Considering to buy a Razr..

Search This thread

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
Question about the screen: I have been reading lately about people dropping the phone 20-30cm and getting the screen cracked. Is it really that fragile? I've never used screen protectors on my previous phones, they didn't even have Gorilla glass (except SGS) and not a single scratch. Do you think I should order the invisible shield?

Do you think this phone will last for 18-24 months?? I mean if we get the bootloader unlocked by either Motorola or devs I think this phone got a bright future?

Last edited:

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
Question about the screen: I have been reading lately about people dropping the phone 20-30cm and getting the screen cracked. Is it really that fragile? I've never used screen protectors on my previous phones, they didn't even have Gorilla glass (except SGS) and not a single scratch. Do you think I should order the invisible shield?

Do you think this phone will last for 18-24 months?? I mean if we get the bootloader unlocked by either Motorola or devs I think this phone got a bright future?

Haha, the phone will last as long as you take care of it. If people are clumsy or just don't care what happens to the phone then it might not last you. I just sold my Captivates for what I felt was good money because of the condition I kept them in. They had screen protectors and TPU case for each. No scratches on anything the entire time I owned them. I just put on the SGH screen protector on both of my Maxx' because I would prefer having that protection.

torikorocks

Jan 3, 2011
Syracuse
I definitely feel the RAZR is well built. Though I've noticed that the front outer bezel around the screen chips easily if dropped. If you use a case you'll have no problems. I just don't like cases.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
My phone just arrived. First impressons: Really thin, the size is not a problem when it's so thin. Fits in the pocket and jeans very well! I don't understand why people is flaming the screen, its amazing. I have previously owned a SGS i9000 with Pentile and my brother is still using his and I have never ever encountered problems with the screen.

The bad: Micro-sim card. Pain in the a$$ when now I need to order a new sim-card. But thats maybe neccesary to make up some place like the IP4S

LOCKDOC_UA

Nov 11, 2011
Kherson
I would say the same - pentile screen is not a problem in real life use. Presently i'm on moto atrix which is pentile too and see no problems with that. Thats why i ordered my razr w/out any doubt.

2 days till i receive razr. Uuuu!)

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
Really starting to doubt this and I dont know if to return the phone or not. The main problem is the bootloader, will it be unlocked with official ICS update or not? Motorola as always does not come with information and kholk (awesome man) is working to unlock the bootloader but it takes time and I understand that, and we don't know in theory how it works or if it will work. anyone else in the same situation?

still haven't bought any case or screen protection. Also from what I understand there is few Motorola phones with unlocked bootloaders (Atrix, Milestone the only two?)

I think I will return the phone and buy it again if the bootloader get unlocked with the ICS update (or with kholk). You really can't sit and wait with a 750$ phone to get the bootloader unlocked..

Last edited:

Jamalleelee

Mar 10, 2012
Baltimore
Hello

I am atm considering to buy Motorola Razr. I really don't know why but the design appeals. Just wondering how many people have problem with: The screen (very yellowish colour, is that true?), sim-card losing connection, headphone jack stop working etc. I can buy the Razr brand new for 615$ (without contract) is it worth? Previously owner of: SGS, ZTE Blade and HTC Desire Z. Horrible build quality on these phones imo. I know the Razr have pentile but does it really matther? My brother owns an SGS atm, I think SGS I9000 also have pentile but I never noticed it. Any suggestions? please feel free to comment

I have only had a issue with my headphone jack. I took it back and they gave me a new phone. But I have the Razr Maxx. I think the hardware is all the same though except for the battery of course. Sucks you can't get the maxx though. :/

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
I was in the same boat like you. I sold mine and bought an atrix. It's a pity to wait for motorola to unlock bootloader.

Yes I decided to return it, it's a pity really because the build quality is one of the best i've seen. Maybe I'll buy one again if the bootloader gets unlocked and we see more roms. The only Motorola device I will own untill they unlock ALL the bootloaders for phones is the Xoom.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

I am atm considering to buy Motorola Razr. I really don't know why but the design appeals. Just wondering how many people have problem with: The screen (very yellowish colour, is that true?), sim-card losing connection, headphone jack stop working etc. I can buy the Razr brand new for 615$ (without contract) is it worth? Previously owner of: SGS, ZTE Blade and HTC Desire Z. Horrible build quality on these phones imo. I know the Razr have pentile but does it really matther? My brother owns an SGS atm, I think SGS I9000 also have pentile but I never noticed it. Any suggestions? please feel free to comment

So far I have never had a problem with the screen,sim card, and build quality with Motorola has always been good. The head phone jack I just read about 1 person having a problem but most said it wasnt a problem.Ive only had the phone a couple of weeks though.
    Are you talking Galaxy Nexus? I am very much thinking about trading my nexus for a Razr.

The only REAL con I have, is the non replaceable battery. What do I do if I have a freeze?

Volume down key and power gives it a hard reboot. Similar to how you reboot an ipod or iphone when frozen.
    Hope so. The Razr could be so awesome with an unlocked bootloader. I am thinking CM9 + razr = win
    CM9 is currently being developed for the RAZR. You can still flash ROM's, just not kernels, radios, and splash screens.

Yea the stock ROM is a little lame, but you can improve dialer with "exdialer" and new launcher "golauncher"

Really with those changes, the moto UI is mostly disabled (the worst part IMO is probably the launcher). Everything else the UI has to offer is quick, easy, and maybe even a little sexy :rolleyes:
    But isn't a ics kernel needed to run cm9 properly ? I saw the leaked ics rom pictures for razr. And they sure look sexy. Dunno if that news can be trusted.
    That's a good point, I would think so but we already have ICS out and working and people are flashing and using it as a daily:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514169

Also a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzqoAnfhJs

I'd imagine once the RAZR gets the official ICS push then many of these bugs will clear up.
    I think you just made me not get the razr. But why did you purchase yourself? Would you trade your razr for a nexus?

Mine was a review unit I ended up keeping because I hoped it'd get either an unlocked bootloader or ICS before I reviewed it. Also because the Galaxy S II has WVGA and I couldn't stand it anymore. :)

The locked bootloader doesn't stop you flashing radios and splash screens, just kernels, which are annoyingly the most essential part. 'Security', eh?