development of Tab 3 7 and 10 is really slow (specially 10.1) because these devices have newer CPU so devs need more time to focus on.
You also don't have to apologize at all ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!
    Our tablet (GT-P5210) is extremely close to the makings of an ativ tab 3. I'm researching anything I can that surrounds Intel based tablets (more specifically the clover-trail/clover-trail+ platforms) and how roms are flashed to them. I've found that in order to flash any Samsung windows based device, you must plug in a keyboard. Has anyone tried holding the windows key down at boot using a regular keyboard using the otg cable and a properly formatted SD card or USB stick with Windows 8.1 32-bit, all to see if anything happens at all on our tabs? I seriously doubt anything will come of it as the boot loader is for android, but you never know...

Also, I found this on the Microsoft website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...m=gt-p5210&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows 8.1
    Interesting to say the least...

How can we go about adding an option into CWM or TWRP to boot from sd card? That may be all we need...

Edit:
    I'm willing to throw a couple litecoins into a pool to get this going. I don't think a bounty could hurt....