[Kernel][AOSP] BasicKernel 02/06

Search This thread

kejar31

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2010
Okay.. Most of you people know who I am.. and if you know me you know I am not much of a kernel dev :p ... Regardless, I love AOSP but while running CM10.1, I felt I was missing some things that were more readily available for a Stock ROM.. Things such as (unofficial)Voodoo sound, Overclocking and Undervolting.. So I went ahead and forked CM's kernel and added a few needed things.

Notes:

Thie kernel is for AOSP only!

This kernel include's codeworkx's downgrade to mali r2p4 commit from CM's gerrit.. In this commit codeworkx specifically states that there is a memory leak. Now I will also say this.. This downgrade greatly improves the graphical glitches found in the android 4.2 ROMS, IE no more keyboard funkyness etc... I have yet to see this leak myself and think the trade-off is worth it. If this causes serious issues for people let me know.

Features:

Compiled with the Linaro GCC 4.7.3 toolchain
Updated wifi driver
Unofficial Voodoo sound driver (otherwise this has not been reviewed and approved by Supercurio)
OverClock up to 1.8 Ghz
CPU Undervolting
Downgrade to mali r2p4 which fixed graphic glitches

ChangeLog:

A4 - initial release

A5
Updated wifi driver

Downloads:

Kernel source - https://github.com/kejar31/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412

i605 (VZW) - http://androidhosting.org/Devs/kejar31/BasicKernel-i605-A5.zip

Credit:

gokhanmoral
codeworkx
sbrissen
CyanogenMod
supercurio
Tk-Glitch

Last edited:

v36sedan

Jun 5, 2011
Re: [T0ltecdma][Kernel - AOSP] BasicKernel 01/31

Can this be flashed using liquid 3.2.1?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

v36sedan

Jun 5, 2011
Re: [T0ltecdma][Kernel - AOSP] BasicKernel 01/31

Any cache wipe needed?

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
Re: [Kernel - AOSP] BasicKernel 01/31

Thanks Kejar! Appreciate this brotha

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

v36sedan

Jun 5, 2011
Re: [Kernel][AOSP] BasicKernel 01/31

Seems to be working well

tgyberg

Feb 20, 2011
Mpls, MN
Thanks for the work! And for a blast from the past:

Long live
2yza1hk.jpg
!!

dmbfan13

Mar 4, 2010
Rockton, IL
You say there is a memory leak with the downgrade, I assume this will affect performance? Do you know where the CM kernel is located, in case we want to go back?

Thanks for the development! Maybe we'll see a comeback of Gummy....or Liberty....

jdenman03

Aug 6, 2008
Indianapolis
Its not bad. Not getting near the benchmarks i was getting with jelly beans and perseus kernal.

j3Vx9sHX

Ps: battery seems to be better on this now though(liquid 3.2.1)

Last edited:

kejar31

May 24, 2010
You say there is a memory leak with the downgrade, I assume this will affect performance? Do you know where the CM kernel is located, in case we want to go back?

Thanks for the development! Maybe we'll see a comeback of Gummy....or Liberty....

you can always just reinstall CM right over the top to get the CM kernel back.. and I personally have not seen a performance hit on the GPU..The opposite really

Reactions: jr313

kejar31

May 24, 2010
Benchmarks don't matter. Don't waste your time.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

not exactly true, although most of the time it is. Benchmarks matter when you compare apples to apples but not so when you compare apples to oranges.

So lets say you have CM installed on a phone.. you then run some benchmark. take note of the score. then you turn around and install a new kernel then rerun the benchmark.. I believe that is a fairly accurate way to show improvement. This benchmark will only show you a very small window of what has been improved and may not show other signs of what has been negatively effected. So as a way to test further you could run multiple benchmarks to help alleviate that issue.

Now if you use benchmarks to compare different phones, SOC or completely different OS's versions, that's when benchmarks really stop telling the truth.

Reactions: DaRkL3AD3R

WishRyder

Feb 2, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think I love you. For the first time in AOSP, my COMPASS IS WORKING! This also fixed my rendering issues with some apps on 4.2. :highfive:

I'm getting closer and closer to Paranoid Android being my daily driver. If only GPS and 4.2 camera weren't so flaky... :(

secularist

Dec 16, 2012
Alexandria VA

Thanks for this option.

FWIW I'm getting pretty similar AnTuTu scores as with Beans/Perseus...

Sent from my CM 10.1-pimped Note 2

17akota

Sep 11, 2010
State College
So since you're back in the game then, will we see Liberty on the Note. ;)

Been running this kernel since this morning and everything is awesome. I've noticed better battery life and all I did was overclock to 1.8. I haven't played around with undervolting yet.

Thank you!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay.. Most of you people know who I am.. and if you know me you know I am not much of a kernel dev :p ... Regardless, I love AOSP but while running CM10.1, I felt I was missing some things that were more readily available for a Stock ROM.. Things such as (unofficial)Voodoo sound, Overclocking and Undervolting.. So I went ahead and forked CM's kernel and added a few needed things.

Notes:

Thie kernel is for AOSP only!

This kernel include's codeworkx's downgrade to mali r2p4 commit from CM's gerrit.. In this commit codeworkx specifically states that there is a memory leak. Now I will also say this.. This downgrade greatly improves the graphical glitches found in the android 4.2 ROMS, IE no more keyboard funkyness etc... I have yet to see this leak myself and think the trade-off is worth it. If this causes serious issues for people let me know.

Features:

Updated wifi driver
    Unofficial Voodoo sound driver (otherwise this has not been reviewed and approved by Supercurio)
    OverClock up to 1.8 Ghz
    CPU Undervolting
    Downgrade to mali r2p4 which fixed graphic glitches

ChangeLog:

A4 - initial release

A5
    Updated wifi driver

Downloads:

Kernel source - https://github.com/kejar31/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412

i605 (VZW) - http://androidhosting.org/Devs/kejar31/BasicKernel-i605-A5.zip

Credit:

gokhanmoral
    codeworkx
    sbrissen
    CyanogenMod
    supercurio
    Tk-Glitch
    All kernels will work across all Roms soon enough.. New drivers were leaked with a 9300 4.2 build and they fix known issues.. So I would expect all rom and kernels will be using them in the future

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry looks as though we lost the hosting we had for the kernel :(

This kernel is now part of a larger project... Carbon ROM.. But if you would like to download the kernel in and of its self you can find a test one here

http://goo.im/devs/carbon/i605/Carbon-Test-Kernel-1-i605-A6.zip

Its not bad. Not getting near the benchmarks i was getting with jelly beans and perseus kernal.

j3Vx9sHX

Ps: battery seems to be better on this now though(liquid 3.2.1)

Benchmarks don't matter. Don't waste your time.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2
    Can this be flashed using liquid 3.2.1?

yes it can