[Q] Nexus 4 dropped in water

Search This thread

raghavaggsss

Jun 18, 2012
Hello
2 days back i accidently dropped my nexus 4 in a bucket full of water.The phone was into the bucket for 4-5 seconds.I immediately turned it off.After an hour or so i put it in a jar full of rice.It was there for about 24 hrs.(with sim tray removed i did not open the phone)
Now i am using it and everything works perfectly fine.Should i keep using it this way or do something to prevent internal damage?

Mashed_Potatoes

Oct 26, 2012
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Hello
2 days back i accidently dropped my nexus 4 in a bucket full of water.The phone was into the bucket for 4-5 seconds.I immediately turned it off.After an hour or so i put it in a jar full of rice.It was there for about 24 hrs.(with sim tray removed i did not open the phone)
Now i am using it and everything works perfectly fine.Should i keep using it this way or do something to prevent internal damage?

To be completely sure its dry take the phone apart and use a hair dryer.

Since i'm more of a realist than an optimist, i think your phone will survive this accident but have in mind that there is a chance of hardware failure in the future.

Water + electronics = corrosion

raghavaggsss

Jun 18, 2012
To be completely sure its dry take the phone apart and use a hair dryer.

Since i'm more of a realist than an optimist, i think your phone will survive this accident but have in mind that there is a chance of hardware failure in the future.

Water + electronics = corrosion

I think its completely dried but i read in forums that using hair dryer is not a good idea. I can't believe such a fragile phone like the nexus 4 survived it.I have my phone insured (yes water damage is included) but the guy at the service told me to wait for a month or two and afterwards get my touch and motherboard changed.

Ltdrev

Aug 28, 2013
YUL/YYZ
While ago I had my N4 for a week or two dropped it in a toilet bowl :(
I did panic almost stripped a screw opening it and unglued the LCD with an hairdryer! Same phone same situation DONT USE IT!
more to that my engineer friend told me I coulda done more damage by unsoldering some IC's
hairdryer big no-no!!

raghavaggsss

Jun 18, 2012
While ago I had my N4 for a week or two dropped it in a toilet bowl :(
I did panic almost stripped a screw opening it and unglued the LCD with an hairdryer! Same phone same situation DONT USE IT!
more to that my engineer friend told me I coulda done more damage by unsoldering some IC's
hairdryer big no-no!!

Using hair dryer could be the worst idea resulting in a solid burnt state motherboard.I think i should keep using it till it works fine and get it repaired under insurance if i face any problems

Travel_Mate

Jul 24, 2010
Same happened to me last autumn. What I did was; First hard shake to remove all the water, then immediately in a bag of rise, after 12 hours (I couldn't find a screwdriver earlier) I took it apart, disconnected the battery and left it in a bag of rise on a sunny window for another 48 hours. Checking the water damage indicators shows only little purple (not the whole, only small parts) on sim tray and usb, on the main board indicator is like new. After this whole procedure phone is working without a problem since then.