[Q] Pre & Post root questions

Search This thread

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Planning on rooting my P600 and after reading Hahahalalala's earlier post, will follow BeansTown106's instructions (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2490805).
It appears I need to flash from p600Autoroot.7z for v4.3 and CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.zip for v4.4? Please correct me if I'm wrong?!

On step 4, it says to "...flash the stock mj4 recovery provided". Planning on installing TWRP v2.7.1.0 - can I just do it here? Or do I need to do this step and afterwards install
TWRP (and flash Super SU)? I'm curious about the reason for flashing the stock recover and whether it's version specific...

Currently I'm at v4.3 (touchwiz) and haven't done the latest OTA yet (presumably it's v4.4.2). It'd be best to do the OTA update and then root, right? Reading the earlier post, it
appears this method works for v4.4...

While posting, also is it possible to downgrade back to v4.3 from v4.4? Not that I'm planning on it, but have read both yes and no on doing it and just wondered.

Thanks in advance and do advise if there's anything I should watch out for while doing this!!

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Planning on rooting my P600 and after reading Hahahalalala's earlier post, will follow BeansTown106's instructions (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2490805).
It appears I need to flash from p600Autoroot.7z for v4.3 and CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.zip for v4.4? Please correct me if I'm wrong?!

On step 4, it says to "...flash the stock mj4 recovery provided". Planning on installing TWRP v2.7.1.0 - can I just do it here? Or do I need to do this step and afterwards install
TWRP (and flash Super SU)? I'm curious about the reason for flashing the stock recover and whether it's version specific...

Currently I'm at v4.3 (touchwiz) and haven't done the latest OTA yet (presumably it's v4.4.2). It'd be best to do the OTA update and then root, right? Reading the earlier post, it
appears this method works for v4.4...

While posting, also is it possible to downgrade back to v4.3 from v4.4? Not that I'm planning on it, but have read both yes and no on doing it and just wondered.

Thanks in advance and do advise if there's anything I should watch out for while doing this!!

1) If you flash twrp then you can't do OTA any more
2) The root instruction would work but will trip the Knox and void warranty.
3) Not possible to downgrade back to 4.3
4) if you not use twrp but reflash stock recovery image then OTA would work but will wipe out root if you take the OTA upgrade what ever that maybe 4.4.3?

deV14nt

Jul 1, 2009

I used these full instructions for Kit-Kat: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719750

One step in that is the CF-autoroot, but there are other steps as well. I just ignored the "To Flash New Update" part, but maybe you need it. I was already on the latest OTA before I started. Trips knox but I'm sure you knew that.

Last edited:

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
1) If you flash twrp then you can't do OTA any more
2) The root instruction would work but will trip the Knox and void warranty.
3) Not possible to downgrade back to 4.3
4) if you not use twrp but reflash stock recovery image then OTA would work but will wipe out root if you take the OTA upgrade what ever that maybe 4.4.3?

1) That's why I figured best to do the OTA first - just had other devices that didn't have root methods for the newest update & wanted to thought best to ask first!
2) I'm out of warranty (due to drop and repaired screen) so warranty is of no issue...but thanks for the warning :)
3) Thought that to be the case, but again hearing it may be possible and also can't. Don't foresee doing it, but was curious...
4) Plan on flashing the latest (CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5) via odin, reboot, flash twrp v2.6.x as I hear 2.7.x may have a few issues. Only problems I've read are potential with Super SU - not sure if it's part of the root flash, needs to be flashed
separately, or just dl'd from Google Play Store? Guess will just flash root, see if app is there, if not try Play Store. If not, then go back and find the flashable SU dl.

Thanks!

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
I used these full instructions for Kit-Kat: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719750

One step in that is the CF-autoroot, but there are other steps as well. I just ignored the "To Flash New Update" part, but maybe you need it. I was already on the latest OTA before I started. Trips knox but I'm sure you knew that.

Thanks! Yep, not concerned about warranty at this point... And figure will do the OTA and then root...

Actually latest posts appear to show some issues with SU when using CF-autoroot (maybe due to them being on kitkat?). Appears flashing CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 does the trick. Sounding like it's part
of the flash, and can then just flash twrp (figuring be safe with v2.6.x for now).

If not reading this right, anyone feel free to correct me before I "jump", lol!

Last edited:

22sl22

May 21, 2012
London
Thanks! Yep, not concerned about warranty at this point... And figure will do the OTA and then root...

Actually latest posts appear to show some issues with SU when using CF-autoroot (maybe due to them being on kitkat?). Appears flashing CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 does the trick. Sounding like it's part
of the flash, and can then just flash twrp (figuring be safe with v2.6.x for now).

If not reading this right, anyone feel free to correct me before I "jump", lol!

Su is fine with me after cf root.

In my signature is a guide to rooting with kitkat (second post)

Follow that and you'll be good : good:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

deV14nt

Jul 1, 2009
1) That's why I figured best to do the OTA first - just had other devices that didn't have root methods for the newest update & wanted to thought best to ask first!
2) I'm out of warranty (due to drop and repaired screen) so warranty is of no issue...but thanks for the warning :)
3) Thought that to be the case, but again hearing it may be possible and also can't. Don't foresee doing it, but was curious...
4) Plan on flashing the latest (CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5) via odin, reboot, flash twrp v2.6.x as I hear 2.7.x may have a few issues. Only problems I've read are potential with Super SU - not sure if it's part of the root flash, needs to be flashed
separately, or just dl'd from Google Play Store? Guess will just flash root, see if app is there, if not try Play Store. If not, then go back and find the flashable SU dl.

Thanks!

Yeah you want TWRP 2.6.3.3. It won't work right with 2.7.x. Might as well flash the SuperSU. Most of the root apps worked fine but Viper4Androod did not find Busybox even after using the installer. Need to go back a version of V4A too due to bugs but it still didn't work. Tried freezing Knox apps that might be interfering but eventually just installed that MagazineUX ROM and now it works. Everything else should work easier.

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Su is fine with me after cf root.

In my signature is a guide to rooting with kitkat (second post)

Follow that and you'll be good : good:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks - that was the post had been reading through - appears after the kitkat OTA, latest posts mentioned problems with SU when running the original CF-AUTO Root method (flashing autorootp600mj4.tar.md5). Wondering if flashing the "newer" CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5
would be best. At this point feel confident either way!

Yeah you want TWRP 2.6.3.3. It won't work right with 2.7.x. Might as well flash the SuperSU. Most of the root apps worked fine but Viper4Androod did not find Busybox even after using the installer. Need to go back a version of V4A too due to bugs but it still didn't work. Tried freezing Knox apps that might be interfering but eventually just installed that MagazineUX ROM and now it works. Everything else should work easier.

Yep, will be downloading TWRP v2.6.3.3 and flash it and SuperSU after rooting. After rooting, will be curious to see where I sit with superuser (sorry, reading the latest posts kind of muddy whether a SU app is already installed or not, lol)...

Thanks everyone for all the great input & help!!