[Q]Unlock Bootloader before redeeming Drive offer

Search This thread

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/general/guide-redeem-free-100gb-google-drive-t2889782/post55714293#post55714293
I unlocked my phone with Sunshine and when requesting the offer via the online support chat facility I was told after giving them my IMEI "I've checked on the system, and I can see you've modified your phone". Kinda worries me they could tell that remotely. I've never been near the official bootloader unlock.

Anyway - I relocked my bootloader and managed to successfully claim the space just via the App!

It is in fact Google that is giving the Drive space (whic is now 100GB) to new HTC One M8 purchasers. If you unlock your bootloader, or relock it using fastboot oem lock, or obtained S-off after using HTCDev to unlock your bootloader (which results in a ***TAMPERED*** banner, then Google cannot verify your information or your ...in short, you won't be able to redeem it. The Drive app will instruct you to go to HTC for more abuse (as seen in some cases above).

But if you have rooted your phone, then you had to have unlocked the bootloader. And if you want the 100GB Google Drive storage, then you need to set the bootloader back to ***LOCKED*** not ***RELOCKED***. If you simply do a fastboot oem lock, you will only get a ***RELOCKED*** status.

Plus, if you attain S-Off after unlocking your bootloader following HTCDev, it is very possible you will have a
*** TAMPERED ***
banner on your hboot screen. This must be removed as well.

To Lock your bootloader properly and to remove the TAMPERED Banner, you need to get S-Off, if you don't already have it. To get S-off, you need to run Sunshine (strongly recommended for its convenience).

I did a Guide to reverting your phone to the point necessary to redeem the Google Drive offer here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been lead to be live this is a techinical glitch with AT&T . My phone was rooted straight out the box and still got the offer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
    Just goto HTC website and do a live chat. They will request details of your phone and send you a link for the Google Drive offer.. I did this after I rooted my phone. Great customer service.
    I just wonder if they were sent information from the phone when it was first unlocked.

I mean I would argue all day long that yes, I did request the unlock, but that I changed my mind and didn't actually unlock the phone. Unless they could prove it, they would not be showing good faith in their relationship with their customers.

The only way they could prove it would be by admitting unauthorized (or not clearly authorized) collection of information that notified them that my bootloader was unlocked.

I unlocked my phone with Sunshine and when requesting the offer via the online support chat facility I was told after giving them my IMEI "I've checked on the system, and I can see you've modified your phone". Kinda worries me they could tell that remotely. I've never been near the official bootloader unlock.

Anyway - I relocked my bootloader and managed to successfully claim the space just via the App!
    You don't have to S-on to get the offer. Locking the bootloader (using the above dd command) is sufficient.