Crowd funded ROM development

Search This thread

Robert_it

Mar 17, 2009
Trescore Balneario (IT)
Crowd funded ROM development...

Now here is a thought.. Sure I am not the first one, but here is a suggestion and description of what I believe to be a brilliant idea.

I have bought quite a few Chinese devises for me and my family, and it has been a little hit and miss when it comes to usability on some of these devises. I have always gone for what I believed at the time to be best value for money products considering whom to buy to and what it is going to be used for.
The thing is if you do a lot of research and end up buying a phone with brilliant hardware but a ****ty Chinese ROM your in trouble. Sometimes you get lucky and find a third party custom ROM and if you are REALLY lucky there will be a ”latest and greatest” CM or Paranoid ROM available and then you are really flying. Most of the Chinese devises I have bought have actually been OK in assembly quality but all of them have been pretty useless as daily phones / tablets with the OEM software filled with Chinese bloat-ware and worse.

Recently I bought my own personal Tablet ( previously bought some for my kids) and I bought the ONDA V975M which have absolutely brilliant specifications but a useless and stuttering / freezing ROM. I have searched the web only to find several Fora all hunting for the same thing. I found Russian,French,Dutch speaking Fora as well with the same questions.... Where to Root and where to obtain better ROM's.....

To me we all need a kind of crowd-funded way of requesting new ROM's. My thought goes towards the APP selling market where somebody have a idea for an APP but no programming skills and then post the idea on sites like Sellandapp.com or Fundedapps.com. This is how I think it should work:

If I want a ROM for a device I would go to this new ”Request a ROM-Site” and request a ROM, I will have to give as many details as possible on the hardware, and then I would commit myself to a certain amount of my choice (any amount can start the request) if others is willing to commit to pay for the ROM they submit a commitment form on the site. The commitment will have to be binding. If enough people is doing this the money goes up to a sum that might attract a developer whom will take the task at hand. When a developer commits to develop a ROM the Money is ”frozen” to him for a period of time (2 weeks / a month?) and when he submits the ROM he will be paid a third of the sum in the ”pot” for that request. After a month he will get another third but only if there has not been more than 20% complaints on his ROM (will encourage him/her to correct bugs) and again if there is less than 10-15% complaints after 2 month he will be paid the rest.

If there is too many bugs in the initial ROM and they are NOT corrected the now reduced ”pot” can go to a new developer whom might easily correct the first one?

All ROM's have to be open source naturally. The developer has to accept that the work he does is paid for and there is NO royalties after...

I am present a member in 3 Android Fora and I constantly see the same names popping up, so I am sure there is a lot like me who is in several different Fora, it would be great if there would be some administrators who could put this idea into the right place and maybe duplicate it to others. My point is that in this matter there is only an advantage to spread the message as far as possible, over as many Fora as possible.

I would prefer this to become a non-profit site with reference to ALL the different Fora out there but if somebody wants to make this into a business I am OK with this, I hope if they become successful they will remember me and pay a small contribution towards the idea.
I can be found on XDA and Slatedroid as user-name: Robert_it
There will always be a risk of some low life with a shattered moral trying to steal the ”pot” but if we keep it simple and trust each other I believe this would work.
I do not have the skills nor the time to start this project but I would like to start this by offering my idea's and I would be the first to commit to $15-$20 for a smooth performance ROM for the before mentioned ONDA tablet...

If I am not violating the forum rules I would like this post to be Sticky in the right place and to be copy/pasted into as many Fora in as many languages as possible. Anybody out there up for a task like this?

Here is a little side-note: I did for some time ago try to get some info of a Chinese vendor only to be turned down, I see again and again people / developers requesting software / drivers for devices, the Chinese have a culture where they steal with arms and legs from everybody and yet there are scared for anybody gaining access to there already poor software. Just imagine if a Chinese company took the chance and released ALL drivers and hardware specifications to the gurus at CyanogenMod and asked for help to create a fully working multilingual ROM for a top but cheap device?? Now would the risk of another Chinese factory copying this device be bigger than the hype, rave and huge sales-numbers such a device would create... Think about it, if we could buy a $250 Octa-core high resolution, dual sim phone with all the latest hardware AND get CyanogenMod 11 on it as well??

And YES I know the quality is not the same as a true branded phone, my Nexus-5 is lovely but I use more that one phone on a daily basis and having a “cheap” powerhouse is fun :) and some of these Chinese phones is actually not bad at all...

Hope I have not offended anybody or broken any forum rules, I will post this both on SlateDroid and XDA as this is where I can, again feel free to copy and paste into other Fora.

Robert

CoopZor

Aug 12, 2009
Bilzen
Count me in for 10$ for the onda tablet.
Can you post a link to the onda threat ? So people can read in to it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn V975m Core4 met Tapatalk

Paprika69

Feb 18, 2014
Yes that's a really great idea ! +1
We are a french community who are hoping that a developer wants to work on a custom ROM ! That could be awesome for this amazing tablet. Thanks for this post :)

Last edited:

ilhanbiz

Jan 29, 2009
Great idea,

I've proposed the same thing in a french forum.
I can also 10-20$ donate for the dev.

Regards,

CoopZor

Aug 12, 2009
Bilzen
Okay maybe we will have enough to sponsor a tablet to a willing Def.
Does anybody know a Def who is willing to do so?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Find 5 met Tapatalk

serotonien

Jun 12, 2012
And custom Rom with even with errors for the v975m i give 10 Euro , count me in, my PayPal account is waitin

Sent from my V975m Core4 using Tapatalk

CoopZor

Aug 12, 2009
Bilzen
I asked a Developer and he asked me if we had kernel source.
Is onda willing to give this? Do they even have email?

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro

Now here is a thought.. Sure I am not the first one, but here is a suggestion and description of what I believe to be a brilliant idea.

I have bought quite a few Chinese devises for me and my family, and it has been a little hit and miss when it comes to usability on some of these devises. I have always gone for what I believed at the time to be best value for money products considering whom to buy to and what it is going to be used for.
The thing is if you do a lot of research and end up buying a phone with brilliant hardware but a ****ty Chinese ROM your in trouble. Sometimes you get lucky and find a third party custom ROM and if you are REALLY lucky there will be a ”latest and greatest” CM or Paranoid ROM available and then you are really flying. Most of the Chinese devises I have bought have actually been OK in assembly quality but all of them have been pretty useless as daily phones / tablets with the OEM software filled with Chinese bloat-ware and worse.

Recently I bought my own personal Tablet ( previously bought some for my kids) and I bought the ONDA V975M which have absolutely brilliant specifications but a useless and stuttering / freezing ROM. I have searched the web only to find several Fora all hunting for the same thing. I found Russian,French,Dutch speaking Fora as well with the same questions.... Where to Root and where to obtain better ROM's.....

To me we all need a kind of crowd-funded way of requesting new ROM's. My thought goes towards the APP selling market where somebody have a idea for an APP but no programming skills and then post the idea on sites like Sellandapp.com or Fundedapps.com. This is how I think it should work:

If I want a ROM for a device I would go to this new ”Request a ROM-Site” and request a ROM, I will have to give as many details as possible on the hardware, and then I would commit myself to a certain amount of my choice (any amount can start the request) if others is willing to commit to pay for the ROM they submit a commitment form on the site. The commitment will have to be binding. If enough people is doing this the money goes up to a sum that might attract a developer whom will take the task at hand. When a developer commits to develop a ROM the Money is ”frozen” to him for a period of time (2 weeks / a month?) and when he submits the ROM he will be paid a third of the sum in the ”pot” for that request. After a month he will get another third but only if there has not been more than 20% complaints on his ROM (will encourage him/her to correct bugs) and again if there is less than 10-15% complaints after 2 month he will be paid the rest.

If there is too many bugs in the initial ROM and they are NOT corrected the now reduced ”pot” can go to a new developer whom might easily correct the first one?

All ROM's have to be open source naturally. The developer has to accept that the work he does is paid for and there is NO royalties after...

I am present a member in 3 Android Fora and I constantly see the same names popping up, so I am sure there is a lot like me who is in several different Fora, it would be great if there would be some administrators who could put this idea into the right place and maybe duplicate it to others. My point is that in this matter there is only an advantage to spread the message as far as possible, over as many Fora as possible.

I would prefer this to become a non-profit site with reference to ALL the different Fora out there but if somebody wants to make this into a business I am OK with this, I hope if they become successful they will remember me and pay a small contribution towards the idea.
There will always be a risk of some low life with a shattered moral trying to steal the ”pot” but if we keep it simple and trust each other I believe this would work.
I do not have the skills nor the time to start this project but I would like to start this by offering my idea's and I would be the first to commit to $15-$20 for a smooth performance ROM for the before mentioned ONDA tablet...

If I am not violating the forum rules I would like this post to be Sticky in the right place and to be copy/pasted into as many Fora in as many languages as possible. Anybody out there up for a task like this?

Here is a little side-note: I did for some time ago try to get some info of a Chinese vendor only to be turned down, I see again and again people / developers requesting software / drivers for devices, the Chinese have a culture where they steal with arms and legs from everybody and yet there are scared for anybody gaining access to there already poor software. Just imagine if a Chinese company took the chance and released ALL drivers and hardware specifications to the gurus at CyanogenMod and asked for help to create a fully working multilingual ROM for a top but cheap device?? Now would the risk of another Chinese factory copying this device be bigger than the hype, rave and huge sales-numbers such a device would create... Think about it, if we could buy a $250 Octa-core high resolution, dual sim phone with all the latest hardware AND get CyanogenMod 11 on it as well??

And YES I know the quality is not the same as a true branded phone, my Nexus-5 is lovely but I use more that one phone on a daily basis and having a “cheap” powerhouse is fun :) and some of these Chinese phones is actually not bad at all...

Hope I have not offended anybody or broken any forum rules, I will post this both on SlateDroid and XDA as this is where I can, again feel free to copy and paste into other Fora.

Robert

I think this is a really interesting idea and it could be something XDA could create. A few questions:

1. How much funding is enough to convince a developer to make a ROM for a given device? Is it $200? $1000? Also, you have to consider that the developer would need to purchase the tablet.

2. How would we avoid there being a big number of tablets that don't get enough funding to attract a developer? There are dozens and dozens of devices that you mean (great hardware, but terrible software), and it wouldn't be ideal if there were 2, 3, or 4 devices that have ample funding, but 25 devices that have just $20 committed.

Reactions: GuneetAtwal

Arqtico

Jan 28, 2013
I asked a Developer and he asked me if we had kernel source.
Is onda willing to give this? Do they even have email?

May be this

Souce code: android 4.4 kit kat from Amlogic
openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Tablet/4.4_ReleaseInfo

(Sorry, I can not post urls yet)

GuneetAtwal

Oct 6, 2012
Mohali
OnePlus 7T
Well i liked this Idea moreover i am very familiar with chinese Phones as myself i own 2 Karbonn Phones which are rebranded Chinese phones and i have developed lots of ROMs for them i can certainly make ROMs on requests in mass only if i get enough money to get that device
But i will be free only after my exams i.e. after march then i can be a part of this idea :)

Reactions: CoopZor

CoopZor

Aug 12, 2009
Bilzen
Well i liked this Idea moreover i am very familiar with chinese Phones as myself i own 2 Karbonn Phones which are rebranded Chinese phones and i have developed lots of ROMs for them i can certainly make ROMs on requests in mass only if i get enough money to get that device
But i will be free only after my exams i.e. after march then i can be a part of this idea :)

Do you need kernel code for that?

Reactions: GuneetAtwal

GuneetAtwal

Oct 6, 2012
Mohali
OnePlus 7T

Well most of the Chinese devices have mediatek chipset and they don't release kernel sources for their devices and I make custom ROMs from stock ROM only and try to add as much features as possible with stability and better battery backup :)

Moreover I can easily port most famous ROMs like MIUI , LewaOS etc

yabbadabbadoo

Feb 23, 2014
Well most of the Chinese devices have mediatek chipset and they don't release kernel sources for their devices and I make custom ROMs from stock ROM only and try to add as much features as possible with stability and better battery backup :)

Moreover I can easily port most famous ROMs like MIUI , LewaOS etc

Sounds great. Count me in with 10 EUR.

And...I guess what you'd need is the AMlogic source code for the CPU right? The link above?
BTW has anyone asked for support from Christian Troy? Just wanna know before I write him a PM, because I don't want to annoy him.

Last edited:

GuneetAtwal

Oct 6, 2012
Mohali
OnePlus 7T
Sounds great. Count me in with 10 EUR.

And...I guess what you'd need is the AMlogic source code for the CPU right? The link above?
BTW has anyone asked for support from Christian Troy? Just wanna know before I write him a PM, because I don't want to annoy him.

That I will manage myself as I just want to know the hardware details etc but I will work only after the end of next month as I have exams but after exams I will be active again for ROM development ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Robert
    I'm happy to contribute 10€+ for a version of CWM and custom rom that allows tweeking the ROM.

just wait for my exams to get over and you will have what you want :)

Robert

I think this is a really interesting idea and it could be something XDA could create. A few questions:

1. How much funding is enough to convince a developer to make a ROM for a given device? Is it $200? $1000? Also, you have to consider that the developer would need to purchase the tablet.

2. How would we avoid there being a big number of tablets that don't get enough funding to attract a developer? There are dozens and dozens of devices that you mean (great hardware, but terrible software), and it wouldn't be ideal if there were 2, 3, or 4 devices that have ample funding, but 25 devices that have just $20 committed.