Desktop apps ported to Windows RT

Search This thread

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@TheDeitz:

Did somebody remove the bold text in the first post about not asking for ports of closed-source software, lest you waste our time and look like a fool?

Hmm... nope.

So, do you have the source code, or are you just being a fool and wasting time?

EL MEXICAN

Apr 19, 2012
I don't know if im in the right section but is there a app or program I can use to use my phone as a wireless or remote mouse? I have a lg optimus g:confused:

xSum1x

Jan 31, 2011
Hi guys,

Is it possible to port this Mario game?
stabyourself .net /mari0/ (sorry I cannot post links)
It has the source files to download.

Thanks

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@EL MEXICAN: Possibly the right section (although questions should go in General, not Dev&Hacking), but definitely the wrong thread. Not sure where you got the idea to post that here...

@xSum1x: Mari0 requires LOVE, which requires Lua. It's probably portable - the entire chain appears to be open source, and since it's 2D-based it hopefully won't require OpenGL (though it might...) - but it won't be a small project. It also might not compile under MSVC.

TheDeitz

Mar 10, 2012
@TheDeitz:

Did somebody remove the bold text in the first post about not asking for ports of closed-source software, lest you waste our time and look like a fool?

Hmm... nope.

So, do you have the source code, or are you just being a fool and wasting time?

Yes, thanks for calling me a fool. It really helped everyone.

And yes, I read the bold text, and the rest of the whole thread. The game is NOT closed-source software. It's wide open. I noticed bartekxyz has been porting OPEN source games in effort to help bring some games to RT, so I RESEARCHED well known open source games like the ones he has graciously ported thus far. The webpage that has the source for the game is currently not working. My apologies.

I merely wanted to suggest it, since he is looking at porting games.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
TC:E *may* be open source (though I could find no legit indication of this; it calls itself freeware on TCE.com but nothing more and has no links to source; some unsubstantiated forum posts claim it's open source with links to the dead site TCE.net), but you really should put in the minimal effort to find a link to the source code before you ask somebody else to port a game for you, for free.

Again, this is a developer community. It really saddens me how many people can't be bothered (or don't know how) to go so far as to download the source code, throw it into the MSVC ARM cross-compiler tools or Visual Studio 2012, and at least give it a basic try. To not even check if the source is actually available, though... seriously?

TheDeitz

Mar 10, 2012
Again, I apologize for the lack of link for the source code. It's not my intention to waste any time or to take lightly the efforts you dedicated developers put into these things. I only was trying to help by making suggestions. If I have any other ideas in the future I'll be sure to provide a link to the source. Perhaps you should add a requirement for a source link in the bold warning to further help those making suggestions. Thank you all for the hard work being put into this project. It really makes a difference. Hopefully MS will see its potential because this definitely adds value to RT and ARM devices.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Those are libraries for developers, not plugins for existing programs. If you aren't trying to write or port a media player, they won't be useful to you.

Getting a good media player with a wide range of codecs would be a good project for RT, though. The built-in players are so lame. The store ones are often better, but it would be nice to have an option on the desktop.

@TheDeitz: I wouldn't have thought it necessary, especially since an actually open-source app typically doesn't make its source difficult to find, but hopefully it will help.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
So, I took a break from beating my head on Chromium to try building FDM. Tentatively, this should work. The Firefox extension and IE integration are giving me uphill, but the first is useless right now and the second I can either figure out or do without.

I do need Boost (for the torrent library, it seems). I can presumably build it myself, but if there's an ARM-built copy floating around out there, that would be very helpful.

Reactions: TheDeitz

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
TC:E *may* be open source (though I could find no legit indication of this; it calls itself freeware on TCE.com but nothing more and has no links to source; some unsubstantiated forum posts claim it's open source with links to the dead site TCE.net), but you really should put in the minimal effort to find a link to the source code before you ask somebody else to port a game for you, for free.

Again, this is a developer community. It really saddens me how many people can't be bothered (or don't know how) to go so far as to download the source code, throw it into the MSVC ARM cross-compiler tools or Visual Studio 2012, and at least give it a basic try. To not even check if the source is actually available, though... seriously?
TheDeitz's question was directed towards ME so I don't quite understand YOUR negativity. For me all requests are welcome as porting is FUN, I do it for my own, pure satisfaction. Plus I'm running out of ideas so If anybody have some - I'm all ears.

TheDeitz

Mar 10, 2012
Well said. Never mind on True Combat, I've been looking for the source everywhere and I believe it's much too much for the ARM to handle. Scorched 3D

(http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Download_Source_Code)

May be a possibility, although I really am not sure how or if it will even work concerning the power of the chip.

Also I'm not sure if you already were searching but there seems to be many open source versions of quake 3. After some research ioquake ( http://ioquake3.org/get-it/ )
Seems to be the best engine for porting.

Just a few more ideas for you.

I really appreciate your time and effort you put into these projects, keep up the good work!

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
Well said. Never mind on True Combat, I've been looking for the source everywhere and I believe it's much too much for the ARM to handle. Scorched 3D

(http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Download_Source_Code)

May be a possibility, although I really am not sure how or if it will even work concerning the power of the chip.

Also I'm not sure if you already were searching but there seems to be many open source versions of quake 3. After some research ioquake ( http://ioquake3.org/get-it/ )
Seems to be the best engine for porting.

Just a few more ideas for you.

I really appreciate your time and effort you put into these projects, keep up the good work!

Unfortunately all mentioned games depend on opengl which is unsupported in Windows RT

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
Pentagram - Ultima VIII engine

Pentagram - Ultima VIII engine.

Unpack contents of zip file, open folder, open another window, head to %appdata% and make folder Pentagram then drop pentagram.ini from unpacked folder to freshly made one. Now copy contents from your original Ultima VIII to ultima8 folder. That's all.

>>>>Pentagram<<<<

0Ueqob0l.jpg

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
So... I'm thinking it might be good to spawn a new thread expressly for people to request ports (and developers/porters to offer their services), if that's what they want to do; I had intended this thread to be more focused on announcing and discussing them and it's become a bit too large and unwieldy to look through everything on it.

With that said, to answer the question about OpenGL (not really on topic; there's at least one other thread concerned with the actual process of porting): Not likely any time soon. It's possible to translate OpenGL calls to Direct3D calls - Wine does the reverse for *nix systems to run Windows apps - but it's a massive project that requires a lot work. Even then, the compatibility is often somewhat lacking (transparent textures, or missing lights, or z-buffer problems, etc.) due to bugs that are inevitable in something that big. Ideally would get an actual OGL driver (shader compiler, libraries, etc.) for RT, but don't hold your breath. It would probably be to Microsoft's benefit to make it happen, because it would make porting games from other platforms a lot easier, but Microsoft still has 90s mentality of "developers always write for our stuff first; why should we make it easy for them to port to other platforms?" even though the exact opposite is now true in mobile devices, and it's hurting them.

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
quake3 has a directx port somewhere but I think it was DX9 rather than DX11 so that might be equally problematic.
You are correct. And about opengl, I think that official Microsoft's support(drivers etc) would be the only solution and that's never going to happen.

on topic: I'm going to wrestle a bit with VCMI which is HOMM3 engine recreation. Bet some of you would be very happy seeing it on RT devices(I'm looking at you GoodDayToDie)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts