Apr 13, 2011
attachment.php
Katnerstone Hybrid Rom
attachment.php

JellyBean 4.2.2
MultiWindow Panels - EOS4 & Cornerstone based
KatKernel & KatBoost included

Hi everyone :)
Here's the first rom including my Cornerstone port to Jellybean 4.2.2 :)
Quite a few have been impatient to get it, and as TeamEOS prefers not to have an official Cornerstone build at the moment,
I'm taking it into its dedicated thread, so that you can get a first taste, and it should help the traffic in the original EOS4 thread that way too.

Keep in mind that it's still a Work in progress, don't try it unless you're ready to play with a few bugs and workarounds for the moment.
Make sure you read post#2 to see the already known issues & workarounds

attachment.php

DOWNLOADS:
  • ROM: Katnerstone-4.2.2_V033.zip
  • FSYNC is off by default in the rom, if you prefer it on just flash this after the rom: fsync_on.zip
  • Latest Gapps Package: 4.2.2 Gapps for TF101
  • Older 4.2.1 Eos Gapps for TF101
    If you prefer to have the Swipe feature in the default Keyboard you can use this version, but the Keyboard will crash on auto-correction
    If you use this version, make sure you go the keyboard settings and change these settings:
    + Auto-correction off
    + Show correction suggestions:always hide

What's Cornerstone ?
Cornerstone is a code modification to the window manager & graphic layers that allows you to run 3 apps together on the same screen in different panels.
You can also run without the 3 panels (so that it is the same than running a regular rom), start or stop the multi panel interface at any time,
the side panels can also be collapsed or expanded at run time.
For more information see their website: http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

Features:
Feature wise you get all the EOS4 features + Cornerstone on top.
See respective links for details.

Installation Notes:
As with any JB4.2.2 roms you need a recent recovery to flash it. The latest TWRP is advised.

Going to Katnerstone4.2.2 from a rom < 4.2.2:
  • Backup everything !
  • Go to recovery
  • Make a full wipe / factory reset
  • format /system
  • Flash the rom
  • Flash optional kernel
  • Flash gapps
  • Wipe cache/dalvik
  • Reboot
Updating from Katnerstone 4.2.2 #VXXX to #VYYY:
You can usually skip the full wipe step.
If ever you encounter an issue make sure you make a full wipe first before reporting though.

Main Goals:
Well of course the ultimate goal will be to eat all the bugs ;)
I'll go by priorities:
- Fix the few bugs introduced when not running in 3 panels mode.
That way we can basically use it as a daily rom, and then decide to activate the panels or not as needed.
- Fix the cornerstone specific bugs.
- Improve the rom and cornerstone features.

Issues & Workarounds:
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress, and I'll try to improve it as time permit.
Cornerstone is not released for Jellybean 4.2.2, so it required quite a few adjustments, and there are still bugs,
some introduced by the 4.2.2 version, and some that are still there since the 1st cornerstone version for ICS.

See post #2 for more details & how to report

Disclaimer: The usual
The rom is provided as is.
Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

Changelog: -
Sources: https://github.com/timduru/

Credits:
- TeamEOS for the original EOS4 rom
- Onskreen for the original cornerstone code

Attachments

• Katnerstone.jpg
    Katnerstone.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 41,573
  • Katnerstone_NavBarHidden.jpg
    Katnerstone_NavBarHidden.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 5,067
  • MultiWinOff.jpg
    MultiWinOff.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4,980
  • KAT.png
    KAT.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,812,724
  • KAT_mirror.png
    KAT_mirror.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 3,467,136
Last edited:

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Additional info & links

Known Issues & Tips:

Multi-panel interface specific:
  • When collapsing the small panels, part of the apps will stay on top of the cornerstone interface.
    => just ignore, you can still hit the collapse/expand button in between the apps
  • Collapsing and expanding might not position the cornerstone "vertical bar" correctly sometime
    => just hit the collapse/expand button a couple of times and it'll reposition correctly.

Without running the multi-panel interface:
  • The default browser's is displaying the first page even if you choose another page
    => Start the cornerstone panels and try again.
  • Launcher seems to get killed everytime you hit the home button.
    => It doesn't do it if you run the panels.
  • Recent apps window might rotate wrongly.
  • Top most dialogs will get crazy and flash (dialogs asking you for default apps and so on)
    => you can still click on the choices if you're fast
    => hitting the home button or another recent app will get you out of the "loop"
    => running with the multipanel interface is not having this issue, so you can start the multipanel temporarily the time you can pick the choice in the topmost dialog.

General:
  • The cornerstone code might stop services randomly, this bug is there since the first release of Cornerstone unfortunately, so it might not be easy to fix.
    Annoying side effects: everything that relies on a service that has been killed might not work properly (clock will not update, some of the EOSCC changes won't work, and so on...)
  • The original code is made for TabletUI, so it's not aware of of the statusbar on top, because of that the apps and cornerstone interface is "layered under the status bar currently.
    => For the top cornerstone panel you can still reach the top right button to choose the app running in the panel, even if you can't see the icon just click there.
  • Not all apps are compatible with the cornerstone code
  • Desktop wallpaper might not display with default laucher
    => use another launcher

EOS4 & JB Specific:
GPS:
if it is taking a long time to get a lock or no lock, follow this:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38368206&postcount=2452

Google search:
If the version you're using is crashing when you open Google Now,
go to Settings => Language & Input => Voice Search , then uncheck Hotword Detection.

Other Tips

How to report:

Things to check before reporting:
- If it's a general question or if it is not specific to this rom ask in the Q&A section
- make sure you have read all the tips and searched on the forum before reporting an issue.
- try to reproduce your issue right after flashing and before restoring anything
- wait that the cpu usage is down to close to 0% for a few seconds before proceeding with testing.
- Check that it is not already listed in the known issues.

Reports about performances issues:
Keep in mind that coming from a full wipe / factory reset, there are a few cpu and disk io tasks that are going to happen:
- Mediascanner service is going to rescan all your medias, which can take from a few minutes to a few hours or days if you have many
- Google will restore / sync things.
So make sure that it is finished and that some app is not eating the cpu or disk io before reporting.

What to send in your report::

- Make sure you describe exactly what happens before/during/after the issue.
- If you can reproduce it, write a step by step way of reproducing it.
- If your issue is a performance issue, explain in details what you define as such
(is it taking time when you click , is it that it seems to have a low fps ? ..)

Make also sure you indicate the following:
- which rom/version are you using ?
- which kernel are you using ?
- did you follow the exact procedure listed above for flashing ?
- did you restore any of your applications / settings ?

Run these commands in a terminal:
su -
busybox top -n1 > /sdcard/top
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg
logcat -d > /sdcard/lc
include the resulting files: /sdcard/top & /sdcard/dmesg & /sdcard/lc in your post

Thanks that will help to debug and save me a lot of time if I get correct reports ;)

Last edited:

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
This looks pretty cool and is definitely appreciated. But I have to admit I'm more interested in this from a developer point of view than downloading your ZIP :)

Is this something which is viable to build yourself or integrate into your own Android-build?

From what I can tell from the source, this is an additional overlay which you apply to your device-tree. Is that correct? Or is it just a hot-patched / copied over the Android-repo after it's synced?

Or am I completely missing the big picture? Any feedback appreciated :)

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
I managed to work around the trippy flashing screen and overlay system bar, but I'm not able to select the menu button in TiBu whether I'm using Cornerstone or not.

Also I appear to have the weird no desktop image bug from the recent EOS build.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
This looks pretty cool and is definitely appreciated. But I have to admit I'm more interested in this from a developer point of view than downloading your ZIP :)

Is this something which is viable to build yourself or integrate into your own Android-build?
The thing with the cornerstone code is that it's heavily modifying the android framework / window manager.
So you get an extra spaghetti layer on top of the existing android window manager spaghetti code ;)
So it's not the easiest to maintain as you'll need to update back & forth and merge the regular rom changes all the time.

From what I can tell from the source, this is an additional overlay which you apply to your device-tree. Is that correct? Or is it just a hot-patched / copied over the Android-repo after it's synced?
It's file replacements/patching mostly in frameworks/base
which is quite busy and where most roms modifications already are unfortunately ;)
Then you have the multi panel interface that is in separate packages, so at least that last part is easy to add on top.

But yeah, I'm still pondering how to release the code currently, as it's merged into EOS4 framework/base basically.
Doing file overwriting replacements like posted originally on the cornerstone git won't work well for other roms, these had to be adapted for 4.2.2 & EOS specific code.
I think the less painful might be to just post the new forked framework/base for EOS4.
Have to see...

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I managed to work around the trippy flashing screen and overlay system bar, but I'm not able to select the menu button in TiBu whether I'm using Cornerstone or not.
What's Tibu ?
And do you mean you can't select the button because it's under the status bar at top ?
If it's too high that can definitely happen, until I've fixed that issue listed in post #2 :)

Did you try hitting the menu button on the dock or with LMT ?

Also I appear to have the weird no desktop image bug from the recent EOS build.
Yeah the new code doesn't seem to like cornerstone.
It should be fine if you use another launcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessyMarv

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
What's Tibu ?
And do you mean you can't select the button because it's under the status bar at top ?
If it's too high that can definitely happen, until I've fixed that issue listed in post #2 :)

Did you try hitting the menu button on the dock or with LMT ?

Yeah the new code doesn't seem to like cornerstone.
It should be fine if you use another launcher.

Titanium Backup as guessed ^ up there.

It's weird, because I can see the button, I can click on the button, the button even highlights to show the click, but nothing happens.

The wallpaper thing isn't really an issue since as you said I can just use another launcher once I can get my backups working. :)

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Titanium Backup as guessed ^ up there.

It's weird, because I can see the button, I can click on the button, the button even highlights to show the click, but nothing happens.

The wallpaper thing isn't really an issue since as you said I can just use another launcher once I can get my backups working. :)

Hmm, yeah that's weird I can reproduce that too, not sure what Titanium backup menu doesn't like...
The other buttons seems to works fine, like the scenario one next to it.
For the moment if you need to change something that is reached with the menu button, I'd advise to flash the regular EOS4 back, change the setting there,
flash back this rom, and only wipe /cache + dalvik-cache without doing a full wipe as to keep the settings / apps ;)
Overall you should be able to "dirty-flash" this rom on top of EOS4, that should save time too. :)

Last edited:

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
Well I moved my backups onto the internal sdcard as a lazy fix, but now when I try to restore them in the batch action menu, none of the buttons there work either.

kokabunga

Nov 2, 2009
Re: [ROM][JB 4.2.2] [WIP] Katnerstone Hybrid - MultiWindow Panels (Cornerstone)

Tim, you will always surprise me. I'm lucky to share the same device like yours...
If not your work, i would have already spend another 600$ to get another device...
But in my opinion, tf101 bas no challengers because of guys like you. Sincere

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 avec Tapatalk

bloodge1

Aug 1, 2010
Re: [ROM][JB 4.2.2] [WIP] Katnerstone Hybrid - MultiWindow Panels (Cornerstone)

Thanks so much for taking on this exciting project. So far, cornerstone doesn't minimize. It animates like its going to, but then doesn't. The screen cuts off the top of everything whether or not cornerstone is used. And I get flickering whenever I'm suppose to choose how to open a file. The dialog box flickers and its almost impossible to tap the box to make a selection. Also, hiding system bars doesn't work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks so much for taking on this exciting project. So far, cornerstone doesn't minimize. It animates like its going to, but then doesn't. The screen cut off the top of everything whether or not cornerstone is used. I attached a screenshot of this. And I get flickering whenever I'm suppose to choose how to open a file. The dialog box flickers and its almost impossible to tap the box to make a selection.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
What do you call minimize, Collapsing the 2 small panels to the right ?
It works for me, but just not all the time, When it doesn't you just need to hit the collapse / expand button again and it should work.
Read post #2 first, as it's indicated there already along with the other stuff you report.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Go on.....tell me more :)
On your latest B175 from the other day - are you saying that should be able to flash this straight over it? (after backing up of course)

(if any issues do you think I can dirty flash back)

Yeah should work fine.
Just flash on top and wipe /cache + dalvik-cache should be enough for these versions.

Reactions: gav2fc

stcanard

Jan 10, 2012
What to do ... I was just thinking yesterday about how beautifully stable and useful my TF101 was and now this comes out. I must resist, must use my system for a while first.

Ahh, to heck with it. nandroid backup & flash this to try it is :)

[edit so I don't spam the thread]

Wow, just wow. I had wondered if it would be a novelty running windows on a small screen, but no - it took me no time flat to see how useful this could be.

Tim, you have definitely outdone yourself - I'll do my best to run it as a day-to-day build to report anything I can see. So far I see nothing that would prevent me from doing that!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    Katnerstone Hybrid Rom
    attachment.php

JellyBean 4.2.2
    MultiWindow Panels - EOS4 & Cornerstone based
    KatKernel & KatBoost included

Hi everyone :)
    Here's the first rom including my Cornerstone port to Jellybean 4.2.2 :)
    Quite a few have been impatient to get it, and as TeamEOS prefers not to have an official Cornerstone build at the moment,
    I'm taking it into its dedicated thread, so that you can get a first taste, and it should help the traffic in the original EOS4 thread that way too.

Keep in mind that it's still a Work in progress, don't try it unless you're ready to play with a few bugs and workarounds for the moment.
    Make sure you read post#2 to see the already known issues & workarounds

attachment.php

DOWNLOADS:
    • ROM: Katnerstone-4.2.2_V033.zip
    • FSYNC is off by default in the rom, if you prefer it on just flash this after the rom: fsync_on.zip
    • Latest Gapps Package: 4.2.2 Gapps for TF101
    • Older 4.2.1 Eos Gapps for TF101
      If you prefer to have the Swipe feature in the default Keyboard you can use this version, but the Keyboard will crash on auto-correction
      If you use this version, make sure you go the keyboard settings and change these settings:
      + Auto-correction off
      + Show correction suggestions:always hide

What's Cornerstone ?
    Cornerstone is a code modification to the window manager & graphic layers that allows you to run 3 apps together on the same screen in different panels.
    You can also run without the 3 panels (so that it is the same than running a regular rom), start or stop the multi panel interface at any time,
    the side panels can also be collapsed or expanded at run time.
    For more information see their website: http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

Features:
    Feature wise you get all the EOS4 features + Cornerstone on top.
    See respective links for details.

Installation Notes:
    As with any JB4.2.2 roms you need a recent recovery to flash it. The latest TWRP is advised.

Going to Katnerstone4.2.2 from a rom < 4.2.2:
    • Backup everything !
    • Go to recovery
    • Make a full wipe / factory reset
    • format /system
    • Flash the rom
    • Flash optional kernel
    • Flash gapps
    • Wipe cache/dalvik
    • Reboot
    Updating from Katnerstone 4.2.2 #VXXX to #VYYY:
    You can usually skip the full wipe step.
    If ever you encounter an issue make sure you make a full wipe first before reporting though.

Main Goals:
    Well of course the ultimate goal will be to eat all the bugs ;)
    I'll go by priorities:
    - Fix the few bugs introduced when not running in 3 panels mode.
    That way we can basically use it as a daily rom, and then decide to activate the panels or not as needed.
    - Fix the cornerstone specific bugs.
    - Improve the rom and cornerstone features.

Issues & Workarounds:
    Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress, and I'll try to improve it as time permit.
    Cornerstone is not released for Jellybean 4.2.2, so it required quite a few adjustments, and there are still bugs,
    some introduced by the 4.2.2 version, and some that are still there since the 1st cornerstone version for ICS.

See post #2 for more details & how to report

Disclaimer: The usual
    The rom is provided as is.
    Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
    In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

Changelog: -
    Sources: https://github.com/timduru/

Credits:
    - TeamEOS for the original EOS4 rom
    - Onskreen for the original cornerstone code
    Additional info & links

Known Issues & Tips:

Multi-panel interface specific:
    • When collapsing the small panels, part of the apps will stay on top of the cornerstone interface.
      => just ignore, you can still hit the collapse/expand button in between the apps
    • Collapsing and expanding might not position the cornerstone "vertical bar" correctly sometime
      => just hit the collapse/expand button a couple of times and it'll reposition correctly.

Without running the multi-panel interface:
    • The default browser's is displaying the first page even if you choose another page
      => Start the cornerstone panels and try again.
    • Launcher seems to get killed everytime you hit the home button.
      => It doesn't do it if you run the panels.
    • Recent apps window might rotate wrongly.
    • Top most dialogs will get crazy and flash (dialogs asking you for default apps and so on)
      => you can still click on the choices if you're fast
      => hitting the home button or another recent app will get you out of the "loop"
      => running with the multipanel interface is not having this issue, so you can start the multipanel temporarily the time you can pick the choice in the topmost dialog.

General:
    • The cornerstone code might stop services randomly, this bug is there since the first release of Cornerstone unfortunately, so it might not be easy to fix.
      Annoying side effects: everything that relies on a service that has been killed might not work properly (clock will not update, some of the EOSCC changes won't work, and so on...)
    • The original code is made for TabletUI, so it's not aware of of the statusbar on top, because of that the apps and cornerstone interface is "layered under the status bar currently.
      => For the top cornerstone panel you can still reach the top right button to choose the app running in the panel, even if you can't see the icon just click there.
    • Not all apps are compatible with the cornerstone code
    • Desktop wallpaper might not display with default laucher
      => use another launcher

EOS4 & JB Specific:
    GPS:
    if it is taking a long time to get a lock or no lock, follow this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38368206&postcount=2452

Google search:
    If the version you're using is crashing when you open Google Now,
    go to Settings => Language & Input => Voice Search , then uncheck Hotword Detection.

Other Tips

How to report:

Things to check before reporting:
    - If it's a general question or if it is not specific to this rom ask in the Q&A section
    - make sure you have read all the tips and searched on the forum before reporting an issue.
    - try to reproduce your issue right after flashing and before restoring anything
    - wait that the cpu usage is down to close to 0% for a few seconds before proceeding with testing.
    - Check that it is not already listed in the known issues.

Reports about performances issues:
    Keep in mind that coming from a full wipe / factory reset, there are a few cpu and disk io tasks that are going to happen:
    - Mediascanner service is going to rescan all your medias, which can take from a few minutes to a few hours or days if you have many
    - Google will restore / sync things.
    So make sure that it is finished and that some app is not eating the cpu or disk io before reporting.

What to send in your report::

- Make sure you describe exactly what happens before/during/after the issue.
    - If you can reproduce it, write a step by step way of reproducing it.
    - If your issue is a performance issue, explain in details what you define as such
    (is it taking time when you click , is it that it seems to have a low fps ? ..)

Make also sure you indicate the following:
    - which rom/version are you using ?
    - which kernel are you using ?
    - did you follow the exact procedure listed above for flashing ?
    - did you restore any of your applications / settings ?

Run these commands in a terminal:
    su -
    busybox top -n1 > /sdcard/top
    dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg
    logcat -d > /sdcard/lc
    include the resulting files: /sdcard/top & /sdcard/dmesg & /sdcard/lc in your post

Thanks that will help to debug and save me a lot of time if I get correct reports ;)
    New version #033

attachment.php
    New version #033 uploaded
    No major changes on the cornerstone side.
    This update is mostly here to bring it up to date with the changes in EOS4 & KatKernel 103
    And with the latest version you can also switch back to TabletUI which should make the cornerstone layout a bit happier too ;)
    (might require to reboot after you change the value into EOSControlCenter for TabletUI to kick in.)
    See if it helps some of the previous issues & such.
    I am very tempted to try this. I've tried earlier versions of cornerstone and although they were buggy I found the features invaluable. I still don't understand why Google would resist something like this. Anyways, thread has been silent for a few days, so I have to ask - TimDuru, how often are you planning on updating the ROM?

I know it's a work in progress and I thank you for all your work on this and EOS4!

It'll take some time to fix the bugs, if ever I can fix them.
    So yeah still WIP ;)
    From there, I'll update it if there is something to update, can see about adding more features and such.