Help me decide between the Galaxy Nexus and 4G LTE

Search This thread

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
Amazon wireless is very good when it comes to that. What is this Activation fee that i keep hearing about though? Will I have to pay it even if I go through Amazon?

cubbieswin

Nov 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I know the pre-order date is May 7th but does anyone know when we would get the phone? My wife and I both have EVOs on their last legs. Hardware failure issues. Her phone no longer can charge a battery. Mine is starting to flake with charging and the top row of my phone no longer responds to touch.

...so we need new phones. lol

AngelofChaos

Aug 28, 2010
Winter Park, FL
I know the pre-order date is May 7th but does anyone know when we would get the phone? My wife and I both have EVOs on their last legs. Hardware failure issues. Her phone no longer can charge a battery. Mine is starting to flake with charging and the top row of my phone no longer responds to touch.

...so we need new phones. lol

unconfirmed release date (with evidence from sources within Sprint) say May 18, which sounds possible as insurance is going up by $3 next month for all LTE devices and the Galaxy SIII is due sometime in June-July, I'm certain Sprint would want it out before then.

Other sources have said mid June. All we can do is preorder and wait. Unfortunate but at least we know we've secured an awesome successor!

Reactions: cubbieswin

guih

Jan 5, 2011
unconfirmed release date (with evidence from sources within Sprint) say May 18, which sounds possible as insurance is going up by $3 next month for all LTE devices and the Galaxy SIII is due sometime in June-July, I'm certain Sprint would want it out before then.

Other sources have said mid June. All we can do is preorder and wait. Unfortunate but at least we know we've secured an awesome successor!

I will freak out if the Evo LTE gets shipped out in May lol :D

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
I know several of the people who've posted in this thread went ahead with Gnex. I want to ask them if MMS works on Gnex. Browsing the Gnex forums, it seems I saw owners saying MMS doesn't work. Is it just that you have to use a 3rd party app (or maybe its got something to do with them using Google voice?)?

Anyone confirm?
Thanks.

sent from 2yr old Evo on ICS

Jaxp3r

Aug 31, 2011
Connecticut
I posted this in another thread that was asking the same question and should be relevant for you as well:

I still have just shy of a year until my upgrade is ready so by the time that rolls around, there will probably be a new Nexus for me to get.

However, in the current state, I feel as though the EVO LTE is the way to go, only because of the strong hardware. It'll give you some time to mess around with the new Sense, while also giving you the ability to just flash a stock ICS ROM on it (at some point). The way I view this, it means that you'll essentially have the Nexus, but with better hardware.

ImaWinRAR

Sep 19, 2011
Chicago
I know several of the people who've posted in this thread went ahead with Gnex. I want to ask them if MMS works on Gnex. Browsing the Gnex forums, it seems I saw owners saying MMS doesn't work. Is it just that you have to use a 3rd party app (or maybe its got something to do with them using Google voice?)?

Anyone confirm?
Thanks.

sent from 2yr old Evo on ICS

you might have better luck if you ask this question in the Gnex forums

ImaWinRAR

Sep 19, 2011
Chicago
anyone know if the LTEvo will have USB OTG capable? i hear One S/V/X have it but i havent heard anything about the LTEvo. DEFINITELY something i would use

AngelofChaos

Aug 28, 2010
Winter Park, FL
anyone know if the LTEvo will have USB OTG capable? i hear One S/V/X have it but i havent heard anything about the LTEvo. DEFINITELY something i would use

It doesn't say on the specifications listed, though considering HTC took most of the specs and form factor from the One X, its certainly within the realm of possibility they'd incorporate it. Just have to wait for the reviews or its release to find out, which will be anytime between after this coming week (considering the preorder) and the end of June.

cubbieswin

Nov 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
This off topic but does anyone else wish there was a better naming method for these phones? I think HTC releases a new phone every other week. Why call this one EVO 4G LTE?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
GREAT NEWS!!!

Ive been talking to my co-workers, as my assistant manager just got a fully working leak of ICS w/ sense 4.0 on his evo 3d. It doesnt really impress me, but it seems to be alot better on the battery life, he was playing google music on 4g on the way to work and only lost 5%, not too bad as he usually said he would of lost about 15%.

And im not too worried about the nonremovable battery, as I work in a cell phone repair shop, and I can rip it out if I want to and be like fuuck you htc, take that!! :p

ics w/ sense 3.6 not 4.0.

3.6 is fully working and 4.0 has bugs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XhausX said he's in on the Evo LTE. If any of you aren't familiar with him, he basically became the Evo 4gs toast after toast split (before toast split, actually). He fixed recoveries and wrote updated root tuts, etc. I'm only saying that having xhausx on your team puts you on a winning team. Very encouraging.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
    TEAM REVOLUTION will be supporting the Evo 4g LTE
    Popular dev Myn will be getting one also to develop roms
    i have a strong feeling Mik will be too, since he loves sense
    Virus might jump on board too

everything looks good for the evo 4g lte so far

i was this close to getting the galaxy nexus, im glad i didnt get it. i would take sense 4.0 over stock andoid anyday
    I guess I really don't know that I need to strip away Sense immediately. I've read many good things about 4.0 from people who hated Sense before. With an expensive, brand new device, I don't want to screw around anyway.

I'm not going to buy a phone that isn't to my standards - I'm buying a phone because I love how it runs as is. While people furiously search for ways to root, I'll enjoy the stock performance. Maybe a year later, when everything has been exploited and the development is flowing, I'll probably start rooting and exploring customizations again. Sure I'll miss flashing stuff, but I won't miss NEEDING to because I'm jealous of everyone else's phones (not until Jellybean, that is). I'm looking forward to a great camera, blazing fast processor, everything working, 4G (which is in my area right now), etc.

To me, if you're one who despises Sense, get the Nexus. If you can tolerate it a while, get the EVO. Simple. This idea the EVO will be outdated fast is silly. What do you want your phone to do? Massage you? It has a blazing fast OS, amazing hardware, and a camera that takes as good of pictures as is needed for a phone. If things get slightly faster or slightly more memory or slightly better in the camera department, who cares? You will still have a VERY capable phone which was the first to have a lot of features. I can't wait to buy mine, yet I feel like everyone suddenly thinks it sucks. I'm not letting people bring me down on it - that's a sweet phone at a sweet price and I'm pumped! :)
    HTC evo 4g LTe............No removable battery = FAIL ! ! ! ! !

WINNER = Iphone or any other phone

Yeah, that iPhone's removable battery really helps it win that battle... :rolleyes:
    If my memory serves me right, I do not believe that the Galaxy Nexus has Quick Settings enabled in the drop-down notification bar. Sense 4.0, it has ditched the Quick Settings thing too, unfortunately, according to screenshots I've seen.

------------------------------------------

Software:

Galaxy Nexus - Vanilla ICS.
    LTEvo - ICS, Sense 4.0 - Sense 4.0 review here.

Winner: LTEvo. I do like the few tweaks that HTC has included with Sense 4.0 and it does not appear to be extremely heavy.

--------------------------------------------------

Build Quality:

Galaxy Nexus - Plastic. It feels a little awkward to hold in one hand and reach across the screen.
    LTEvo - Black aluminum and plastic. Reviews say that it is "svelte" and fits well in the hand.

Winner: LTEvo. However, I do wish the whole body was aluminum with the Micro Arc Oxidation treatment (One S). Or at least the plastic was replaced with polycarbonate (One X). The Galaxy Nexus is a bit awkward in the hand and it's fully plastic.

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:

Galaxy Nexus - 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 (dual-core, Cortex-A9, 45nm)
    LTEvo - 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 "Krait" "S4" (dual-core, Cortex-A15, 28nm), integrated LTE

Winner: LTEvo. The Krait S4 chip is a beast from what I seen, and can handle anything thrown at it. Cortext-A15 and 28nm = less heat, less battery usage. The OMAP is simply aging.

Other Internals:

Galaxy Nexus - PowerVR SGX540 GPU, 1 GB RAM
    LTEvo - Adreno 225 GPU, 1 GB RAM

Winner: LTEvo. The PowerVR the Nexus packs is aged (hint: it's the same one as the one in the OG Galaxy S). I do wish the LTEvo had the Adreno 320 GPU, but I'm sure the 225 can handle well.

-----------------------------------------------

Screen:

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65" Super Amoled Screen, PenTile, 720p resolution, 316 ppi (claimed), 200 ppi (realistic - PenTile)
    LTEvo - 4.7" Super LCD 2 Screen, non-PenTile, 720p resolution, 312 ppi

Winner: LTEvo. Non-PenTile, larger screen? That 4.65" on the Galaxy Nexus includes the on-screen "softkeys" while the 4.7" on the LTEvo does not.

Storage:

Galaxy Nexus - 32 GB internal, no microSD slot
    LTEvo - 16 GB internal, microSD slot

Winner: LTEvo. Expandable storage = win. Yes, you can use Dropbox and such, but that is online storage.

------------------------------------------------

Battery:

Galaxy Nexus - 1850 mAh, removable
    LTEvo - 2000 mAh, non-removable

Winner: Galaxy Nexus. While the LTEvo has the larger battery, it is non-removable. :eek: While the Galaxy Nexus has a smaller battery, it is removable, giving you the option of an extended battery.

----------------------------------------------------

Camera:

Galaxy Nexus -
    • 5 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 24 fps, single flash
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @30 fps
    LTEvo -
    • 8 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 30 fps, single flash, backside illumination, dedicated ImageChip
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @ ? fps

Winner: LTEvo. The Galaxy Nexus camera is obviously lacking.