Vanir / AICP / SOKP [Q/A]- DISCUSSION THREAD

Search This thread

wingryder

Sep 4, 2013
guys im unable to get the latest build up and running, tried clean installing over lql/ddlp8 firmwares..it installs fine,but stays at vanir boot animation.tried with and without blobs fix,and without gapps but no go,result remains same.no errors while installing,anyone care to provide checksum,i suspect a curropt download

wingryder

Sep 4, 2013
formatted using tesla's script but no progress
edit:finally got it to work,the culprit was the boot.cpio file i placed in efs folder for cm12.1 install previously.after simply deleting it everything worked flawlessly.nice rom btw its nice to see developers working towards performance and stability

Last edited:

nss357

Jan 8, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
guys im unable to get the latest build up and running, tried clean installing over lql/ddlp8 firmwares..it installs fine,but stays at vanir boot animation.tried with and without blobs fix,and without gapps but no go,result remains same.no errors while installing,anyone care to provide checksum,i suspect a curropt download

vanir_janice-2015-05-20.zip
Code:
MD5 DB69AA5A7EB82D1CBC94DCCAEE01F65D
SHA-1 75C579C40F8E7D6BEF5D03DA26CECA7C60966423

Reactions: wingryder

didije

Nov 10, 2009
formatted using tesla:s script but no progress
Why formating with a script? Isn't there an option in CWM recovery? Before flashing CM [based] roms or any other rom for that matter, I always wipe data, clear cache, format system (and in this case format preload), and wipe dalvik. And there is not a single rom that failed to boot. If you cannot format preload from recovery, flash cocore's r16 kernel, format preload, flash mkaluza's kernel, format everything from my list and then flash rom. It will boot for sure.

Reactions: wingryder

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
vanir 2015-05-26

Hi guys!

New build is out :)
Changelog:
* restored old binary blobs - camera is working again
* added Synapse and UKM profiles for LiveOPP voltage and Mali parameters control
* Switched toolchains: android 4.7 --> 4.8-linaro, kernel: 4.9-linaro
* Switched thumb mode from -Os to -O3 (by @JustArchi)
* Added ro.hwui.* parameters optimized for Janice screen size

In progress is the implementation of more compiler optimizations by @JustArchi.. I'm also exploring the LTO and FDO gcc features, but that will definately take a lot of time (but can potentially give up to about 15% speed increase and code size reduction, so it's something worth fighting for)

Enjoy ;)

P.S.
I hope you realize that my subsequent builds are only about optimization/tuning/facelifting - cm-11.0 branch of both CyanogenMod and Vanir is not updated anymore.

Last edited:

#Henkate

Feb 1, 2012
フェアリーテイル
Hi guys!

Changelog:
* added Synapse and UKM profiles for LiveOPP voltage and Mali parameters control

In progress is the implementation of more compiler optimizations by @JustArchi.. I'm also exploring the LTO and FDO gcc features, but that will definately take a lot of time (but can potentially give up to about 15% speed increase and code size reduction, so it's something worth fighting for)

Enjoy ;)

P.S.
I hope you realize that my subsequent builds are only about optimization/tuning/facelifting - cm-11.0 branch of both CyanogenMod and Vanir is not updated anymore.

What does that parameter for our screen size? I mean, what it help / what it improve?
Also, what mean LTO and FDO ?

Gonna flash it in 10 mins. I miss the torch from lockscreen and some more features. Nice to see that you added Synapse.

I have an suggestion. Can you add non-intrusive call like in this pic? https://cdn-images.xda-developers.com/direct/2/7/5/5/0/1/2/UnobtrusiveCallNotify.jpg or http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-con...een-Shot-2013-10-14-at-3.01.29-PM-668x337.png The window can be in top of screen too.

Last edited:

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
What does that parameter for our screen size? I mean, what it help / what it improve?
Memory usage - hopefully
Also, what mean LTO and FDO ?
Link time optimization and feedback driven optimization - advanced compiler features.
Doubt it. Which ROM has this feature? If it can be easily ported then maybe, but no promises.

Reactions: #Henkate

#Henkate

Feb 1, 2012
フェアリーテイル
Ok, I'll look into it (but still no promises) - maybe it'll help me solve the ring delay problem, when I know more about that area.

I searched on google a bit and i see that many people ( with other phones) has same problem with ring delay.
I just tried this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49585743&postcount=3 and it seems that the screen to answer to the call appear with 1-2 seconds faster ( same when screen is off). "RESIDENT: If set, the system will try much harder to keep the app in memory even when you leave it. It might make the app more responsive when reopening but will also consume more RAM, possibly slowing down the overall system."

Maybe its caused by deep sleep or low freq? Other guy was trying to make an profile for Tasker app and when an call is detected it raise the cpu freq. I will search more, maybe i find something useful.

EDIT1: I did set cpu freq min 800Mhz and max 1Ghz with performance governor and deadline scheduler and now it is faster. The screen appear in 1-2 seconds when screen is off and almost instantly when screen is on, and before it appeared like 3-4 seconds.

EDIT 2: When phone is on silent mode, there is no delay. Maybe the problem is ringtone? Although i use one of the default ringtones. But when there is an incoming call, the ringtone starts before the screen appear and after i decline the call i still hear the ringtone for some miliseconds.

Last edited:

#Henkate

Feb 1, 2012
フェアリーテイル
Your vanir version is very nice and way more smooth than last vanir release official.

1)But your torch is burning my phone lol. When i enable "high brightness", my phone get very hot since first 5 seconds in the place where torch is located (i can't hold my finger on torch, i swear).
2)Why there is no button to remove the notifications (like in recents apps) ?
3) On the incoming call screen there are 2 green icons to answer.

That's all i found until now.

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
@mkaluza first of all, thank you for the latest build :D

i only have one problem, i keep on getting a google play services crash popup, i tried installing different gapps and doing all the wipes with no luck.

i then saw this post > http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60998884&postcount=770

but being a complete n00b i don't know if it's something i can find a workaround for or if it is caused by the toolchain you used :confused:

I used 4.8 linaro (with 4.9 it failed to boot). Also had FC's, but they stopped after clearing all data for google play, google play services and google services framework (and a reboot - leave the phone on with wifi so that gp can update it's "inside" stuff). I use vanir for a long time, so I have very old gapps installed (pa-gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140725-signed.zip), but I don't thing it matters as google updates it as it needs.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Your vanir version is very nice and way more smooth than last vanir release official.

1)But your torch is burning my phone lol. When i enable "high brightness", my phone get very hot since first 5 seconds in the place where torch is located (i can't hold my finger on torch, i swear).
Then don't put your finger there ;) and if it gets too hot, just don't use the high brightness - it was never meant for continous operation (mine is fine though, but it doesn't get hot).
I don't know - I've got mine ;)
3) On the incoming call screen there are 2 green icons to answer.
didn't notice this one - I'll take a closer look next time sb calls me
That's all i found until now.

Force, you seem to have an over the average amount of peculiar problems ;P

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

I searched on google a bit and i see that many people ( with other phones) has same problem with ring delay.
I just tried this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49585743&postcount=3 and it seems that the screen to answer to the call appear with 1-2 seconds faster ( same when screen is off). "RESIDENT: If set, the system will try much harder to keep the app in memory even when you leave it. It might make the app more responsive when reopening but will also consume more RAM, possibly slowing down the overall system."

Maybe its caused by deep sleep or low freq? Other guy was trying to make an profile for Tasker app and when an call is detected it raise the cpu freq. I will search more, maybe i find something useful.

EDIT1: I did set cpu freq min 800Mhz and max 1Ghz with performance governor and deadline scheduler and now it is faster. The screen appear in 1-2 seconds when screen is off and almost instantly when screen is on, and before it appeared like 3-4 seconds.

EDIT 2: When phone is on silent mode, there is no delay. Maybe the problem is ringtone? Although i use one of the default ringtones. But when there is an incoming call, the ringtone starts before the screen appear and after i decline the call i still hear the ringtone for some miliseconds.
Thanks for your research :)
My guess is that it's about frequency - that would explaiin why pressing 'home' brings up the phone app quickly when the phone is ringing. I'm testing some governor settings and maybe just this will help. Anyway - I'll look around - maybe there's some easy way to make the phone app boost cpu frequency quickly. Testing is the problem here as I don't have another phone to call mine at will :p But I'll see what I can do - need to do a bit of digging to find the codepaths responsible for taking a call - maybe there's some nice hook somewhere to install the freq boost code.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Ok, I've found this too. I've got quick pulldown enabled and if I use quick pulldown and then switch to notifications, there's no button, but if I go directly to notifications, the button is visible. I'll see what I can do about it (although it's a minor inconvenience). It turns out I'm maintaining this rom after all... ehhh...

#Henkate

Feb 1, 2012
フェアリーテイル
Force, you seem to have an over the average amount of peculiar problems ;P

Guess what. I found another problem. When i enable "Disable alarm icon" from Interface >Statusbar mods and then i disable it again, an alarm icon appear in statusbar and it won't dissapear until i open Clock app.
Minor problems. I can live with them :D

It turns out I'm maintaining this rom after all... ehhh...

You were one since you started to build it hehe ( at least in peoples mind who still use this phone).

Last edited:

mkaluza

Dec 16, 2010
Ok, the build is probably faulty... I'll post a working build in a few hours. It seems you can't just change compiler flags and expect it to work... But I'm not giving up ;) I think it's time for a separate thread after all :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vanir 2015-05-26

Hi guys!

Changelog:

Enjoy ;)

P.S.
    vanir 2015-05-20

Hi guys!
    New build:)
    Changes:

- fixed menu button unlock screen issue
    - added apns-conf.xml
    - added Smart Pulldown from OmniROM
    - improved brightness values
    - updated binary blobs to I9070XXLQL_I9070ITVLQ5_ITV this causes camera problem,
    - double tap on home button switches to previous app
    - changed behaviour quicksettings GPS tile - tap can turn location on and then cycles between battery saving and high accuracy modes
    - dalvik-cache rebuild is now multithreaded - lasts half the time

REMEMBER - after flashing the rom, flash restore_blobs.zip - I don't see the point for downloading 200mb again to replace 4mb worth of files, but I will make available a fixed version.
    Hi guys ;)
    I've refreshed my Vanir build and also integrated my modifications (high power torch, mk kernel 5.6.1) with it. It doesn't differ much from last Vanir daily though - most key packages for cm-11 branch aren't developed anymore, so all that might appear are some bugfixes.

As an experiment - I'm sharing it via torrent.

BTW try ART - it's awesome!
    Wow ;) that's quite a review ;) thanks :)
    I am quite happy with this build.

Really love the complete control over hardware keys (I use double tap on home button to switch to the last app, great way for fast multitasking, long press on lockscreen to turn on torch, long press back button to kill app).
    Yes, that's what I like very much about Vanir :)
    Haven't experienced a low in-call volume but call recording is not working and sometimes it takes too long for the screen to turn on when receiving the call (once it took 5-7 seconds and I couldn't answer because the screen just would not turn on).
    I just press home button - usually helps. I just got used to it. Fact of the matter is that I don't know where to even start looking for cause of this :/
    You should consider adding to the /etc folder apns.conf since it is a real pain to set up access points when you know that it can be done automatically if that file is not missing.
    Ok, I'll do it - I didn't wipe the phone so I didn't notice it. If you happen to know where to get a 'recent' one, or even have one, drop it here;)
    And, just a suggestion, it will be nice if someone would redefine levels for better autobrightness control (they are just off to me and I tried to set them manually like I did on many devices but the lux values made no sense to me and the preview "curve" on default levels is just not right).
    Yes, autobrightness sucks, but I couldn't find the code responsible for it. Is it the same on other cm roms, or is it vanir specific (I'm asking because I haven't used any other)?
    In fact the sucking goes deeper than the interface -our light sensor can output as many as 512 different values (in comparison there are only 300 brightness values out of which you can choose only 26 levels), so we could have something like continous autobrightness instead of just 5 levels. But regretably I was not able to find the code :(

I went around it - if you want, I can send you the script and if tests are successful, I'll include it in the next build.
    Also, please consider adding some kind of a file manager in the build.
    No - file manager is a 'personal' thing, there are many different and it's very unlikely that one will suit everyone. It'd only be an unnnecessary junk - if someone needs one, they'll get their favorite one :) Personally I use total commander, which I'm not even sure can be included into rom... I'm more of a less-is-better type ;) If someone wanted a bloated firmware, they would have stayed with samsung ;P
    Final suggestion, you could add an option for the quick settings to automatically show when there are no notifications.
    Would be possible, maybe someday - I don't really need it. I use Quick Pulldown option - requires a bit of getting used to, but after that it's just fine.
    Just to mention, maybe there is sth. wrong with my device since I have this issue on every rom, when my wifi is on, the ratio between deep sleep and awake time when not using the phone is 30% vs 70% (so 70% awake time with screen off and not using a phone at all), but on mobile data is 95% vs 5%. Maybe you will have some insight on this.
    1. What wifi sleep policy have you got selected?
    2. Check the wake locks (I used GSam Battery Monitor)
    3. If wake locks are the problem - were for me - go to settings/security/privacy guard/advanced/device and look for 'keep awake' and disable it. Once I disabled it for google play services, everything went back to normal (it wasn't sleeping at all)
    Oh, and there is no need to call this build "experimental" :)
    'Experimental' is the distribution method ;) My Vanir build is by all means vanilla, stable and not to be experimented upon ;)
    It is quite stable and since you are planning to release bug fixes you should consider opening a new thread.
    Where did I say that? I don't since there aren't any bugs (as in pain-in-the-ass bugs, not inconveniences like youtube in the browser).
    But if any improvements are made, I'll be happy to make another release

Thanks for your time :)
    Yeah, it's just awesome :) I've tried the script from your previous post but my values does not match yours in the table (see the screenshots) and I'm not seeing any difference in the auto brightness behaviour.

It just didn't run. Did you flash the optional kernel or are you running on the one from rom? if not - flash release_noswp (I'm not finished mixing in my changes to init.rc scripts - maybe sth is missing). If this doesn't help (which would be strange), move the script to /system/etc/init.d and report back.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Is there a chance that we could see some lollipop love for vanir? :D
    Not from me - with kk vanir set up the way I have now I simply don't need lollipop _this_ much. Maybe when cm12.1 by hasta is more-less working (on my scale, not yours), I'll give it a try. But I doubt it... SGA is a dying breed... Well... maybe if I have too much free time... just for the sake of it ;) but for now I'm waiting for any L5 distro to be stable on sga - I can port it then... I'm not that determined to do it on my own...