[Q] Relock to send back to Verizon

Search This thread

eman7131

Mar 29, 2014
Hello, just a quick question. I had my One rooted, s-off, and unlocked when my microphone went. So I relocked, s-on, and flashed an RUU via http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2475216. Just making sure that before I pack it in the box, there is nothing else that could trip the people at Verizon that I had messed with my phone. I took the OTAs up to 4.3. I'm just paranoid about info not matching up such as the baseband version and build number etc. Thanks

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Does the bootloader say locked or relocked? Locked is good relocked not so much. Other than that you should be fine. Ruu's wipe everything and install it all fresh, including the firmware (baseband, hboot, recovery, etc), so everything will match up.

eman7131

Mar 29, 2014
In the bootloader I have "Locked" also s-on. I noticed though with the refurbished phone I received (not happy about having to get refurbished but thats besides the point) the CID number shows in the bootloader screen whereas on my original phone it is not displayed. Not sure if I even need to be this worried, but I'm just paranoid. Thanks

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Are both phones on the same hboot version? I dont remember if it showed in older hboots or not. Either way i wouldn't worry, locked and s-on is all you need.

d0m_

Jan 10, 2012
Knoxville
If i send my phone back to verizon do i have to be on the original ROM? i understand that i need to lock my bootloader and have s-on, but what about the software itself?

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Just to confirm, if I have a phone that is S-OFF, unlocked:

1. Do I need to lock the bootloader before flashing an RUU?

2. Does flashing an RUU revert the phone to S-ON?

3. Does anything special otherwise need to be done to the phone prior to flashing the RUU?

Thanks so much in advance.

I also have to return a phone to VZW due to a hardware issue (the autofocus issue finally too much for me to bear).

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
You only need to relock the bootloader if using a signed ruu. A decrypted ruu does not need it locked.

Flashing an ruu will not remove s-off or relock the bootloader. You can do it before or after, but i sugest after, that way if something goes wrong durring the ruu, you still have options.

Once you do the ruu you will be stock. So the only thing you would have to do is relock and go s-on.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Fantastically clear, Clumsco, thanks! Three quick additional questions

1. is there any advantage to flashing the signed RUU, and adding danger by locking the bootloader beforehand? In your links below your signature is a path to both decrypted and signed versions of the latest RUUs. So I thought to ask before going with one or the other. If there is no advantage then I guess the decrypted version would be the safer bet, right?

2. Is there a danger that locking after the RUU will result in a "relocked" versus the desired "Locked" status?

3. Will the RUU flash wipe my /sdcard area? If so I'll back everything up before embarking on this.

I VERY much appreciate the help. I ran rumrunner several months back and have forgotten a lot of the nuances. Thanks for the quick primer!

You only need to relock the bootloader if using a signed ruu. A decrypted ruu does not need it locked.

Flashing an ruu will not remove s-off or relock the bootloader. You can do it before or after, but i sugest after, that way if something goes wrong durring the ruu, you still have options.

Once you do the ruu you will be stock. So the only thing you would have to do is relock and go s-on.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
There is no difference between a signed and decrypted ruu other than what their names suggest. Ones signed ones not, both do the exact same thing to the phone.

You can lock the bootloader first. As long as you still have s-off, you have a saftey net. As long as your s-off you can change it to say what ever you want it to say. Locked, relocked, or unlocked.

Yes the ruu will wipe everything.

You will want to back up your sd.
Do the ruu.
Take the ota to kitkat.
Lock the bootloader.
Go s-on.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks, everything worked. For future knowledge, can you flash signed RUU's with an S-ON device?

There is no difference between a signed and decrypted ruu other than what their names suggest. Ones signed ones not, both do the exact same thing to the phone.

You can lock the bootloader first. As long as you still have s-off, you have a saftey net. As long as your s-off you can change it to say what ever you want it to say. Locked, relocked, or unlocked.

Do the ruu.
Take the ota to kitkat.
Lock the bootloader.
Go s-on.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Yes and no. You can flash a signed ruu if s-on, but not one that is an older version than currently on the phone. It has to be the same or a newer version. This is an issue if your on kitkat, as we do not currently have a kk ruu available.

eman7131

Mar 29, 2014
Yes and no. You can flash a signed ruu if s-on, but not one that is an older version than currently on the phone. It has to be the same or a newer version. This is an issue if your on kitkat, as we do not currently have a kk ruu available.

I'm trying to learn here too, that is dependent on the hboot correct? So if you were to downgrade your hboot via the thread somewhere in the VZW HTC One forum, you should be able to flash any RUU right?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Technically yes, although as far as i know there is no way to do so while s-on and locked. In order to downgrade hboot you would need to have the bootloader unlocked. Since verizon does not let us use htcdev to unlock, it would be virtually imposible.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Your responses are clear and helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Technically yes, although as far as i know there is no way to do so while s-on and locked. In order to downgrade hboot you would need to have the bootloader unlocked. Since verizon does not let us use htcdev to unlock, it would be virtually imposible.

NELORAO

Dec 10, 2007
Oregon

Do the ruu.
Take the ota to kitkat.
Lock the bootloader.
Go s-on.

My phone is current S-Off and relocked, how can I change it to unlocked?

Thank you.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470340

Last edited: