[Q] Accidently closed TWRP

Search This thread

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
Hi guys, I will try and explain this as simple as possible.

I as trying to install cyanogenmod 11 on my phone, and everything seemed to go alright until I made a mistake. I used TWRP to first backup my stock rom on the phone, and then when I was supposed to reboot into the app, I accidently rebooted the phone.

Now the problem is that the phone does not have any OS installed, so what is happening is that it's trying to boot into an OS that's not there, and instead ends up being stuck on the Samsung logo. I can enter Odin mode just fine, but for the love of god I cannot seem to figure how to get back into the TWRP application, or if it is even possible.

I do have the backup of the ROM stored on my SD card, and I've now moved it over to my PC, but it still does not seem to help me in any way. I've trid to launch the Odin3 program on my pc, in an attempt to to try and launch in TWRP through that, but it has all been without any success, so now I come to this board of guinesses, asking for help!

As an added bit of information, this was my first time trying to install a custom rom, so yeah.. Puff..

- The lost Dane.

- Edit -

I tried to "flash" by doing what this link said, in the hopes that my phone would boot into the program, but alas, it only booted back to the logan saying "samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005" :/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30694404

-- Edit Edit --

To make it super clear ... If I could get back into TWRP, I would be able to run my backup. I know how that app works, I just simply cannot get back into, and I do not know if it is even possible. I've searched and tried various guides to "flash TWRP through Odin" but it has all been without any success... :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rosli59564

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013

I as trying to install cyanogenmod 11 on my phone, and everything seemed to go alright until I made a mistake. I used TWRP to first backup my stock rom on the phone, and then when I was supposed to reboot into the app, I accidently rebooted the phone.

Now the problem is that the phone does not have any OS installed, so what is happening is that it's trying to boot into an OS that's not there, and instead ends up being stuck on the Samsung logo. I can enter Odin mode just fine, but for the love of god I cannot seem to figure how to get back into the TWRP application, or if it is even possible.

I do have the backup of the ROM stored on my SD card, and I've now moved it over to my PC, but it still does not seem to help me in any way. I've trid to launch the Odin3 program on my pc, in an attempt to to try and launch in TWRP through that, but it has all been without any success, so now I come to this board of guinesses, asking for help!

As an added bit of information, this was my first time trying to install a custom rom, so yeah.. Puff..

- The lost Dane.

- Edit -

I tried to "flash" by doing what this link said, in the hopes that my phone would boot into the program, but alas, it only booted back to the logan saying "samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005" :/

-- Edit Edit --

To make it super clear ... If I could get back into TWRP, I would be able to run my backup. I know how that app works, I just simply cannot get back into, and I do not know if it is even possible. I've searched and tried various guides to "flash TWRP through Odin" but it has all been without any success... :/

Did you hold volume up+home+power button to get into recovery mode?
In case your twrp get corrupted due to flashing failure previously
1. Download twrp from the following. 2.6.3.7 if you were running 4.3 or 2.6.3.8 if you were running 4.4.2(not sure if 2
6.3.8 is 4.3 compatible). For odin flashable use the one with .tar
http://www.techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hlte
2. Get into download mode(vol down+home+power)
3. Link the downloaded .tar to pda in odin. Odin log should show 'added' once you connect phone to pc
4. Start the process. Once finish phone should boot into recovery automatically but it'll try to boot back into OS. Just hold vol up+home+power button to get back into recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: Thaelern

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
You are an absolute god. I wish I could show my appreciation, but I fear words isn't even enough to even begin.. :) I managed to get into TWRP now, though my backup rom doesn't show up anymore, but I suppose that's because I run a different version of TWRP than I did first? Idk, but really appreciate that you were able to get me back into TWRP. :)

Reactions: Rosli59564

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
You are an absolute god. I wish I could show my appreciation, but I fear words isn't even enough to even begin.. :) I managed to get into TWRP now, though my backup rom doesn't show up anymore, but I suppose that's because I run a different version of TWRP than I did first? Idk, but really appreciate that you were able to get me back into TWRP. :)

Yes if you know your previous twrp version than you can restore your old rom backup

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Right you need your previous twrp version to use the backup

Hehe you can actually press the thanks button

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
Yes if you know your previous twrp version than you can restore your old rom backup

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

I really do appreciate the help you've given, but I have one final request, and I really do hope it isn't too much to ask. Say I am unable to find the same version of TWRP, I will have to actually flash cyanogenmod onto my device. I don't think it should be too tough now that I've managed to launch into TWRP, because now I should be able to just put the rom on my SD card, and then install the files, no? :)

if it helps you, my device is SM-N9005, and I had 4.3 when I started this whole thing. Cheers!

- Edit.

I tried to download the Nighty build from CyanogenMod's own homepage, but when I try and install it, it says failed, giving me an erro that says "This package is for "hlexx" devices: This is a." That's all it says ... Hmfh. Sooooooooo... Yes! I'm in recovery mode now, but without any rom. :/

Last edited:

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
I really do appreciate the help you've given, but I have one final request, and I really do hope it isn't too much to ask. Say I am unable to find the same version of TWRP, I will have to actually flash cyanogenmod onto my device. I don't think it should be too tough now that I've managed to launch into TWRP, because now I should be able to just put the rom on my SD card, and then install the files, no? :)

if it helps you, my device is SM-N9005, and I had 4.3 when I started this whole thing. Cheers!

- Edit.

I tried to download the Nighty build from CyanogenMod's own homepage, but when I try and install it, it says failed, giving me an erro that says "This package is for "hlexx" devices: This is a." That's all it says ... Hmfh. Sooooooooo... Yes! I'm in recovery mode now, but without any rom. :/

Yes you can flash any cm based rom.
You can also flash any stock rom such as SweetRom/X-Note/BobCat as most developers still keeping 4.3 rom in their thread.

blackknightavalon

Feb 1, 2009
Somewhere in NYC

- Edit.

Try this link: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=hlte

Sent from my toaster

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
Will that work on the international version of the Note 3 ? I'm starting to believe that's the whole culprint of why I can't get it to work. :/

Believe so. It's because of updater script i guess as described in the link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600648&page=2
Try flashing chenglu's 6.0.4.5 recovery.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2454079
Just the same as you did for twrp. I think i read somewhere that changing recovery helped some people.
The worst just download sweetrom/x-note/bobcatrom or any stock 4.3 based rom if you deperately need the phone to boot up

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
Just the same as you did for twrp. I think i read somewhere that changing recovery helped some people.
The worst just download sweetrom/x-note/bobcatrom or any stock 4.3 based rom if you deperately need the phone to boot up

So after having spent the better half of the night, I actually managed to get my phone to boot into cyanogenmod 11 ! But that joy was shortlived when I came to realize that wi-fi wasn't working, and I couldn't get it to work. I tried to factory reset as I had read would help, but alas it did no good. I figured I should try and run back a stock 4.4.2 rom and just be done with it, but that was when I realized I had lost my root (?!) so that wasn't really a possibility either, next I set out to try and find a way to root my phone now running cyanogenmod 11. I found a file here on XDA called "CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar" but whenever I try and flash that onto my phone, my phone just stays stuck saying "trying to enter into recovery mode" and does not really go anywhere from there. I can get back into recovery mode if I flash "n9005-cwm-recovery-6.0.4.5(1116)" onto the phone, like you said, but that still leaves me without root access, which I need to throw a rom onto my device?! Arrrgh, this is getting silly, I just wish I could go back to my backup/ default rom on the device, but I can't. :(

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
So after having spent the better half of the night, I actually managed to get my phone to boot into cyanogenmod 11 ! But that joy was shortlived when I came to realize that wi-fi wasn't working, and I couldn't get it to work. I tried to factory reset as I had read would help, but alas it did no good. I figured I should try and run back a stock 4.4.2 rom and just be done with it, but that was when I realized I had lost my root (?!) so that wasn't really a possibility either, next I set out to try and find a way to root my phone now running cyanogenmod 11. I found a file here on XDA called "CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar" but whenever I try and flash that onto my phone, my phone just stays stuck saying "trying to enter into recovery mode" and does not really go anywhere from there. I can get back into recovery mode if I flash "n9005-cwm-recovery-6.0.4.5(1116)" onto the phone, like you said, but that still leaves me without root access, which I need to throw a rom onto my device?! Arrrgh, this is getting silly, I just wish I could go back to my backup/ default rom on the device, but I can't. :(

About the cf auto root make sure you flash the one for 4.3. I believe you flashed the one for 4.4.2.
Doesn't really matter whether you have root access or not as long as you can boot into custom recovery. Just flash any custom rom. It'll give you root anyway.
Still if you need root just make sure you flash cf auto root then flash twrp or chenglu recovery. Flash the one for 4.3 that's the most important

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
About the cf auto root make sure you flash the one for 4.3. I believe you flashed the one for 4.4.2.
Doesn't really matter whether you have root access or not as long as you can boot into custom recovery. Just flash any custom rom. It'll give you root anyway.
Still if you need root just make sure you flash cf auto root then flash twrp or chenglu recovery. Flash the one for 4.3 that's the most important

But when I have cyanogenmod 11 installed, is that then not 4.4.2 ? I suppose that's what's giving me trouble... I'll try and see if I can find the cf auto root for 4.3 and return back if I was successful or not. Again, thank you for being so patient.. :)

-Edit

This seems to be the only one I can find; http://download.chainfire.eu/352/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip

And I've already tried that one 3 times, but every time I flash it, the phone reboots and keeps trying to enter into recovery mode, and is unable to do so before I've flashed n9005-cwm-recovery-6.0.4.5(1116) again
this is what it says;
"recovery booting...
Recovery is not seandroid enforcing
Set warranty bit : Recovery "

Last edited:

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
But when I have cyanogenmod 11 installed, is that then not 4.4.2 ? I suppose that's what's giving me trouble... I'll try and see if I can find the cf auto root for 4.3 and return back if I was successful or not. Again, thank you for being so patient.. :)

-Edit

This seems to be the only one I can find; http://download.chainfire.eu/352/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip

And I've already tried that one 3 times, but every time I flash it, the phone reboots and keeps trying to enter into recovery mode, and is unable to do so before I've flashed n9005-cwm-recovery-6.0.4.5(1116) again
this is what it says;
"recovery booting...
Recovery is not seandroid enforcing
Set warranty bit : Recovery "

You flashed 4.4.2 cm rom but you're on 4.3 booloader. So you need to use cf auto root for 4.3 which is available here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2466423
read third post(download section)

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

You flashed 4.4.2 cm rom but you're on 4.3 booloader. So you need to use cf auto root for 4.3 which is available here

Just enter download mode and reflash twtp. I saw there are 4 different versions for 4.3(2.6.3.0/2 6.3.5/2.6.3.6/2.3.6.7). Flash 1 by 1 and see if it can restore your backup

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Just enter download mode and reflash twtp. I saw there are 4 different versions for 4.3(2.6.3.0/2 6.3.5/2.6.3.6/2.3.6.7). Flash 1 by 1 and see if it can restore your backup

You really are a boss with a heart of gold! I used the file you linked me, ran it, and sure enough it installed and gave me root access. Believe it or not, but I am learning from this! The whole thing about bootloader being different from the rom version was new to me. But I am up and running with root access now, so now I hope it shouldn't be too hard to get a stock rom thrown in. I've kinda given up on my backup. I no longer care for the files I had before, now I just want the phone up and running with wifi.. X_ X

- Edit

Or do you have any clue as to what is causing wifi to not work? I really don't mind the rom at all, I quite like it, but where I live wifi is mandatory as it's a lowered area with mountains around me, meaning LTE really isn't viable while at home.

Last edited:

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
You really are a boss with a heart of gold! I used the file you linked me, ran it, and sure enough it installed and gave me root access. Believe it or not, but I am learning from this! The whole thing about bootloader being different from the rom version was new to me. But I am up and running with root access now, so now I hope it shouldn't be too hard to get a stock rom thrown in. I've kinda given up on my backup. I no longer care for the files I had before, now I just want the phone up and running with wifi.. X_ X

- Edit

Or do you have any clue as to what is causing wifi to not work? I really don't mind the rom at all, I quite like it, but where I live wifi is mandatory as it's a lowered area with mountains around me, meaning LTE really isn't viable while at home.

Not sure about the wifi problem but yes you're good to go with a new rom. Make sure to choose only for 4.3 bootloader else you will run into problem later

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
Not sure about the wifi problem but yes you're good to go with a new rom. Make sure to choose only for 4.3 bootloader else you will run into problem later

Could you be so kind and to link me to a rom that works for 4.3 bootloader? I am so paranoid I'll end up picking something for 4.4.2, like I was about to do now. :S

Rosli59564

Mar 10, 2013
Could you be so kind and to link me to a rom that works for 4.3 bootloader? I am so paranoid I'll end up picking something for 4.4.2, like I was about to do now. :S

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2495688
Post 1 choose V6
Or
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2472301
Post 3
Or
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498687
Post 1 v3.0
Or
Post 2 V5
There's a lot more in developement section. Just take a look there. Most developers still providing link for 4.3

Thaelern

Mar 4, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2495688
Post 1 choose V6
Or
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2472301
Post 3
Or
Post 1 v3.0
Or
Post 2 V5
There's a lot more in developement section. Just take a look there. Most developers still providing link for 4.3

Alright.. :) Time to get things done right! So just being sure I do it alright. I pick this one; http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2498687
Download the one for 4.3 bootloader, once download I place the zip folder on my SD card
- Then boot into Recovery mode, wipe phone clean, and then install the rom directly from inside of Recovery mode?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- The lost Dane.

- Edit -

-- Edit Edit --

- The lost Dane.

- Edit -

-- Edit Edit --

Did you hold volume up+home+power button to get into recovery mode?
    In case your twrp get corrupted due to flashing failure previously
    1. Download twrp from the following. 2.6.3.7 if you were running 4.3 or 2.6.3.8 if you were running 4.4.2(not sure if 2
    6.3.8 is 4.3 compatible). For odin flashable use the one with .tar
    http://www.techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hlte
    2. Get into download mode(vol down+home+power)
    3. Link the downloaded .tar to pda in odin. Odin log should show 'added' once you connect phone to pc
    4. Start the process. Once finish phone should boot into recovery automatically but it'll try to boot back into OS. Just hold vol up+home+power button to get back into recovery

Will that work on the international version of the Note 3 ? I'm starting to believe that's the whole culprint of why I can't get it to work. :/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600648&page=2
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2454079