ZTE N762 - Android 2.3 and UMX MAX MXE-670 root?

Search This thread

kocoman

Jan 18, 2007
ZTE N762 - Android 2.3 and UMX MAX MXE-670

The page http://www.publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/phones?lang=en has changed since the previous check.

Added:
+ ZTE N762
+ * Android 2.3
+ * 3.5" touch screen display
+ * Email and web-friendly
+ * 2 MP camera
+ * Speakerphone
+ *
+ Find a store near you
+ Details
+ Max
+ * Android 2.3
+ * 3.2" touch screen display
+ * Email and web-friendly
+ * 3.2 MP camera
+ * Front-facing camera
+ *
+ Find a store near you
+ Details

FCC ID Q78-ZTEN762 ??

msm7627 (based on FCC photos), also have SIM slot in FCC photos

But no hotspot?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=184108&fcc_id='Q78-ZTEN762
then select: "declaration Letter For hot spot mode"

(direct linking not work)
------
Then

http://umxusa.com/cdma/mxe-670/
QSC6085

Max
Android 2.3
3.2" touch screen display
Email and web-friendly
3.2 MP camera
Front-facing camera

FCC ID ??
---

Has anyone brought one of those yet?

Which phone can be rooted?

Chinespa

Mar 7, 2012
Evans City
I have a ZTE Score with similar specs and I have read that it can be rooted. I didn't try it yet. Root at your own risk, your phone might not be rootable I don't know how well it would work for you and am not liable if anyone messes their phone up somehow. I would only try it on mine if a bunch of people said it worked OK.

Last edited:

AJohannes

Mar 7, 2012
I've gone through the process a few times now using Bluntman's method and everything runs smoothly right through to the final "Enjoy!" message, but the phone is still not rooted. Anyone else have this problem and figure out what went wrong?

I'm on Public Mobile with the ZTE n762, V2.3.5, BB N760B01.

thanks!

Last edited:

AJohannes

Mar 7, 2012
Update on the root problem I was having using Bluntman's method.

After many hours trying to find any possible answers to the problem online- and failing miserably- I finally got root by adding this one step:

After completing the steps spelled out by Bluntman, if you get the"Enjoy!" message and still aren't rooted start over from the beginning. Re-copy the update.zip to your SD card, as well, rather than assuming you don't have to. (After each failed attempt for me, the package on the card came up as corrupted when I checked it with JZip.)

Then, while still in the fastboot recovery screen, navigate to "Fix Permissions," and enter.

Once that's done, reboot. If you see Superuser on your launch screen, you're rooted, though I double-checked root access with RootCheck from the Market/Play Store. Now to back-up and start monkeying! Thanks, Blunt.

bluntman420

Dec 15, 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Update on the root problem I was having using Bluntman's method.

After many hours trying to find any possible answers to the problem online- and failing miserably- I finally got root by adding this one step:

After completing the steps spelled out by Bluntman, if you get the"Enjoy!" message and still aren't rooted start over from the beginning. Re-copy the update.zip to your SD card, as well, rather than assuming you don't have to. (After each failed attempt for me, the package on the card came up as corrupted when I checked it with JZip.)

Then, while still in the fastboot recovery screen, navigate to "Fix Permissions," and enter.

Once that's done, reboot. If you see Superuser on your launch screen, you're rooted, though I double-checked root access with RootCheck from the Market/Play Store. Now to back-up and start monkeying! Thanks, Blunt.

Hey no problem, glad it helped!

Reactions: GUIfaux

rellio1

Mar 22, 2012
fastboot questions

Hi Bluntman, thanks a mil for posting your method. Ever since I got the N762 I have been searching for a way to get the crapware off it and get the most out of the phone.

I'm having trouble making it work, however. Fastboot sticks at <waiting for device...>, which I've read usually mean a driver issue. I've tried the Google driver, the one that comes on the phone itself, and a third ZTE driver I found on another forum, but it's always the same result.

Any thoughts? :confused:

AJohannes

Mar 7, 2012
Hey Rellio, did you get your fastboot problem solved?

I'd had similar difficulties getting fastboot to work, and eventually uninstalled the ZTE drivers from the computer, reset the phone and then re-installed the drivers.
That got it back on track for me.

rellio1

Mar 22, 2012
Thanks Ajohannes, bluntman,

Just to make sure, and forgive my ignorance, but by reset do you mean factory reset, and wipe the thing (after backing up of course)?
I'm game, and happy to give that a try, but want to know if that's necessary or if there is something milder that you had in mind.

Rellio1

GUIfaux

Apr 18, 2012
So I bid you a fair evening neighbor!

Has anyone tried to use bluntmans method on the umx max yet?? I gotta kill this spyware infested phony. It only has 200 mb of internal ffs. What was i thinking? factory restore leaves me with 50 mb....................
Ill take a
UMX MAX ROOT :)

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
Clockwork Made easy for B06/B05

check your phones.... go to settings about phone and then look at the name of your rom all the way at the bottom... if you have a B06, there is a one step install for clockworkmod i have created called clockwork easy. It is very easy to install however it is DEADLY to newer b08 models. but rest assured it is tested and very safe for b06 and b05 models.

h88ttp://ww88w.4shar88ed.co88m/rar/2G1LKQZw/n762_clock88workmod_easy.ht88ml

copy the image folder to your sd card. After that, go to settings>about phone>system update and let clockworkmodeasy do its magic.... there you just skiped all the command prompt steps. now you can root or install a whole new rom using clockwork recovery!! remember to do a backup before doing any further steps and again, IF YOU HAVE A B08 DO NOT USE THIS!

I'm working on b08 version... wont be long... gotta test it.

take the 88s out of the link so it works..

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

I've made some some back to stock roms for the n762 however i had to jury-rig the spleshg.img because i could not pull it from the phone... does anyone know how i could pull the original spleshg.img from the n762 using fastboot so that i could make them perfect... i will post them afterwards. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2009
hey i tried you method and now when it boots up, it doesn't show anything and clowowrk recovery does not work. can you please tell me how to get it back to stock? thanks

djflexlive

Nov 27, 2007
Montréal
Hi,

I have an UMX MAX but I can't do the procedure.

I can't use adb or fastboot, my device is not recognized when I plug it to my computer, when I type :

adb devices

it show nothing.

Any idea ? Thanks.

mike9013x

Aug 13, 2011
ADB & USB Driver for UMX u670c MAX BRAVO

Hi,

I have an UMX MAX but I can't do the procedure.

I can't use adb or fastboot, my device is not recognized when I plug it to my computer, when I type :

adb devices

it show nothing.

Any idea ? Thanks.

OK, so first off let me say that i know we are kindof in the wrong thread but us umx max owners a far and few between (at least the ones trying to obtain root) so with that said i have successfully obtained a usb driver through installing pda net in Windows, and also i have been able to use the ADB interface in windows with this pda net driver. i tried to manually root the device via adb but at the last step it threw the error
"failed to set prot mask (inappropriate ioctl for device)"
i followed the manually rooting instructions, (i cant post links yet sooooooooooo......... google "manualy rooting android" its at pocketables dot com how-to-manually-root-almost-any-android-device

basically tried every one click pc based rooting application. and the z4root apk. nada. no root.

HELLO WORLD!
I and the rest of every one who has these stupid damn umx max phones NEED a method to root from this point on.
With my provided info we have a usb driver, we have adb, now we need...............? to obtain permanent or temp. root ( im really not too picky at this point) thanks.:confused:

toxinburn

Jul 11, 2013
Ward
Moto G Stylus
Any root yet?

I recently purchased this unimax u670c max bravo piece of crap phone and I am in the same boat, I have been searching tirelessly for a working root for this device with absolutely no luck....I know someone out there has the know how to make this happen, and this is me begging! I and many others that use this phone desperately need a root on this thing please help us if you could anyone out there get a root on it yet? I cant even get usb tethering to work on it...if you have rooted or gained usb tether with this model please let me know what to do to gain the same thing I would really appreciate it thanks in advance for anyone out there reading this and trying to help, I can't decide if it's too challenging for the whizkids out there or if it's not possible I would really love to see it happen though thanks again.

OK, so first off let me say that i know we are kindof in the wrong thread but us umx max owners a far and few between (at least the ones trying to obtain root) so with that said i have successfully obtained a usb driver through installing pda net in Windows, and also i have been able to use the ADB interface in windows with this pda net driver. i tried to manually root the device via adb but at the last step it threw the error
"failed to set prot mask (inappropriate ioctl for device)"
i followed the manually rooting instructions, (i cant post links yet sooooooooooo......... google "manualy rooting android" its at pocketables dot com how-to-manually-root-almost-any-android-device

basically tried every one click pc based rooting application. and the z4root apk. nada. no root.

HELLO WORLD!
I and the rest of every one who has these stupid damn umx max phones NEED a method to root from this point on.
With my provided info we have a usb driver, we have adb, now we need...............? to obtain permanent or temp. root ( im really not too picky at this point) thanks.:confused:

indomie88

Jun 24, 2013
You guys are lucky to get 1.5mbps, I get 0.3-0.5megabits/s where I live, I tried Speedtest.net on both the ZTE and the MAX, both give me around 30kB/s download and around 150kB/s upload.

Also to get FoxFi working you need this on the PC: User Agent Switcher for Firefox, just import this XML file

techpatterns(dot)com/downloads/firefox/useragentswitcher.xml

into it and choose a webkit based browser by clicking Tools->Default user agent. Worked for me, also I use my HTC IncS tethered to the ZTE N762 without any plugin, much more convenient to browse the web and watch videos.

yeah the connection speed in my area is not that great either

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Real Method WITHOUT flashing chinese ROM

New METHOD!!!! I have finally found a way to root the n762. This method uses a clockworkmod recovery that i found online but lost the source link too.(I had like 20 tabs open at once and must of closed the tab,now i cant find it.)Credits to whoever compiled the recovery.
    Steps.

Download the recovery.img
    Download update.zip

using adb type: adb reboot bootloader

using fastboot type: fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img (make sure the img is in c: or just replace with the path to the .img)

when its done flashing type fastboot reboot

when phone is booted put the update.zip on the root of your sdcard

use adb and type: adb reboot recovery

the recovery will be upside down but its close to fully functional(adb doesn't work as well as some other things but it doesn't matter)

apply the update.zip from sdcard and you will be fully rooted!!

GOOD LUCK everyone
    No Luck

I've been looking for a way to root my MAX for the last few days.
    Drivers I have tried havent worked.
    And I cant find any device drivers for Teleepoch or UMX phones.
    Here's more on the device: h.ttp://umxphones.com/cdma/mxe-670
    I think its gonna be quite a while before the driver ends up on: h.ttp://developer.android.com/sdk/oem-usb.html
    So in the meanwhile I emailed Unimax to see if they would provide one.
    Ideally i want to root the device just to get a few apps off of it that i never use and that take up valuable storage space that were installed by the carrier.

Ill keep looking and post if i find anything!
    How do you root this phone? Someone on here must have a method? I have tried evry exploit there is and every one-click to no success. If we had a custom recovery it would be easy, but i dont think there is one. Also, are there any stock images or tools to flash back to stock if we screw something up while trying to root it?(ie, odin,lgdp,or other similar tools?)

Also, every method i have tried keeps saying read-only filesystem for /system mount. Is there a nandlock or something?

I even tried using nautilus from ubuntu with root permissions and the phone in download mode to write to /system but it doesn't work.
    @sersoft2 glad it worked for you!
    Not sure about the max?Don't have one to test.