Any hope for this bricked phone?

Search This thread

GreatHype

Apr 19, 2012
I was trying to install a new kernel for my Epic 4g so I could possibly upgrade or get rid of the ****ty theme that came with the phone I bought on ebay. Whilst doing so through Odin I believe it said Failed and now my phone won't boot into any mode.

Is there any hope for this phone or anyway I can take it to a sprint dealer and possibly con them into getting a replacement?

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Have you tried battery cpr? Leaving it plugged in holding the buttons for download mode(1 and the power button) and popping in and out the battery?

Get a better cable that's probably why it failed. Also huh? Flashing a new kernel for a new theme??? Makes no sense bro speak some english

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

etirkca

Apr 14, 2012
You can't boot to recovery or even download mode? Does the screen turn on at all when trying to power on? No Samsung logo or boot screen?

Although it's possible, I won't address the attempt to con Sprint...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

LucJoe

Nov 12, 2008
Send it to me. I'll pay shipping. Haha. Your just soft bricked.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

I have the same problem. Can't boot into ANY mode. Generally "soft bricked" phones can get into download mode right?

Any suggestions what I can do? I have TEP so I was thinking of just taking it in.

No lights come on, nothing happens at all. If I leave it plugged in the battery gets a little warm, but that's the ONLY sign of life...

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
I have the same problem. Can't boot into ANY mode. Generally "soft bricked" phones can get into download mode right?

Any suggestions what I can do? I have TEP so I was thinking of just taking it in.

No lights come on, nothing happens at all. If I leave it plugged in the battery gets a little warm, but that's the ONLY sign of life...

Remove the battery and SD then replug into your PC and reboot download mode. The reason people brick like this is repartitioning with only a kernel or checking bootloader.

--------------------------------------
Marcusant-Nyan.png

LucJoe

Nov 12, 2008
Remove the battery and SD then replug into your PC and reboot download mode.

I have done this, still nothing coming up. I even tried the "Battery CPR" suggested above. Nothing at all from the phone...

The reason people brick like this is repartitioning with only a kernel or checking bootloader.

That is exactly what happened I accidentally checked repartition with only a kernel :(

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
I have done this, still nothing coming up. I even tried the "Battery CPR" suggested above. Nothing at all from the phone...

That is exactly what happened I accidentally checked repartition with only a kernel :(

No hope go play stupid at sprint/pay for a new one.

LucJoe

Nov 12, 2008
Would that even work if I'm not a sprint customer?

Nope, need to be a sprint customer and have TEP

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

No hope go play stupid at sprint/pay for a new one.

omg. I was about to head out to Sprint when I tried for the 99th time to put it in download mode. and it popped up! (battery only)

I thought for sure this thing was dead. How is this possible if I was doing the EXACT same thing repeatedly, eventually it works? :confused:

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
It appears to be some type of reset that takes place and sometimes only letting it sit for awhile will fix it. This is why some people think the magic button works.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Nope, need to be a sprint customer and have TEP

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

omg. I was about to head out to Sprint when I tried for the 99th time to put it in download mode. and it popped up! (battery only)

I thought for sure this thing was dead. How is this possible if I was doing the EXACT same thing repeatedly, eventually it works? :confused:

You removed the param among other things. This caused key combinations to not render if a normal boot started. The one time it did work it was a direct boot into download mode. (I have no idea about my theory and am talking out of my @$$.) Your phone also could have been low on power.

~Marcusant

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
You removed the param among other things. This caused key combinations to not render if a normal boot started. The one time it did work it was a direct boot into download mode. (I have no idea about my theory and am talking out of my @$$.) Your phone also could have been low on power.

~Marcusant

Or the magical phone fairy pushed the mythical button for him.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

LucJoe

Nov 12, 2008
Hah! Maybe the "battery CPR" actually did something. I tried so many times between last night and today and finally after a long session of battery CPR, I let it sit for ~15 minutes, then tried -> No battery, connect USB, download mode: NOTHING -> Disconnect USB, replace battery, download mode: SUCCESS!

Very strange.

Back in action on AOKP + Nyan colonel!