case recommendations please (protection needed)

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yes, and yes. I also got a simple charging dock and a bike mount.

Exactly why I was so excited to find another full protection inclosure case (Is it true Otterbox have a patent on on that? that's crazy), at a reasonable price. The defender is just not good enough, apparently.

Alright, so I decided to bite the bullet and ordered Survivor knock off (black/grey: http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Sur...axy-Note-2-II-N7100-Black-Grey-MHC-N7100-84H/) and Defender knock off (white/grey: http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Ott...te-2-II-N7100-White-Grey-Black-MHC-N7100-93C/)

I just couldn't pass the opportunity to check it out!!! Coincidentally, nobody sells these on Amazon/ebay for obvious copyright reasons. The shipping is a bit high. For these two cases above plus knock off beats earbuds (with mic - for iphone, want to see if it works with GN2) and 2 ipod touch cases (one being knockoff of griffin survivor which looks identical to the one my son has already) for my kids - shipping turned out to be $19 through China post and 15-20 day delivery guarantee.

Will review everything with lots of pictures and my opinion/comparison (to original) once I get it.

Aby_148

Feb 22, 2013
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I looked after I posted that, I don't think they do, since griffin uses one on their survivor line
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Regarding that patent thing, I think I heard that somewhere else too.:) The must have something, otherwise:
I can't figure out why are there so little alternatives to this type of case in the market, for such a popular device as the Note II. The real estate of the screen, just begs for hard protection, for an "active" person. IMHO etc...

Maybe this can be for another topic, but I came across this cool looking "Itskins Lava" that sold out super quick (can't post link yet...)

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Regarding that patent thing, I think I heard that somewhere else too.:) The must have something, otherwise:
I can't figure out why are there so little alternatives to this type of case in the market, for such a popular device as the Note II. The real estate of the screen, just begs for hard protection, for an "active" person. IMHO etc...

Maybe this can be for another topic, but I came across this cool looking "Itskins Lava" that sold out super quick (can't post link yet...)

This one here: http://www.itskins.com/product/advanced-back-covers/lava_196_en.html

Hmm, looks interesting. But did you read is closely? They are trying to distinguish themselves with a screen protector shield that has "metal powder" to make it unique. From a patent point of view that's what they can use in court to claim it's different from Defender/Survivor.

But one thing I do not understand with this case. Why do you need to include 2 regular screen protectors? And also why do you need a flip case on top of that tpu case?!? Wouldn't that be an overkill with screen protector, plastic screen cover, and flip case cover?

Aby_148

Feb 22, 2013
Redmi Note 9 Pro
But did you read is closely? They are trying to distinguish themselves with a screen protector shield that has "metal powder" to make it unique. From a patent point of view that's what they can use in court to claim it's different from Defender/Survivor.
Yes I did :good: That's fine by me... as long as there's product, but there ain't :(
Don't you agree there need to be more of this style?

But one thing I do not understand with this case. Why do you need to include 2 regular screen protectors? And also why do you need a flip case on top of that tpu case?!? Wouldn't that be an overkill with screen protector, plastic screen cover, and flip case cover?
I think generally, the more options, the more modular the solution is, the better. Just looking.;) Nothing beast 1st hand experience though, couldn't find any other mention of in on XDA.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yes I did :good: That's fine by me... as long as there's product, but there ain't :(
Don't you agree there need to be more of this style?

I think generally, the more options, the more modular the solution is, the better. Just looking.;) Nothing beast 1st hand experience though, couldn't find any other mention of in on XDA.

Yeah, I also think that flip cover is removable, at least from the pictures.

Regarding plastic screen protector rugged self-enclosed cases - yes, we need more. I hope Case-mate will release Tough Xtreme for Note 2 as well (only for iPhone 5 now). That one looks great as well.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Found another one:
look for:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Case Wann Vera Touch Flip Cover II
on ebay. $35. hmmmmm,

Wow! I really like this concept: see-through flip cover that works as a touch screen protector! Now, if they would offer a plastic cover (front frame) and tpu shell (battery cover portion or go over the battery cover) - that would cut down significantly on cost ($35 price is probably due to leather) and will offer a much better protection (you drop it as is - and the phone will go flying out of the case). Plus, if they will offer a way to latch the flip cover so it doesn't flap open by itself and make a cutout hole aligned with notification light - this could be an awesome case!

rye

Jan 25, 2009
Hello

My survivor case just arrived from Hong Kong via ups. First thing that I realized right after I put it on is the build in screen protector lay flat on the screen unlike the otterbox defender where the build in screen protector doesn't lay flat on the screen.

Here are the pictures comparison of survivor (knock off) and otterbox defender.

In terms of protection so far it's doing a very good job since all holes, camera, stylus and even for the mics and speakers have thin like clothing to cover them.

For the built in screen protector, it doesn't effect the stylus usage at all. Screen responsive is just the same. What I mean is the sensitivity doesn't decrease.

For the echo issue. That most otterbox defender user had, well for me I've never had echo problem with the otterbox and I don't have the problem with this casing too.

The pictures were taken by bb bold9900 sorry bout the quality.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361878986070.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361878986070.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 396
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361879021951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361879021951.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 411
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361879045911.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361879045911.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 417
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361879070791.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361879070791.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 416
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361879092777.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361879092777.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 407

rye

Jan 25, 2009
For the rubber it feels just as solid as otterbox. But for the front piece is like thin. Then once it got connected to the rest of the pieces the front piece became more sturdier

Aby_148

Feb 22, 2013
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Rye, this looks real good. Can't wait until I get mine, I ordered a white/black combo.
Great to know the screen sits tight, like it should.

So, would you call it a score? You happy?
Access to buttons comfortable?
How's the clip handling? Does it feel secure?

Cheers.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Indeed, it looks almost too good to be true! I ordered the same Survivor (black/grey) and also their Defender (grey/white) knock off. Can't wait to check it out!!!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
The otterbox defender link isnt working can you provide a new one or know where else I can find one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

holly crap, Defender has been taken off both tvc-mall and case-parts websites. I guess Otterbox lawyers go to them first! :) I guess, Griffin lawyer can't do anything because they never released Survivor for Note 2 so its not a real knock-off but a copy of concept. Oh well... Surprisingly they still list Defender for iPhone and older Samsung phones, but not Note 2...

rye

Jan 25, 2009
Aby - Well knowing its a knock off case. So I've set my expectations low. Then when it's arrived and I put it on, I was partially mind blown because all three pieces work well. For the buttons much much more easier to press than otterbox defender. For the belt clip I haven't test it.

Vectron - I was looking for defender as well cause my defender's rubber is already loose. Then when I read that you said they have already remove it I was "awww man"

Thebdub - the frame for the screen is just nice in the middle. Maybe my angle while taking the pictures made it look that way. I've taken a new picture to show that the screen is in the center.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361928468800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361928468800.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 278

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I contacted their customer support and waiting for reply. My package hasn't shipped yet, so it worries me they are delaying it because of "defender". In theory, just because it's off the website, doesn't mean they don't have it. it's still listed on case-parts.com website for iPhone. So if it gets shipped, I will let you know. Then, you can contact them directly with an email and ask to add it to order manually ;)

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yay :D Thank you

Here you go my friend, just got a reply with links. They changed "defender" to "denfender" ;)

http://www.case-parts.com/details/O...g-Galaxy-Note-2-II-N7100-Black-MHC-N7100-93A/

http://www.case-parts.com/details/O...axy-Note-2-II-N7100-Grey-Black-MHC-N7100-93B/

http://www.case-parts.com/details/O...te-2-II-N7100-White-Grey-Black-MHC-N7100-93C/

Their customer support is "mandy@tvc-mall.com" - maybe drop her an email to confirm; just mention you got this info from Alex@XDA Forum since I already went through the whole routine to make sure it's included with my shipment :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought a knock off from China also about 10 days ago just using china post. I am looking for a holder for my car that will hold the note 2 along with this survivor case hard monted or with suction cups. So I can use the gps driving down the road. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Note²

Posted review here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2174449

Will work perfectly!!!
    Also ordered the "Survivor" (*** ""Survivor?"" :eek: ), with DHL shipping from TVC. Seems like a legit, in fact huge company.
    Added a bunch of other cheap chinese stuff, because the shipment was over 30$ to Israel. Paypaled it. Still worth it, I hope.

How bad could it be? It's got 4 parts, at least one of them would become usable... ;)
    Could also be very good.

They got a replacement battery for 3$. I didn't dare but maybe I should have.

That is a hefty shipping cost, probably because DHL with tracking? And I assume one shipping cost to cover all the items?

Regarding how bad could it be, I have a feeling its going to be this case (2nd case I reviewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36730711&postcount=714) with a different outer soft rubber shell, glued in screen protector, and a belt clip. I would be really curious to see how that screen protector is working. The gap under Defender screen protector with a phone screen was so unbearable that it completely ruined my experience with that case - I was more than happy to return it back to the store.

@ Brad S: believe it or not, for 2+ years of owning my DX I was using $3 tpu case from ebay and $0.99 sp and never gave much about cases or any other accessories. Now since getting GN2 a few months ago, I feel like I was bitten by a bug. I'm very happy with my UAG case, but still want to review and to play with other cases and accessories.
    Thank you so much :D

Chinese Survivor review - Note 2

Got the Chinese Survivor today, with DHL (super quick, superb service, and I paid for it).

Bottom line: Far from having any elegance in shape or feel, this big plastic/rubber contraption protects your phone really well.

It took me some moments of reflection to align myself with reality - it is what it is, a cheap Chinese knockoff model that doesn't even exist yet by the original company. :) Isn't it nuts?

The rubber feels toyish and cheap, not up to the standard of the device it covers. I'm just being sincere here, on any scale - it's kinda crappy.
    Very sticky though, doesn't slide (face up or down), but can be a real struggle to pocket. The w/h dimensions aren't too crazy, but overall thickness is sick.
    With only the inner hard plastic, the phone is already protected well. Then the outer rubber and front screen cover lock in. After careful setup everything sits well and secure.

All the cutouts (S-pen, earphones, USB, camera) have retractable rubber seals that fit good, even though the cut lines are a bit shaggy. The seals' flexible parts are kinda flimsy, I hope they won't break overtime.
    I had to enlarge the opening for my Sennheiser earphones' plug (it's a big one), 1 easy minute with a carving knife, no prob.
    Buttons work great, access is quick and sensitive.

The screen It is a thin flexible plastic film on a frame, and again, feels and looks cheap, but works well, sits tight, and the touch response is very good - not perfect, but I fear it's as good as it gets with this type of case.
    (I'm a tinkerer, so I'm thinking of one of those glass options to replace it. But if I'll go that way, maybe also a new, sleek bumper, that is easier on the eyes, and forget the whole thing...)

The belt clip is very usable - rotates and locks in open or closed positions. I like the design, but you get the theme - the execution is cheap - the spring is weak and not trustworthy. The way it anchors only to top and bottom is cool, but there's some play.

You get the idea. Overall, I'm happy, now I can ride my bike, woodwork, and do other manly things, generally allowing myself to behave more (*clumsily) freely around and with the device.
    If anyone is considering purchasing this case, I recommend it if:

1. You need a full enclosure type of protective case.
    2. You'd rather not pay $60 for it.
    3. You order other stuff from them as well to make it worthwhile with shipment from China.
    4. You are willing to forget it is a sleek, expensive, super high tech device from the future you're holding. :cyclops:

Thanks to Rye for bringing this case to our attention!

Cheers.
    So the rubber for the survivor have the same feeling with the original rubber? When you post pictures will you post the defected screen guard too please? I want to see it