Turn Galaxy camera into SUPER camera

Search This thread

john12262002

Sep 1, 2012
Reactions: lavaclaw

john12262002

Sep 1, 2012
d p r e v i e w.com/news/2012/08/29/samsung-announces-galaxy-camera-with-android-OS-4-1-jelly-bean

yes!!!! android-OS-4-1

Network shows 4G 3G HSPA..
What is the main factor that it cant make a phone call ??

aditya104

Oct 17, 2010
If you want to know if Galaxy Camera can make a phone call or not? The answer is yes. It can do anything that Android 4.1 allows it to do. More Info

john12262002

Sep 1, 2012
Thank you for answering questions .
>>>>>>>>>>d p review.com/news/2012/08/29/samsung-announces-galaxy-camera-with-android-OS-4-1-jelly-bean
(delete two spaces between d p r )

How ever , in Offcial displays and websites show us "with a 1.4GHz quad-core processor at its heart, missing only the ability to make calls."

though it is Android 4.1, they cancel the function of making call. For fear that galaxy camera would impact the selling of S III.

>>>>>>>>>Network 4G、3G , HSPA+ 21Mbps (Not include Gsm communication)

Is it the problem of hardware ? Seach the words "call" in the web ,many replies show that they are confused the cancel of call function.

aditya104

Oct 17, 2010
Don't worry, I or someone else in these forums will hack its core and make sure that we can make calls with it.

csoulr666

Jun 30, 2011
Aligarh
The galaxy camera CANNOT make calls.......It's just a camera with android on it.........you can put a 3G or 4G enabled sim on it to use its data(like the iPad),and NOT make calls......If you are interested in buying a phone with a good camera....wait for the Nokia Lumia phones with Pureview

Also S-ON/S-OFF are terms only for HTC devices......it's sort of their way to prevent access to the NAND

john12262002

Sep 1, 2012
The galaxy camera CANNOT make calls.......It's just a camera with android on it.........you can put a 3G or 4G enabled sim on it to use its data(like the iPad),and NOT make calls......If you are interested in buying a phone with a good camera....wait for the Nokia Lumia phones with Pureview

Also S-ON/S-OFF are terms only for HTC devices......it's sort of their way to prevent access to the NAND

So sad :(

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
if anything would you not be able to use skype with the data card in there to make phone calls? Or perhaps you can use Google Voice?

Reactions: Anders6

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Way ahead of you guys.. this should work .

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1875024

Pierre

The reason that works is because it shares a modem with a device that can make phone calls. I'm not saying this camera doesn't. I'm saying don't go flashing that modem.

I have a galaxy camera inbound next week. Expect some threads in original development and development from me. I will be releasing Heimdall One-Click and CASUAL for this device shortly after I get ahold of it. I will also film some XDATVs on it. Then I will send it to Josh Groce at MobileTechVideos.com to get a JTAH flash on it.

I'm very excited to see what this thing can do

ionutzm05

Dec 24, 2010
Baia Mare
ionutzm05.info
It can be done on a very simple way using CM10 : by enabling in build.prop the phone functions and using a Bluetooth headset. However, I think CM10 with Galaxy Camera is a no go, as all the main features are in TouchWiz on this device.

The harder method would be to modify the build.prop to let you make phone calls and then install the dialer&contacts apps .apk from S3 or Note 2. Here will be some compatibility issues, but they could be solved. The only thing you will need is a Bluetooth headset, which will run as speaker and mic.

Samsung can't remove the phone features in Android, just they can disable these functions, which we will enable again :).

L.E.: The modem should not be a problem, because this device can receive 3G data for Internet via microSIM, correct?

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Could you just use Skype/Google voice (us)
Would this not work? (Maybe need to grab apks as not supported) but wouldn't that work?

Yes, that will work. It's running Android and that's the only real requirement for those apps. It will probly also support Google+ Hangouts. Native phone calls are a different story though.

don728871

Dec 22, 2011
Yes, that will work. It's running Android and that's the only real requirement for those apps. It will probly also support Google+ Hangouts. Native phone calls are a different story though.

Its because theres not a gsm radio to make a calls right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

zac68

Jun 22, 2007
Perth, WA
Surely you could make Voip calls on it. The device has a speaker, a microphone and data connectivity via Wifi or 3g/4g. You might look silly making calls on a camera but if you paired that with a Bluetooth adapter, then you'd be in business.

GriffinSauce

Apr 25, 2012
Surely you could make Voip calls on it. The device has a speaker, a microphone and data connectivity via Wifi or 3g/4g. You might look silly making calls on a camera but if you paired that with a Bluetooth adapter, then you'd be in business.
I wouldn't care about looking silly, but it would be a perfect device for holidays (or small get-outs and concerts/events). You run around making pictures all day, making very occasional phonecalls and whatsapping/skyping a bit in between .. if this device had call-capability I could leave my $600 smartphone at home and worry about only one expensive device in my pocket. ;)

Besides, I'd laugh my ass off at people looking at me making a phonecall with this haha
The "what the ?!" faces will be priceless

jediryan123

Jun 23, 2011
The mic placement is no good for making traditional phone calls, the call quality will be terrible I think. I was really hoping this thing could make calls, I basically only use apps on my nexus 7 now and I only need a phone to take photos and make calls, this could have been it.

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
The mic placement is no good for making traditional phone calls, the call quality will be terrible I think. I was really hoping this thing could make calls, I basically only use apps on my nexus 7 now and I only need a phone to take photos and make calls, this could have been it.

You could always just use a bluetooth headset and skype to make calls for you or perhaps google voice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys...this is not a SLR....or a high end CAM....
    This is an expensive compact....treat it as such...
    I Love it!! i sued to take photos...then download to laptop....edit....then connect via phone again....or wifi...and upload etc...
    I do that now with 1 device.

PS if you want to take movies longer than 30min then obviously you have not done much editing...
    and your wedding vid is going to be sooooooo boring :)

just buy a small compact or better yet...pay for a proffessional to do your wedding :)
    Way ahead of you guys.. this should work .

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1875024

Pierre

The reason that works is because it shares a modem with a device that can make phone calls. I'm not saying this camera doesn't. I'm saying don't go flashing that modem.

I have a galaxy camera inbound next week. Expect some threads in original development and development from me. I will be releasing Heimdall One-Click and CASUAL for this device shortly after I get ahold of it. I will also film some XDATVs on it. Then I will send it to Josh Groce at MobileTechVideos.com to get a JTAH flash on it.

I'm very excited to see what this thing can do
    It takes horrible photos, don't bother with it, the optics are a joke. Make sure you check out the return policy if you do get it.

I disagree! Whilst it's not going to be up there with DSLR cameras, it's certainly not taking sub standard pics either. I have had mine for about a week and providing the lighting is good (as with most cameras) the photo's are very good.

Also like to mention how fantastic the full HD videos are too!
    BT Smart talk

Downloaded this app to my galaxy note 2 extracted the .apk and installed it on the camera works fine on wifi and on gsm ,only for the uk
    My solution which works great is using google voice, with talkatone app. I've been using this for wifi and 3/4G based calls for a year or two.