[Q] Downgrading from 4.4. to 4.3

Search This thread

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Morning everyone,
I have been reading for days trying to get a handle on downgrading my phone to JB 4.3. I am s-off, unlocked, rooted, with current TWRP installed. I also am using SuperSu. I suspect I am just not using the right combination of programming. My first thought is that I need the correct Hboot to go with the ROM I want. Currently I am on Android 4.4.2 with sense 5.5. Software is 4.18.502.7 CL302626. I have loaded a custom Hboot which removed the developer red text. and have also removed the tampered warning with a bit of help from here. I am quite happy with remaining s-off and unlocked. I am decent with ADB commands. I understand Linux fairly well, and can even use a hex editor in a crude way.

The last 4.3 RUU_exe and RUU_zip would not complete. The EXE stated not compatible. The ZIP failed looking for the Android-info_txt. I looked in the ZIP file thinking it might need modified and did not find the Android-info file at all. Lead me to believe that I may not be hitting the correct file for my use. So, at the risk of asking a repeated question I have finally come here for a push in the right direction.

I have not messed with all of this since I modded my old EVO 4G from Sprint. The new Android system worked well in stock form. I started down this road because of my desire to move back to 4.3

And I did attempt to use the search function but did not find exactly what I want. Appreciate any help I may be able to get.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
My first thought is that I need the correct Hboot to go with the ROM I want.
No! you don't have to flash hboot to be able to flash a rom, you can flash a 4.4 Rom even if i.e you are on hboot 1.44.

Currently I am on Android 4.4.2 with sense 5.5. Software is 4.18.502.7 CL302626. I have loaded a custom Hboot which removed the developer red text and have also removed the tampered warning with a bit of help from here. I am quite happy with remaining s-off
I hope so, never turn S-ON with a modded hboot or you will probably brick your phone. Anyway, never S-ON!

The last 4.3 RUU_exe and RUU_zip would not complete. The EXE stated not compatible.
What version of RUU.exe and zip? Please also post the output of fastboot getvar all except IMEI. What was the error code of the ruu.exe and what was the output when attempting to flash the ruu.zip? you were in fastboot ruu mode right? Did you md5 check both the zip and exe?

The ZIP failed looking for the Android-info_txt. I looked in the ZIP file thinking it might need modified and did not find the Android-info file at all.
android-info.txt should be inside ruu.zip, however if you have the correct ruu for your mid/cid you should not have to modify the android-info.txt

Last edited:

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Answers

Will do my best to answer.

1) Your example was a newer ROM on an older Hboot. I am going to older ROM on newer Hboot. Any difference.
2) No intention of turning S-on. Understand risks of modified Hboot. I do have stock Hboot if needed.
3) The RUU.exe is RUU_M7_UL_SENSE 5.0_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed_2
4) The RUU.zip is RUU Zip M7_UL_JB43_Sense50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3-decrypted
5) I did not copy the prompt screne on the ADB failure. I believe it was a parsing failure 24 on the Android-info.txt
6) Yes, using fastboot mode. Showing Fastboot USB and entering into the screen with the silver HTC logo.
7) I am honestly not sure if I checked both items for md5 sums.
8) I have to copy and paste the get var yet.

Working on the rest.

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
Will do my best to answer.

1) Your example was a newer ROM on an older Hboot. I am going to older ROM on newer Hboot. Any difference.
2) No intention of turning S-on. Understand risks of modified Hboot. I do have stock Hboot if needed.
3) The RUU.exe is RUU_M7_UL_SENSE 5.0_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_Radio_4A19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_signed_2
4) The RUU.zip is RUU Zip M7_UL_JB43_Sense50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3-decrypted
5) I did not copy the prompt screne on the ADB failure. I believe it was a parsing failure 24 on the Android-info.txt
6) Yes, using fastboot mode. Showing Fastboot USB and entering into the screen with the silver HTC logo.
7) I am honestly not sure if I checked both items for md5 sums.
8) I have to copy and paste the get var yet.

Working on the rest.

1) no
5,7) make sure to md5 check your ruu. Looks like a bad download
3,4,8) still waiting for your getvar

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Text files as requested

Getvar results edited out end of serial number and the imei. The meid does come up as all zeros.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.502.7
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT34NW(xxxxxxx)
(bootloader) imei: a very private thing
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4123mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-c6bbb6d4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Android-info text from the zip file

modelid: PN0712000
cidnum: CWS__001
mainver: 3.17.502.3
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3

Working on back checking md5 sums

Thanks so far.

JB

alray

May 22, 2012
Getvar results edited out end of serial number and the imei. The meid does come up as all zeros.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.502.7
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT34NW(xxxxxxx)
(bootloader) imei: a very private thing
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4123mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-c6bbb6d4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Android-info text from the zip file

modelid: PN0712000
cidnum: CWS__001
mainver: 3.17.502.3
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3

Working on back checking md5 sums

Thanks so far.

JB

you should try to flash the stock hboot and flash the zip ruu again

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Reflashin

you should try to flash the stock hboot and flash the zip ruu again

I was using the stock Hboot from the OTA via AT&T. I put in the modified one to drop the ugly tampered stuff. Though that might have had something to do with my problem. And tried again with the modified Hboot.

Checked both md5s and good to go there.

JB

Last edited:

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Flash timeframe

Is it possible I am too impatient on the flash of the Zip file? Phone sat with no progress for about 5-10 minutes on the silver HTC screen.

JB

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Output on oemRUU attempt

Here is what I get when I attempt to use the zip file to flash the phone.
It is the same whether unlocked or relocked.

:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) Start Verify: 0
OKAY [ 0.047s]
finished. total time: 0.047s

C:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip jelly.zip
sending 'zip' (1114992 KB)...
OKAY [ 57.002s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail
FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
finished. total time: 68.047s

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Think I got it fixed

Very busy right now but will report back and explain what I did.
Mainly due to being unfamiliar with different file types and which uses what method for update/load.

JB

lonestarmedic

Jan 15, 2011
Back to 4.3 succsessfully

Ok, long process of learning. Found my problem was with the RUU that I was using. The md5 was ok. It just was not what was needed for using via fastboot.

Do not know what it is, but it has the following inside the zip file:
1) META INF folder
2)system folder
3)boot.img

Sure does not work for fastboot!!! I found a zip on here that had the right file name and was odexed. Downloaded, checked the md5, then unzipped to read the Android-info.txt file. All looked right. Made a backup of phone and loaded it on in.

Succsess!!! Of course I had to put TWRP back in and root the phone.

So, brief sequence of what I did:
1) OTA update from 4.3 to 4.4.2 caused problems with applications
2) Phone in stock form with Hboot 1.56
3) Unlocked phone - HTCdev website used
4) Rooted phone with SuperSU and installed TWRP
5) Played with ROMS and did not like any of them, decided to revert back to 4,3
6) Phone would not S-off with stock ROM using Rumrunner
7) Ended up with the combination of Android Revolution HD and Firewater. Used my UBUNTU Linux to perform S-off.
8) Back-up performed
9) Used zip file and fastboot to load 4.3
10) Now have Hboot 1.56 with 4.3 unlocked, stock Hboot, and S-off.

Thanks for listening to my rantings.
Maybe this will help someone else with an AT&T HTC One.

JB