[Telus T959D Fascinate][VIDEO]step by step instructions to use custom roms

Search This thread

LINKSLOVESANDROID

Dec 7, 2010
Timmins, Ont
[TELUS FASCINATE USERS] Hello XDA and community. I've compiled a complete walkthrough to install either i9000 or vibrant custom roms onto a telus T959D fascinate. Follow these instructions to have relatively the same STABLE setup im using at the moment

I AM NOT ACCOUNTABLE IF U BRICK YOUR PHONE!!! PLEASE FOLLOW CAREFULLY!! I MADE SURE I MENTIONED EVERY SINGLE BIT OF INFORMATION SO YOU COULD FOLLOW ALONG, NOT THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING THEN TRY WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS LIKE MY DAD PUTTING TOGETHER A COMPUTER DESK!!! THIS IS A EXPENSIVE PIECE OF HARDWARE SO FOLLOW MY EXACT STEPS!!!!!

The only 2 known issues ive had personally were

-no home button just 2 back buttons for the time being

-phone model specific apps for the T959D wont download from the market because you will be using a i9000 kernel to mimic the i9000 system

THE ONLY REQUIREMENTS ARE TO MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED AND YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED THE SAMSUNG USB DRIVERS
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/...TLS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

I've Added a video of my current setup.. i was going to do a video showcasing the installation but i really dont want to redownload all my apps. far too time consuming.

STEP ONE - Download and reflash froyo 2.2 1st thing were gonna do is reflash stock 2.2. i know most of u r already on stock 2.2 but a fellow tester by the name of roccos_van said he was having market issues. So i wanna be 100% careful. So lets flash to stock. TO start, download the omega 2.2 leak here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3DQ1LZF

the leak comes with odin and all files needed to flash back to 2.2 stock. Once the download is complete, unzip the file to somewhere your familiar with ie. desktop or my documents. The files name will b T959TJL3. inside this file, youll find odin and 3 files. Right click odin and click start as administrator. Odin has a fairly simple setup. the thing u wanna do in odin is place the files from the
T959TJL3 folder into the proper catagories. Heres a screenshot of what it should look like when its properly setup

once your odin looks EXACTLY THE SAME, its time to put your phone into download mode.

Turn off your phone and wait for it too completely power down. once its completely off, pull your battery. SGS phones come with a hidden mode called download mode which is what the phone goes into when you recieve a OTA update. to manually put your phone into download mode, follow these instructions

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAMSUNG CABLE THAT CAME WITH YOUR PHONE!!
make sure u have your samsung usb cable plugged into the pc but not into the phone (not yet at least) and make sure u remove your battery.

step 1. hold down the volume down button and continue holding
step 2. whille still holding down the volume down button, plug your phone into the usb cable
step 3. while still holding down the volume down button, pop your battery in.

Your phone should show this screen

Now if u look at odin you will have a yellow stripe on the top left area as seen in this picture

Now your ready to flash to stock 2.2. In odin, click start. It will then begin flashing the stock firmware into the phone.

It will look something like this

After afew minutes, it will reset your phone and odin will look like this but will say reset instead of pass

let your phone sit for while untill odin looks like this

once it says pass, your officially back to stock 2.2. CONGRATZ!!! step1 complete!
Now onto the i9000 kernel

STEP 2 - DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL CUSTOM VOODOO i9000 KERNEL

1st off, download the custom kernel here

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|30...stable-5.0.1-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar|6461

This kernel has clockwork recovery enabled which allows you to flash new roms, make backups, etc.

once the file is done downloading, reopen odin and place the file in to PDA section and do nothing else!!

Put your phone back into download mode following the steps above until your ready to flash. Once your ready to go, click start. It will only take like 10 seconds this time around since your only flashing a kernel.

When your phone resets, it will say 959d then quickly change to i9000 and then it will begin to talk to you! lmao. dont fret, its supposed todo this. its installing the voodoo lagfix in your phone. this will take approx 5-10 minutes. once your phone is up and running, let it sit for about 5 minutes so it can finish installing the lagfix. Once your phone is up and running again, power it down. Wait for it to be completely off, then we are going to get into recovery mode.

To get into recovery mode, hold down both volume buttons and hold power. Continue holding these 3 buttons until your phone loads the i9000 bootscreen for the 2nd time then release.

You should b in a screen resembling this but yours will be red

To navigate recovery, you must use the volume buttons for up and down and power for enter.

From the main menu, go down to lagfix and click enter.
in this menu, u can enable or diasble the voodoo lagfix. Since we want to flash a new rom, WE MUST TURN OFF VOODOO!!!
YOU MUST ALWAYS TURN OFF VOODOO BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING OR YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!

once youve clicked disable lagfix, disable system lagfix and disable debug lagfix, go back to the main menu then click reboot.Againm, it will take like 5-10 minutes to completely disable the lagfix. Once its completely done disabling the lagfix, your phone will load. You wont have signal to telus quite yet, but we will get to that. From this point, u can choose what u want to do.

U have 3 options

1. Install a vibrant rom

2. Install a i9000 rom or

3. Flash The telus modem and stay stock

But since this is a tutorial on how to get a custom rom up and running, ill choose a rom. On to step 3!

STEP 3 - CHOOSING AND FLASHING A CUSTOM ROM
If u want my opinion, if u choose vibrant rom, choose Nero v5
Nero v.5: http://www.teamwhiskey.com/DownVibrant.html

If u choose a i9000 rom, id say darkys v8.1.
Darkys v8.1: http://www.multiupload.com/SHPR3TXLYB

Either choice you make, download the file to a familiar place on your computer.

On your phone, goto Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB debugging.

Once the download is complete, connect your phone to your computer. Once your phones signals it knows its connected to the computer, pull down your notification bar and click USB CONNECTED. This will open up the Mass storage. Then click enable usb storage.

Now your computer and phone are able to communicate and share files. click my computer then you should see your phone named removable storage. Open the device. Now you want to drag and drop the custom rom zip into the root of your internal storage. once its finished copying the zip, click close usb storage on your phone then unplug it once it says its ok. Now you have the custom rom on your phone but its not installed quite yet.

IF U CHOSE NERO v.5: NERO HAS A VIBRANT KERNEL PREINSTALLED WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW A TELUS FASCINATE TO CHARGE! IT WILL BOOTLOOP UNTIL U UNPLUG YOUR CHARGER. WE WILL B OVERWRITING THE VIBRANT KERNEL WITH A I9000 KERNEL FURTHER INTO THE TUTORIAL SO DONT START THINKING NEGATIVE! IT IS A SIDEAFFECT OF PORTING A VIBRANT KERNEL. ONCE WE HAVE THE ROM WORKING, WE WILL BE RE-ADDING ANOTHER I9000 CUSTOM KERNEL TO FIX THIS ISSUE. SO JUST CONTINUE WITH THE INSTALLATION

IF U CHOOSE DARKYS: NO ISSUES HERE BECAUSE IT IS A I9000 KERNEL. BUT I PERFER THE LOOK OF NERO V5 SO THE ADDED BULLS**T TO GET IT WORKING PROPERLY IS DEFINATELY WORTH IT!!

To install the custom rom you chose, follow these instructions:
1. Turn off phone and wait till its completely shutdown
2. Use the above mentioned 3 button combo to get into recovery
3. Once in recovery, click wipe data/factory reset. once it finshes, click wipe cache partition. Once it finishes, goto advanced then wipe dalvik cache.
4. After youve wiped everything, go back to the main menu and click install zip from SDcard. Then click choose zip. u should see your nero 5 - voodoo file. click it. it will ask if your sure. click yes. your rom will then proceed to install. you will see some wierd stuff but it will load perfectly. once its done, click reboot.

Because both Roms come with Voodoo enabled, you will have to sit and wait while voodoo reenables itself. once your rom is up and running, you probably still dont have a signal from telus and depending on which type of rom u chose, u may not be able to charge your battery. This is exactly y i said make sure your battery was fully charged. Im quite sure both of these roms come with enter recovery mode by holding your power button and it will say recovery. click that.

Once in recovery, your going to want to disable the lagfix, system lagfix and debuglagfix. Once youve disabled all of them, reboot. Again, it will take like 5 minutes to disable the lagfix. Once its done, shut down your phone entirely.
Now that the rom is installed, Step 3 is complete! Congratz! We are almost done!!

STEP 4 - OVERCLOCKED KERNEL & TELUS MODEM

The final steps to have your phone up and running is to flash a new advanced voodoo kernel that is overclocked and allows undervolting for better battery life (as well as fixes the charging bootloop issue on a vibrant rom) and reflashing the telus modem file so you can get signal again.

Click the following link and download this file:
voodoo.advanced.v666.2-20110111-21.53.tar

http://kernel.1ug.org/

Once the download is complete, reopen odin and place the voodoo.advanced.v666.2-20110111-21.53.tar in the pda file and thats it!!

get your phone into download mode and click start in odin. This will flash the stable kernel to your phone and allow you to overclock and undervolt. If u chose Nero v.5, plug your phone in for a charge, it deserves it :) Finally to get your telus signal back up and running.

Shut down your phone completely. Open odin (for the final time :0). You remember the T959TJL3 folder we used to first restore to stock froyo 2.2 in step 1 (also the folder odin is in)? Well what we want to do is take the file with the word "phone" in it and place it in the phone section and thats it thats all!! Get your phone back into download mode and click start in odin. this shouldnt take very long as your just exchaging the nero modem for the telus.
Once the flash is complete, BAAAMMMMMM BABYYYY!!!! custom roms!!!!! WITH WORKING DATA!!! ON A TELUS FASCINATE!!!

Now that your successfully running a custom rom, i suggest going back into recovery and re-enabling lagfix, system lagfix and debug lagfix then rebooting. After the reboot, i suggest re-opening recovery then going to backup and restore then clicking backup. This will create a system image of your freshly loaded rom so if u have issues down the line, u can easily restore back to your freshly loaded rom problem free. I THINK THIS IS DEFINATELTY A NECCESITY!!! BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY!!! IF NOT YOULL HAVE TO START FROM STOCK 2.2 ALL OVER AGAIN!!! :(

(OPTIONAL): HOW TO OVERCLOCK AND UNDERVOLT
Overclocking your phone is super easy considering once youve added the advanced voodoo kernel its automatically overclocked but you cant control it. I suggest going onto the market and purchasing SETCPU. Its pritty cheap, comes with a widget, and allows you to choose the max cpu speed (overclocked its 1.28ghz) and the minimum. I only overclock when im playing psx4droid v1.7 (final fantasy 9 runs mint) but usually keep my cpu set at 600mhz max 200mhz min while im doing my day to day to preserve battery life but also keep the speed.

SETCPU HAS ISSUES ON GALAXY S PHONES WITH THE SET TO BOOT OPTION AND SAVING PROFILES. DO NOT USE SET TO BOOT OR PROFILES!!! JUST CHANGE THE CPU SPEED MANUALLY WHEN YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT OR YOU COULD SERIOUSLY MESSUP YOUR PHONE

Undervolting is pritty easy also. just go checkout Xan`s app: voltage control v.3.
Heres a link to his thread and the the download link for the apk is at the bottom of his post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829731

Either download this file directly to your phone or download it to your computer then use usb storage to drag and drop the apk into the root of your internal sdcard. Close your usb storage and unplug phone. Open your custom roms file manager and find the apk. Click it. Use program installer to install it.
Once its installed open the app. Superuser will ask you if its allowed to allow voltage control to work. Click yes. You will then see a list of voltages etc.
1st thing you should do is change your scheduler to noop. Its the best scheduler in the app and easiest on your phone.

I`m going to paste stable undervolting values you should copy into your voltage control.

1280 = -25
1200 = -25
1120 = -25
1000 = -50
900 = -50
800 = -50
600 = -50
400 = -75
200 = -75
100 = -75

These settings have worked perfectly for me although you could try different settings. Once youve added the above values into voltage control, click the menu button and click apply now. then click menu again then apply now again (i heard it takes 2 times to actually go through). The values i put there are safe so if you followed those, open menu and click apply to boot, then menu then apply to boot. Your phone is now undervolted.

I just spent roughly 9 hours creating this post so if it has helped you in anyway possible, plz click thank you. I'd like to thank supercurio for creating voodoo, omega1 for creating my interest in custom roms with faded froyo, and roccos_van for testing what everyone else was afraid to test. Id also like to thank everyone reading this post. Plz click the thank you button:)

Last edited by a moderator:

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
The market issue is fixed, it had nothing to do with your instructions, I have a bad imei and simply had to force stop a few market related apps, clear data and cache then reboot.

You should also update your post as user supercurio released a custom t959d kernel today with clockwork and voodoo.

Now we can flash roms for i9000 or t959 with no issues.

Reactions: spydr11

LINKSLOVESANDROID

Dec 7, 2010
Timmins, Ont
just my luck. spend 9 hours posting then supercurio posts a kernel.. lmao. o well. if your looking for a overclocked undervolted phone, follow this post

Last edited:

LINKSLOVESANDROID

Dec 7, 2010
Timmins, Ont
The market issue is fixed, it had nothing to do with your instructions, I have a bad imei and simply had to force stop a few market related apps, clear data and cache then reboot.

You should also update your post as user supercurio released a custom t959d kernel today with clockwork and voodoo.

ill b updating my post to include instructions on flashing stock 2morop morning when i got some free time

EDIT: so i think my battery is finally syncedup properly. i have no task killers with the above setup. Charged my phone yesterday at 1pm. Its now 7:30am the next day and i have 51 percent left

Last edited:

LINKSLOVESANDROID

Dec 7, 2010
Timmins, Ont
You did a good job with the post.

I think when you add the supercurio modded stock kernel it will be faily complete.

i was just in the shower with my phone playing music on the counter and it stopped playing. i jumpedout to see wtf was going on. the lockscreen just magically appeared saying sim card removed reboot phone. seems to be working now but fuk it. thats too messed up 4 me. imma re edit this thread to include the telus voodoo stock so no1 gets the same issues im hjaving. overclock undervolt or not, i hate glitches.

Im thinking ill return to stock and start from scratch. Should i make a video showing complete installation? i think so :)

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
i was just in the shower with my phone playing music on the counter and it stopped playing. i jumpedout to see wtf was going on. the lockscreen just magically appeared saying sim card removed reboot phone. seems to be working now but fuk it. thats too messed up 4 me. imma re edit this thread to include the telus voodoo stock so no1 gets the same issues im hjaving. overclock undervolt or not, i hate glitches.

Im thinking ill return to stock and start from scratch. Should i make a video showing complete installation? i think so :)

Try the stock voodoo kernel first...i don't know if you should disable lag fix first but I would just in case.

spydr11

Oct 25, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Thanks for the tip, my market stopped working today, cleared data and cache, rebooted and now I'm back in action!

LINKSLOVESANDROID

Dec 7, 2010
Timmins, Ont

Oh man...that sucks...did you disable voodoo before flashing? You have a one year warranty take it back.

i did disable voodoo. dunno y it bricked. i went to the future shop i got it from, lied and said i flashed official froyo from kies and it wouldnt start afterward. They checked my account. turns out i was 3 days late on my replacement policy fee so i have 2 wait 3 business days with a paper weight phone until it goes through b4 they can replace it for me. but on the brightside, my buddy who works the cell area said when i get my replacement, if the same thing happens he has to give me the telus phone of my choice. SOO. if the htc desire hd does come to telus, i can purposely brick my phone, say froyo did it, and get the desire hd for free. although i dont know much about htc, ive heard they r the best android brand around. u got any info on htc at all rocco? all i know is sense looks sexier then any rom ive seen thus far including every differenty model rom ive seen on youtube. imma post a new thread warning t959d users to beware on flashing roms until there propp[erly ported to our phone. cause as u can see in the above post, i know what i was doing. wasnt like i just fukedup and forgot something. i had nero v5 running with the supercurio stock voodoo kernel last night but it felt like it was hiccuping after i enabled the lagfix so i decided to go back to stock and try other roms. from what i heard, axura is the best of the best for vibrant roms. so i flashed to stock with odin. added the new kerne; thru odin, let the lagfix install, rebooted into recovery, disabled the lagifx, system lagfix and debug. rebooted. let the lagfix uninstall. copied the zip to my interna; sdcard, rebooted into recovery, wipe data, cache and dalvik then chose the zip. it installed properly. i clicked reboot phone then it turned off. and that was that. question is is there anyway to use slp to open your phone and try and reset it or is it bricked and am i without a phohe till next wednesday?

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
i did disable voodoo. dunno y it bricked. i went to the future shop i got it from, lied and said i flashed official froyo from kies and it wouldnt start afterward. They checked my account. turns out i was 3 days late on my replacement policy fee so i have 2 wait 3 business days with a paper weight phone until it goes through b4 they can replace it for me. but on the brightside, my buddy who works the cell area said when i get my replacement, if the same thing happens he has to give me the telus phone of my choice. SOO. if the htc desire hd does come to telus, i can purposely brick my phone, say froyo did it, and get the desire hd for free. although i dont know much about htc, ive heard they r the best android brand around. u got any info on htc at all rocco? all i know is sense looks sexier then any rom ive seen thus far including every differenty model rom ive seen on youtube. imma post a new thread warning t959d users to beware on flashing roms until there propp[erly ported to our phone. cause as u can see in the above post, i know what i was doing. wasnt like i just fukedup and forgot something. i had nero v5 running with the supercurio stock voodoo kernel last night but it felt like it was hiccuping after i enabled the lagfix so i decided to go back to stock and try other roms. from what i heard, axura is the best of the best for vibrant roms. so i flashed to stock with odin. added the new kerne; thru odin, let the lagfix install, rebooted into recovery, disabled the lagifx, system lagfix and debug. rebooted. let the lagfix uninstall. copied the zip to my interna; sdcard, rebooted into recovery, wipe data, cache and dalvik then chose the zip. it installed properly. i clicked reboot phone then it turned off. and that was that. question is is there anyway to use slp to open your phone and try and reset it or is it bricked and am i without a phohe till next wednesday?

The only thing I can say is keep trying to get it into download mode? I had an HTC desire, I just sold it on ebay, and have the cash waiting for the Desire HD...so yeah, the HTC stuff is real nice. It's being released at TELUS on feb 10, for $499.

daoom

Mar 28, 2008
Montreal

Best way I've found to avoid this is to unzip the ROM and take a look at the update script to see exactly what it's flashing. Some custom ROMs flash more then just the kernel and modem and modify things like the boot.bin, which is almost sure to brick your phone if it's not compatible.

samperlmutar

Apr 2, 2007
To all Telus Fascinate T959D users, I have posted a complete guide to installing custom Vibrant ROM's.

The guide shows you how to install any ROM for the T-Mobile Vibrant (I prefer Team Whiskey's Nero 5), then flash a custom Telus Fascinate kernel with Voodoo and CWR built-in, and then finally flashing the stock Telus Fascinate JL3 modem.

This will leave you with a 100% functioning (yes, flawless) custom ROM on your Fascinate.

The reason I posted the guide, despite this one already existing, is that it doesn't require you to sacrifice certain functionality. The guide I have posted is only for flashing Vibrant ROMs, and uses supercurio's newly released T959D Stock+Voodoo kernel that is built on the Telus one, so everything works.

jamckee

Jan 9, 2011
Edmonton
Themes

So I just followed samperlmutar's guide and installed the nero v5 rom. My question is now I'm having problems applying themes for Nero v5. I followed instructions to the T on the theme pages in the Vibrant section but it says it is not compatible. Anyone know if Vibrant Nero v5 themes will work on a Telus Fascinate?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
im very new to this my phone will not turn on completely i can get into download mode still but phone isnt functioning. I'm just trying to install 2.2 OS on it. Is anyone online that can help

merganser

Jul 21, 2009
crap

I have an issue. Everything was going great Step 1 complete. Step 2 the download was deleted from rapidshare. so I googled and downloaded the file from dl.project-voodoo.org

It failed. now the phone boots but only to a screen with a phone icon and a computer icon with a warning icon. so it wont boot, it wont connect to the pc and wont hard reset.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rick

merganser

Jul 21, 2009
still failing

I have an issue. Everything was going great Step 1 complete. Step 2 the download was deleted from rapidshare. so I googled and downloaded the file from dl.project-voodoo.org

It failed. now the phone boots but only to a screen with a phone icon and a computer icon with a warning icon. so it wont boot, it wont connect to the pc and wont hard reset.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rick

k well I got it back in download mode and odin 3 recognizes it but step 2 is still failing. any chance I can get that step 2 download?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [TELUS FASCINATE USERS] Hello XDA and community. I've compiled a complete walkthrough to install either i9000 or vibrant custom roms onto a telus T959D fascinate. Follow these instructions to have relatively the same STABLE setup im using at the moment

I AM NOT ACCOUNTABLE IF U BRICK YOUR PHONE!!! PLEASE FOLLOW CAREFULLY!! I MADE SURE I MENTIONED EVERY SINGLE BIT OF INFORMATION SO YOU COULD FOLLOW ALONG, NOT THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING THEN TRY WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS LIKE MY DAD PUTTING TOGETHER A COMPUTER DESK!!! THIS IS A EXPENSIVE PIECE OF HARDWARE SO FOLLOW MY EXACT STEPS!!!!!

The only 2 known issues ive had personally were

-no home button just 2 back buttons for the time being

-phone model specific apps for the T959D wont download from the market because you will be using a i9000 kernel to mimic the i9000 system

THE ONLY REQUIREMENTS ARE TO MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED AND YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED THE SAMSUNG USB DRIVERS
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/...TLS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

I've Added a video of my current setup.. i was going to do a video showcasing the installation but i really dont want to redownload all my apps. far too time consuming.

STEP ONE - Download and reflash froyo 2.2 1st thing were gonna do is reflash stock 2.2. i know most of u r already on stock 2.2 but a fellow tester by the name of roccos_van said he was having market issues. So i wanna be 100% careful. So lets flash to stock. TO start, download the omega 2.2 leak here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3DQ1LZF

the leak comes with odin and all files needed to flash back to 2.2 stock. Once the download is complete, unzip the file to somewhere your familiar with ie. desktop or my documents. The files name will b T959TJL3. inside this file, youll find odin and 3 files. Right click odin and click start as administrator. Odin has a fairly simple setup. the thing u wanna do in odin is place the files from the
    T959TJL3 folder into the proper catagories. Heres a screenshot of what it should look like when its properly setup

once your odin looks EXACTLY THE SAME, its time to put your phone into download mode.

Turn off your phone and wait for it too completely power down. once its completely off, pull your battery. SGS phones come with a hidden mode called download mode which is what the phone goes into when you recieve a OTA update. to manually put your phone into download mode, follow these instructions

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAMSUNG CABLE THAT CAME WITH YOUR PHONE!!
    make sure u have your samsung usb cable plugged into the pc but not into the phone (not yet at least) and make sure u remove your battery.

step 1. hold down the volume down button and continue holding
    step 2. whille still holding down the volume down button, plug your phone into the usb cable
    step 3. while still holding down the volume down button, pop your battery in.

Your phone should show this screen

Now if u look at odin you will have a yellow stripe on the top left area as seen in this picture

Now your ready to flash to stock 2.2. In odin, click start. It will then begin flashing the stock firmware into the phone.

It will look something like this

After afew minutes, it will reset your phone and odin will look like this but will say reset instead of pass

let your phone sit for while untill odin looks like this

once it says pass, your officially back to stock 2.2. CONGRATZ!!! step1 complete!
    Now onto the i9000 kernel

STEP 2 - DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL CUSTOM VOODOO i9000 KERNEL

1st off, download the custom kernel here

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|30...stable-5.0.1-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar|6461

This kernel has clockwork recovery enabled which allows you to flash new roms, make backups, etc.

once the file is done downloading, reopen odin and place the file in to PDA section and do nothing else!!

Put your phone back into download mode following the steps above until your ready to flash. Once your ready to go, click start. It will only take like 10 seconds this time around since your only flashing a kernel.

When your phone resets, it will say 959d then quickly change to i9000 and then it will begin to talk to you! lmao. dont fret, its supposed todo this. its installing the voodoo lagfix in your phone. this will take approx 5-10 minutes. once your phone is up and running, let it sit for about 5 minutes so it can finish installing the lagfix. Once your phone is up and running again, power it down. Wait for it to be completely off, then we are going to get into recovery mode.

To get into recovery mode, hold down both volume buttons and hold power. Continue holding these 3 buttons until your phone loads the i9000 bootscreen for the 2nd time then release.

You should b in a screen resembling this but yours will be red

To navigate recovery, you must use the volume buttons for up and down and power for enter.

From the main menu, go down to lagfix and click enter.
    in this menu, u can enable or diasble the voodoo lagfix. Since we want to flash a new rom, WE MUST TURN OFF VOODOO!!!
    YOU MUST ALWAYS TURN OFF VOODOO BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING OR YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!

once youve clicked disable lagfix, disable system lagfix and disable debug lagfix, go back to the main menu then click reboot.Againm, it will take like 5-10 minutes to completely disable the lagfix. Once its completely done disabling the lagfix, your phone will load. You wont have signal to telus quite yet, but we will get to that. From this point, u can choose what u want to do.

U have 3 options

1. Install a vibrant rom

2. Install a i9000 rom or

3. Flash The telus modem and stay stock

But since this is a tutorial on how to get a custom rom up and running, ill choose a rom. On to step 3!

STEP 3 - CHOOSING AND FLASHING A CUSTOM ROM
    If u want my opinion, if u choose vibrant rom, choose Nero v5
    Nero v.5: http://www.teamwhiskey.com/DownVibrant.html

If u choose a i9000 rom, id say darkys v8.1.
    Darkys v8.1: http://www.multiupload.com/SHPR3TXLYB

Either choice you make, download the file to a familiar place on your computer.

On your phone, goto Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB debugging.

Once the download is complete, connect your phone to your computer. Once your phones signals it knows its connected to the computer, pull down your notification bar and click USB CONNECTED. This will open up the Mass storage. Then click enable usb storage.

Now your computer and phone are able to communicate and share files. click my computer then you should see your phone named removable storage. Open the device. Now you want to drag and drop the custom rom zip into the root of your internal storage. once its finished copying the zip, click close usb storage on your phone then unplug it once it says its ok. Now you have the custom rom on your phone but its not installed quite yet.

IF U CHOSE NERO v.5: NERO HAS A VIBRANT KERNEL PREINSTALLED WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW A TELUS FASCINATE TO CHARGE! IT WILL BOOTLOOP UNTIL U UNPLUG YOUR CHARGER. WE WILL B OVERWRITING THE VIBRANT KERNEL WITH A I9000 KERNEL FURTHER INTO THE TUTORIAL SO DONT START THINKING NEGATIVE! IT IS A SIDEAFFECT OF PORTING A VIBRANT KERNEL. ONCE WE HAVE THE ROM WORKING, WE WILL BE RE-ADDING ANOTHER I9000 CUSTOM KERNEL TO FIX THIS ISSUE. SO JUST CONTINUE WITH THE INSTALLATION

IF U CHOOSE DARKYS: NO ISSUES HERE BECAUSE IT IS A I9000 KERNEL. BUT I PERFER THE LOOK OF NERO V5 SO THE ADDED BULLS**T TO GET IT WORKING PROPERLY IS DEFINATELY WORTH IT!!

To install the custom rom you chose, follow these instructions:
    1. Turn off phone and wait till its completely shutdown
    2. Use the above mentioned 3 button combo to get into recovery
    3. Once in recovery, click wipe data/factory reset. once it finshes, click wipe cache partition. Once it finishes, goto advanced then wipe dalvik cache.
    4. After youve wiped everything, go back to the main menu and click install zip from SDcard. Then click choose zip. u should see your nero 5 - voodoo file. click it. it will ask if your sure. click yes. your rom will then proceed to install. you will see some wierd stuff but it will load perfectly. once its done, click reboot.

Because both Roms come with Voodoo enabled, you will have to sit and wait while voodoo reenables itself. once your rom is up and running, you probably still dont have a signal from telus and depending on which type of rom u chose, u may not be able to charge your battery. This is exactly y i said make sure your battery was fully charged. Im quite sure both of these roms come with enter recovery mode by holding your power button and it will say recovery. click that.

Once in recovery, your going to want to disable the lagfix, system lagfix and debuglagfix. Once youve disabled all of them, reboot. Again, it will take like 5 minutes to disable the lagfix. Once its done, shut down your phone entirely.
    Now that the rom is installed, Step 3 is complete! Congratz! We are almost done!!

STEP 4 - OVERCLOCKED KERNEL & TELUS MODEM

The final steps to have your phone up and running is to flash a new advanced voodoo kernel that is overclocked and allows undervolting for better battery life (as well as fixes the charging bootloop issue on a vibrant rom) and reflashing the telus modem file so you can get signal again.

Click the following link and download this file:
    voodoo.advanced.v666.2-20110111-21.53.tar

http://kernel.1ug.org/

Once the download is complete, reopen odin and place the voodoo.advanced.v666.2-20110111-21.53.tar in the pda file and thats it!!

get your phone into download mode and click start in odin. This will flash the stable kernel to your phone and allow you to overclock and undervolt. If u chose Nero v.5, plug your phone in for a charge, it deserves it :) Finally to get your telus signal back up and running.

Shut down your phone completely. Open odin (for the final time :0). You remember the T959TJL3 folder we used to first restore to stock froyo 2.2 in step 1 (also the folder odin is in)? Well what we want to do is take the file with the word "phone" in it and place it in the phone section and thats it thats all!! Get your phone back into download mode and click start in odin. this shouldnt take very long as your just exchaging the nero modem for the telus.
    Once the flash is complete, BAAAMMMMMM BABYYYY!!!! custom roms!!!!! WITH WORKING DATA!!! ON A TELUS FASCINATE!!!

Now that your successfully running a custom rom, i suggest going back into recovery and re-enabling lagfix, system lagfix and debug lagfix then rebooting. After the reboot, i suggest re-opening recovery then going to backup and restore then clicking backup. This will create a system image of your freshly loaded rom so if u have issues down the line, u can easily restore back to your freshly loaded rom problem free. I THINK THIS IS DEFINATELTY A NECCESITY!!! BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY!!! IF NOT YOULL HAVE TO START FROM STOCK 2.2 ALL OVER AGAIN!!! :(

(OPTIONAL): HOW TO OVERCLOCK AND UNDERVOLT
    Overclocking your phone is super easy considering once youve added the advanced voodoo kernel its automatically overclocked but you cant control it. I suggest going onto the market and purchasing SETCPU. Its pritty cheap, comes with a widget, and allows you to choose the max cpu speed (overclocked its 1.28ghz) and the minimum. I only overclock when im playing psx4droid v1.7 (final fantasy 9 runs mint) but usually keep my cpu set at 600mhz max 200mhz min while im doing my day to day to preserve battery life but also keep the speed.

SETCPU HAS ISSUES ON GALAXY S PHONES WITH THE SET TO BOOT OPTION AND SAVING PROFILES. DO NOT USE SET TO BOOT OR PROFILES!!! JUST CHANGE THE CPU SPEED MANUALLY WHEN YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT OR YOU COULD SERIOUSLY MESSUP YOUR PHONE

Undervolting is pritty easy also. just go checkout Xan`s app: voltage control v.3.
    Heres a link to his thread and the the download link for the apk is at the bottom of his post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829731

Either download this file directly to your phone or download it to your computer then use usb storage to drag and drop the apk into the root of your internal sdcard. Close your usb storage and unplug phone. Open your custom roms file manager and find the apk. Click it. Use program installer to install it.
    Once its installed open the app. Superuser will ask you if its allowed to allow voltage control to work. Click yes. You will then see a list of voltages etc.
    1st thing you should do is change your scheduler to noop. Its the best scheduler in the app and easiest on your phone.

I`m going to paste stable undervolting values you should copy into your voltage control.

1280 = -25
    1200 = -25
    1120 = -25
    1000 = -50
    900 = -50
    800 = -50
    600 = -50
    400 = -75
    200 = -75
    100 = -75

These settings have worked perfectly for me although you could try different settings. Once youve added the above values into voltage control, click the menu button and click apply now. then click menu again then apply now again (i heard it takes 2 times to actually go through). The values i put there are safe so if you followed those, open menu and click apply to boot, then menu then apply to boot. Your phone is now undervolted.

I just spent roughly 9 hours creating this post so if it has helped you in anyway possible, plz click thank you. I'd like to thank supercurio for creating voodoo, omega1 for creating my interest in custom roms with faded froyo, and roccos_van for testing what everyone else was afraid to test. Id also like to thank everyone reading this post. Plz click the thank you button:)

Oh, I meant for miui 1.9.23. I've tried doing the root explorer trick but no avail, the phone isn't recording the button presses at all on 1.9.23

Do you mean all your soft-keys aren't working? Home/Search not doing anything?

I may be remembering wrongly when I was in CM7 (pretty similar to MIUI), but you need to modify a different file than /system/usr/keylayout/melfas_touchkey.kl Open up the different .kl files to see what the layout is like.

Key-codes may be different but the process to change them should be same.