Ice Cream Sandwich

Search This thread

megapimp

Jun 23, 2011
This is sad all the anguish of these companies barely supporting the products they sell and apple still supports its old devices. For a few years. I think this is why people buy apple cause the **** just works. I love my galaxy note left my iPhone 4 just isn't completely perfect needs ics

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
This is sad all the anguish of these companies barely supporting the products they sell and apple still supports its old devices. For a few years. I think this is why people buy apple cause the **** just works. I love my galaxy note left my iPhone 4 just isn't completely perfect needs ics

An iPhone typically last 2-3 major software updates, and older devices do not get full updates typically there are several features missing.

Most android phones get the same amount of updates. For example the original galaxy s line started on eclair, then froyo, then gingerbread. In between there were several small maintenance updates

I have read these arguments before but they really do not hold water. I have an iPhone 4 but no Siri. The flyer unfortunately was a failed device for htc that they are apparently abandoning. Htc in general looks to be on the ropes

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Yeah I was just saying that yesterday. Apple people love to throw updates in your face but like you said the 4 doesn't have siri. Old iPhones get SOME new features but not all. And at this point everything older than a 4 is pretty much cut off anyway and if it does get anymore updates its usually just a version number nothing less nothing more.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

quails

Oct 27, 2010

Apple aren't so much supporting the old devices as supporting the revenue stream that they get from the apple store. Apple has a very different business model and not one that I like - most people don't mind it though.

swiftgs

Sep 18, 2007
Just to inform everyone here. Today I was called by the technical staff from HTC Europe. I replied a few times to an e-mail conversation wich I had with the customer service and myself. They said that ICS was only phone software and not tablet software. The tablet software is HC according them.

I filled out a survey and demanded an update because the arguments were rubbish. ICS is 100 procent tablet software as well.

The technical staff was very friendly and explained HTC updates their phones first. He also said that at the moment an ICS update for the flyer was not available and not expected soon. On the question if it comes at all I got the standard answer that he did not know that for 100 percent. The advice is to look at the website now and then.

Sorry not having any positive knews but at least some person of the staff explained the situation..

Edit: Though credits for HTC, I did the servey yesterday and the staff replied within 12 hours by phone to explain things!

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Yeah there will be as long as your willing to obtain s-off! Trust me as a former cm7.2 itll be better than anything htc could release!

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA

SinisterModz

Mar 30, 2012
Yeah there will be as long as your willing to obtain s-off! Trust me as a former cm7.2 itll be better than anything htc could release!

Hope so, Im getting one for an unbelievable price. Now I got to go read up and see what all xda has to offer for it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

R23PO

Dec 24, 2011
my View embarrased me today

If there is no update to ics, HTC should at least send a few updates to fix and speed up HC. Attempting to watch a video on a web page is painful. Very painful. I just keep tappin on the play button, but nothing ever happens. Strong WiFi signal, but still nothing playing. I had to break down today and ask to use someone's ipad2 just to watch a new movie trailer. The ipad2 played it beautifully and even asked me if I wanted to play it fullscreen! I sent my HC View to bed with no dinner. I just don't get why the HC View can't handle simple things.

Reactions: j510 and 1454

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I got no problems playing a video but I agree that a hc update to speed things up wouldn't be a bad thing. Mainly the browser and sense elements are laggy. Also adding folder support to the launcher, may not be a part of hc by default but our tabs don't use the vanilla google launcher anyway

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

Reactions: j510

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
If there is no update to ics, HTC should at least send a few updates to fix and speed up HC. Attempting to watch a video on a web page is painful. Very painful. I just keep tappin on the play button, but nothing ever happens. Strong WiFi signal, but still nothing playing. I had to break down today and ask to use someone's ipad2 just to watch a new movie trailer. The ipad2 played it beautifully and even asked me if I wanted to play it fullscreen! I sent my HC View to bed with no dinner. I just don't get why the HC View can't handle simple things.

I've had the same problem with videos. It will play the vulkano app, but anything over low quality and it gets choppy as heck.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mevensen

May 22, 2011

Actually, I'm not sure this is true. For me, the defining feature of the Flyer that keeps me from tossing/selling it and picking up another 7 inch Android is the pen functionality. Without this, I might as well get something else.

The pen seems to be one of the big hurdles for the devs. Not surprisingly so, since you can't really grab drivers/APIs from anywhere for this unique feature.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Well Drew has said he plans on making a sense version so if he does pen should work automatically. My Vivid smartphone even has Pen in settings

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA

mevensen

May 22, 2011
Well Drew has said he plans on making a sense version so if he does pen should work automatically. My Vivid smartphone even has Pen in settings

Hope I'm wrong then. I also just saw something about some ICS working with pens, but I'm not sure how well.

We'll see.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There will be no Ics . Thread close

A whole 19 pages of discussion was unable to provide the kind of insight you just birthed. Thanks for that. :rolleyes:
    And that's just it really. I understand moving on quickly with phones but tablets are a big investment. I'm not checking my upgrade date constantly nor am I planning on replacing this thing when something better comes along. No I bought this to be my tablet for several years, and if HTC refuses to support it then I just might stop supporting HTC. Go back to Samsung where even if support isn't there, development is as well as unlocked bootloaders

my View embarrased me today

IMO, I think the Honeycomb update was really stupid move by HTC. Why did they release it after ICS was already announced? And honeycomb already had a bad reputation for being buggy and laggy. Surely they knew they would get some sort of backlash from users demanding ICS.

And denying them the update is had a for customer support...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Because they had already been working on the update in the months leading up to the announcement of ICS. These things don't happen over night. It takes quite awhile to get the OS working properly with the hardware and customized software. Further complicating things for the Flyer/View is the Scribe integration. So there's no reason why they shouldn't release an update they had been working on well before ICS was announced.
    There still is a glimmer of hope. Asked on htcs facebook page and they gave me a response saying they are still evaluating more of their devices. Its doesn't mean much but it wasn't an outright no, but considering htc has discontinued all its tablets and are re-evaluating tablets, it's unlikely.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA