[Q] Root and OTA updates

Search This thread

play541

Jul 29, 2012
Melbourne
HI All,
Sorry for this question, tried to serach for the asnwer, but I am still not clear.
mine Nexus 7 2012 WIFI, rooted, custom recovery and superuser installed currently runs on stock 4.4.2 KOT49H, will I get OTA updates for the latest 4.4.3 from googles? many thanks.

tinydynamite00

Aug 31, 2013
Austin
HI All,
Sorry for this question, tried to serach for the asnwer, but I am still not clear.
mine Nexus 7 2012 WIFI, rooted, custom recovery and superuser installed currently runs on stock 4.4.2 KOT49H, will I get OTA updates for the latest 4.4.3 from googles? many thanks.

Hi, afraid if you've root on your device, more importantly, you have a custom recovery partition in your device, do not accept OTAs. This could permanently brick your Nexus 7. You may be able to temporarily "unroot" the device, removing the custom recovery and flashing back to full stock with stock recovery. Check your device's threads for any available guides.

Sent from my d801 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: play541

play541

Jul 29, 2012
Melbourne
Hi, afraid if you've root on your device, more importantly, you have a custom recovery partition in your device, do not accept OTAs. This could permanently brick your Nexus 7. You may be able to temporarily "unroot" the device, removing the custom recovery and flashing back to full stock with stock recovery. Check your device's threads for any available guides.

Hi tinydynamite00,
Much appreciated.
I might try the Nexus tool to get back to full stock.

Hi tinydynamite00,
Much appreciated.
I might try the Nexus tool to get back to full stock.

you don't really need to go back to stock. when the ota becomes available, either here on xda or when it's available on your tablet, download it then install it through the recovery on your tablet. you'll lose root but just flash a root package and you're all done. i've done this before and no problems what so ever.

play541

Jul 29, 2012
Melbourne
you don't really need to go back to stock. when the ota becomes available, either here on xda or when it's available on your tablet, download it then install it through the recovery on your tablet. you'll lose root but just flash a root package and you're all done. i've done this before and no problems what so ever.

Hi mrbtree98,
Thanks for your reply.
Does this one work for me?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2533035

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Hi mrbtree98,
Thanks for your reply.

that's a custom rom or a modified stock rom. no one has got an ota for the 2012 nexus 7 and were the only nexus still to get 4.4.3 through ota. i'm also waiting but it's weird for there to be a gap from the other nexus's

I would recommend that one, as its basically rooted stock which is what you're currently running anyway. You can just wipe cache and dalvik cache in recovery and flash it, no need to wipe data (so your apps/settings/files will all be untouched). If there are any questions in recovery to flash stock recovery or fix root just answer no to both, my root was kept intact without having to reflash superSU. It saves waiting for the OTA (which still isn't here for some reason) and the risk of it failing/losing root/custom recovery for whatever reason.

As always just in case, make a full nandroid backup in recovery, then flash the ROM. You shouldn't have any problems. :good:

Last edited:

play541

Jul 29, 2012
Melbourne
that's a custom rom or a modified stock rom. no one has got an ota for the 2012 nexus 7 and were the only nexus still to get 4.4.3 through ota. i'm also waiting but it's weird for there to be a gap from the other nexus's

Thank you Sir!
Okay, correct me if I am wrong:
if OTA updates available, do not proceed to DL (over WIFI) and do not let tablet do the installation, as it might cause problem (brick?).
DL thru XDA install thru recovery instead. ( either in ZIP or .img? format).

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Thank you Sir!
if OTA updates available, do not proceed to DL (over WIFI) and do not let tablet do the installation, as it might cause problem (brick?).

You'll probaby get a status 7 error and the update won't apply, I would recommend the rooted stock based ROM you linked to above, quick and easy to update rather than waiting for an OTA and trying to update that way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HI All,

Hi mrbtree98,
    Thanks for your reply.

Hi mrbtree98,
    Thanks for your reply.

I would recommend that one, as its basically rooted stock which is what you're currently running anyway. You can just wipe cache and dalvik cache in recovery and flash it, no need to wipe data (so your apps/settings/files will all be untouched). If there are any questions in recovery to flash stock recovery or fix root just answer no to both, my root was kept intact without having to reflash superSU. It saves waiting for the OTA (which still isn't here for some reason) and the risk of it failing/losing root/custom recovery for whatever reason.

As always just in case, make a full nandroid backup in recovery, then flash the ROM. You shouldn't have any problems. :good:
    Thank you Sir!

You'll probaby get a status 7 error and the update won't apply, I would recommend the rooted stock based ROM you linked to above, quick and easy to update rather than waiting for an OTA and trying to update that way.