Votes: 108 48.0%
  • 650cd/m² | 1500:1 contrast (best)

Votes: 96 42.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Do you know what brightness settings each of the reviewer’s used when they tested battery life? I'm willing to bet it's not maximum brightness and that all the phones each of them test are set to some equivalent level that the reviewer applies consistently.

Yes, I read all of the testing protocols. Some measure at a fixed brightness, others at a 50%, others at maximum brightness.

As long as testers measure at a % point of maximum brightness (like in the GSM Arena test), a decrease in brightness will result in an increase in battery life.

Therefore this is a very comparable situation as the in Computerbase test:
100% brightness = 380cd/m²
50% brightness = 190cd/m²

Example with GDS Arena Video Test:
50% of 650cd/m² = 325 cd/m²
50% of 380cd/m² = 190 cd/m²

Instead of a 16% increase in battery performance, we can infer the 11% I was talking about. Of course this will depend on whether the videos displayed in both situations had the same overall average brightness levels. All I am saying is that it will have a form of impact. It can be more or less depending on the type of video material displayed on the web pages browsed, but it will have an impact and 15% more battery life for 50% decrease in brightness is a good estimate.

I mean do we even need to do calculations to have a feeling that increase screen brightness will negatively impact battery performance overall?

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The only thing that will prove your point is for someone to come forward with a display their One has that’s brightness is noticeably and drastically below other examples. Until that happens none of this is real and debating it further is kind of futile. I’m so confident in this that I’ll buy you a case for your One if you end up being right. ;)

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Of course it is. Your assumption, based on a flawed comparative resulting in a flawed conclusion, is that each One built could have a display that varies from 382-647cd/m2 and therefore battery performance could vary accordingly. I'm saying there's most likely a single panel used on the One and the difference in brightness between any two panels is no more than 10+/-% due to manufacturing tolerances and that all One's will have similar battery life when used the same way. If you're right this thread will balloon in to 100+ pages and end up a sticky because the lucky winners of the "screen lottery" you're describing that draw 382cd/m2 displays will be up in arms. If I'm right this thread will die out fairly quickly as the deviation you're hypothesizing only exists on paper.

The observed range is 385cd/m² to 650cd/m², therefore the production tolerance is not +/-10%, it is 30%. 385* 1.3 * 1.3 = 650cd/m²

That a +/- 8% in battery performance.

But you are right on one thing, this depends on usage. That's what I am saying in my first post. To the extent that automatic brightness can be capped at a percentage of maximum brightness I would be very happy.

I know where I want to go with this...I want a custom rom to enable this feature, so I have to show why it matters ;) Why do you think I even open this thread in the first place? I don't want to constantly have to switch between custom brightness and automatic brightness or be in power saving mode all day...

Last edited:

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
The only thing that will prove your point is for someone to come forward with a display their One has that’s brightness is noticeably and drastically below other examples. Until that happens none of this is real and debating it further is kind of futile. I’m so confident in this that I’ll buy you a case for your One if you end up being right. ;)

Well, I will be sure to measure my HTC ones when I receive them. If I find different screen brightness with 2 different measurement devices under the same testing conditions, I will report on this? For now I can say for sure that the models I observed in the shops in Germany all had the 385cd/m² screen and very close brightness and color temperature. No wild fluctuation.

So if I do not manage to get my hands on a significantly brighter device, all this will mean (to me as a screen calibrator) is that HTC somehow paid reviewers to falsify their testing results on some reviews (doubtful) OR there are different screen versions (different hardware).

I honestly doubt it can be different calibration. At equal color temperature, the same screen can't be calibrated much brighter than it's native color temperature allows. Even assuming a different color temperature, you would have to put up with crazy cold color temperature to transform a 385cd/m² screen into a 650cd/m² screen to the point where it is not acceptable to the consumer and even then, you would barely scratch 450cd/m². There is only so much the pixels can do. Backlighting is the limiting factor mainly. I don't believe in a 70% jump in brightness achieved through calibration only.

What is more believable however is HTC capping backlighting in their devices to allow better battery tests, like Samsung does with their AMOLED displays...

Last edited:

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
1. Reboot the phone twice to get a clean "last_kmsg" file
2. Use any file manager that gets you to the root directory
3. Navigate to the /proc folder
4. Find "last_kmsg"
5. Open it on the device or send it to a PC and open it as a text file. Your looking for "panel_id" and "panel_vendor." It's a long ass file so you're better off using an editor with a search feature to search on "panel."

Since there aren't many vendors making 1080P panels I'll bet all One's use the same panel type and it's probably from Renasis (Sharp) like the XZ and DNA.
[ 1.037509] c0 64 [TP] syn_get_version: panel_version: 3332
(snip)
[ 1.684877] c0 1 [DISP] mipi_command_samsung_init
[ 1.684907] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init panel ID = PANEL_ID_M7_JDI_SAMSUNG_C2_2
[ 1.685182] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init: PWM IC version A2
[ 1.685212] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init

Anyone else want to post theirs?

If the screen is actually made by Samsung then some of the more rabid HTC fanboys won't be able to bring themselves to touch it .
:D

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Last edited:

crucky

Apr 9, 2008
Berlin
[ 1.666656] c1 1 Registering the dns_resolver key type
[ 1.666900] c1 1 mipi_m7_device_register
[ 1.667419] c1 1 [DISP] mipi_command_samsung_init
[ 1.667419] c1 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init panel ID = PANEL_ID_M7_JDI_SAMSUNG_C2_2
[ 1.667694] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init: PWM IC version A2
[ 1.667724] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init

My HTC One :D o2 Germany WTF ? Samsung Panel in a HTC Nice one :D I cant find panel_vendor in the last_kmsg file :(

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
m7panel1.jpg

Anyone know what this is and what it confirms regarding the screen towards the bottom?

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
[ 1.037509] c0 64 [TP] syn_get_version: panel_version: 3332
(snip)
[ 1.684877] c0 1 [DISP] mipi_command_samsung_init
[ 1.684907] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init panel ID = PANEL_ID_M7_JDI_SAMSUNG_C2_2
[ 1.685182] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init: PWM IC version A2
[ 1.685212] c0 1 [DISP] m7_panel_init

Anyone else want to post theirs?

If the screen is actually made by Samsung then some of the more rabid HTC fanboys won't be able to bring themselves to touch it .
:D

Ugh...mine is Samsung too! You are not wrong about the HTC fanboys. In fact many Taiwanese will not be happy to hear it has a major Korean part! There is a lot of rivalry there!

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
Ugh...mine is Samsung too! You are not wrong about the HTC fanboys. In fact many Taiwanese will not be happy to hear it has a major Korean part! There is a lot of rivalry there!

JDI is Japanese Display Inc (Sony/Toshiba/Hitachi).. not sure how Samsung is there too. A sexpert on HTC panels needs to step in.

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
JDI is Japanese Display Inc (Sony/Toshiba/Hitachi).. not sure how Samsung is there too. A sexpert on HTC panels needs to step in.

I just googled JDI. Indeed you are absolutely right. But JDI has no link to Samsung. In fact they are absolute rivals. Looks like the phone has an identity crisis!

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

My HTC One :D o2 Germany WTF ? Samsung Panel in a HTC Nice one :D I cant find panel_vendor in the last_kmsg file :(

The file is huge. The best thing is to copy it off the phone so you can search for it easily on your PC.

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
I just googled JDI. Indeed you are absolutely right. But JDI has no link to Samsung. In fact they are absolute rivals. Looks like the phone has an identity crisis!

I think the screen itself is JDI made and the 'Samsung' is.. something else.

For example, in the SHARP_RENESAS option, Sharp is the only one of the two who manufactures screens and Renesas is a semiconductor manufacturer who doesn't.

Again, we need an HTC expert to clear things out because it isn't displayed this way for other OEMS.

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
I think the screen itself is JDI made and the 'Samsung' is.. something else.

For example, in the SHARP_RENESAS option, Sharp is the only one of the two who manufactures screens and Renesas is a semiconductor manufacturer who doesn't.

Again, we need an HTC expert to clear things out because it isn't displayed this way for other OEMS.

Ah..you provided a clue. Renesas make the ICs for screen drivers/controllers. So this implies the JDI screen is powered by a Samsung screen driver/controller. Still a bit surprising to see anything with Samsung there but not quite as shocking as the screen itself!

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
but how do I test or know which screen type I got? any apps from play store?

Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG
4. Find "last_kmsg"
5. Open it on the device or send it to a PC and open it as a text file. Your looking for "panel_id" and "panel_vendor." It's a long ass file so you're better off using an editor with a search feature to search on "panel."

Reactions: theotrman

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Renesas SP is a joint venture established by Renesas Electronics, Sharp Corporation and Powerchip Group in April 2008. It engages in the business of LCD Drivers that drive small and mid-sized LCD panels. As a top manufacturer in the display products market for mobile gadgets, it aims at making a significant contribution to the global display industry through continuous innovation, cost reduction and quick operations. It provides excellent sales support, quality designing and manufacturing skills and quality assurance system all over the world aiming to become a genuinely reliable company.​

All these 1080P mobile displays are being made in a former Sharp plant the size of a football field that was dedicated to larger panels for use in TVs and was converted to small format displays and is now the largest physical plant dedicated to mobile devices in the world.

Reactions: sbrownla

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC One Display Brightness

• The HTC One uses an adaptative contrast mechanism for the screen brightness that is in operation even when auto-brightness is off. This mechanism means that brightness settles after each picture change only after a 4-5 seconds, which means that measurements that are taken too quickly can overestimate brightness by 15%, which is why there is a wide fluctuation across all reviews.
    • At which level brightness settles depends on the average picture level. You can sometimes observe this while browsing: when the content displayed varies between dark and bright content, an adjustment is visible.
    • In my measurements below, I have indicated the brightness range as well as the typical settled brightness for the standard 100% Voodoo test pattern.

attachment.php

HTC One Black Levels

Like with brightness, black levels also fluctuate due to the adaptative contrast mechanism:
    • Content with darker average picture level will be dimmed
    • Content with brighter content will will brightened
    • Overall black levels will fluctuate between 0.29cd/m² and 0.55cd/m², so dynamic contrast will be around 1700:1 whereas ANSI (or intra-picture contrast) will be around 1000:1.

Color Temperature: Three phones, three different display calibrations.

Unit 1 (silver)
    • Fabricated on 12th March 2013 at factory Tierra del Fuego Factory in Argentina (Serial: FA33CWxxxxxx, Panel ID JDI C2_2)
    • Display: color temperature slightly on the cool side
    White color temperature: 6950K (some meters will incorrectly measure this up to 350K higher, especially if not using the right spectral file for the type of display)
    Black Level: 0.37cd/m² to 0.50 cd/m²
    Black Level (typical voodoo test pattern): 0.43 cd/m²
    White Point: 370cd/m² to 490cd/m²
    White Point (typical voodoo test pattern): 435cd/m²
    Typical Contrast (without adaptative mechanism): 1000:1
    ANSI Contrast: 1100:1
    Unit 2 (silver)
    • Fabricated on 3rd April 2013 at Hsinchu, Taiwan factory (Serial: HT343Wxxxxxx, Panel ID JDI C2_2)
    • Display: neutral color temperature, slightly lower contrat:
    White color temperature: 6550K (some meters will incorrectly measure this up to 350K higher, especially if not using the right spectral file for the type of display)
    Black Level: 0.50 cd/m² to 0.64cd/m²
    Black Level (typical voodoo test pattern): 0.52 cd/m²
    White Point: 400cd/m² to 530cd/m²
    White Point (typical voodoo test pattern): 466cd/m²
    Typical Contrast (with adaptative mechanism): 900:1
    Typical ANSI Contrast: 970:1
    Unit 3 (black)
    • Fabricated on 12th April 2013 at factory Tierra del Fuego Factory in Argentina (Serial: FA34CWxxxxxx, Panel ID JDI C2_2)
    • Display: Even cooler color temperature unit 1 but same brightness and contrast
    White color temperature: 7200K (some meters will incorrectly measure this up to 350K higher, especially if not using the right spectral file for the type of display)
    Black Level: 0.37cd/m² to 0.50 cd/m²
    Black Level (typical voodoo test pattern): 0.43 cd/m²
    White Point: 370cd/m² to 490cd/m²
    White Point (typical voodoo test pattern): 435cd/m²
    Typical Contrast (without adaptative mechanism): 1000:1
    ANSI Contrast: 1100:1
    Comparison of warmest color temperature on Unit 2 (left) vs. coolest on Unit 3 (right):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Based on the collective reviews of the HTC One including my own measurements, it is now clear that HTC One displays can have different display characteristics in terms or color temperature, contrast and brightness. Even displays with the same Display ID have can have widely fluctuating brightness and color temperature depending on factory calibration.
    • Settled brightness between 390cd/m² and 475cd/m²
    • Color Temperature between 6550K to 7350K
    • ANSI contrast between 930:1 and 1100:1
    Currently available reviews for the HTC One Display

Neutral Color Temperature
    • 20.03.2013 GBR pcpro: 481cd/m² brightness | 1202:1 contrast (measured with i1 Display Pro)
    • 20.03.2013 DEU Computerbase.de: 483cd/m² brightness | 1100:1 contrast | 6,600K white temperature (measured with DTP94)
    • 26.03.2013 FRA 01net.fr: 485 cd/m² | 0,29 cd/m² | 1679:1 contrast | 6638K white temperature (measured with Minolta CA-210 and DTP94)
    • 26.03.2013 FRA Puremind@xda (see below): 466 cd/m² | 0,52 cd/m² | 939:1 contrast | 6650K white temperature (measured with i1 Pro 2)
    Medium-High Color Temperature
    • 26.03.2013 DEU puremind@xda 463cd/m² brightness | 1073:1 contrast | 6934K white temperature (measured with i1 Pro)
    • 02.04.2013 DEU notebookcheck.com: 488.9cd /m² brightness | 0.23 cd / m² black level | 2117:1 contrast | 7205K white temperature
    • 26.02.2013 RUS 3dnews.ru: 382cd/m² and 1,258:1 contrast | 6,938K white temperature (measured with Spyder 4)
    High Color Temperature
    • 14.03.2013 GBR uk.hardware.info: 426cd/m² brightness | 977:1 contrast | 7,820K color temperature (measured with i1 Display Pro)
    • 26.02.2013 RUS 3dnews.ru: 453cd/m² and 1,328:1 contrast | 7,598K white temperature (measured with Spyder 4)
    • 14.03.2013 NLD Tweakers.net: 489cd/m² | 1159:1 contrast | 8,166 color temperature (measured with i1 Display Pro)
    • 26.03.2013 DEU puremind@xda 420cd/m² brightness | 1060:1 contrast | 8,130K color temperature (measured with Chroma 5)
    • 28.03.2013 RUS high-tech@mail.ru 492cd/m² brightness | 1189:1 contrast | 7980K white temperature
    Unknown color temperature:

14.03.2013 USA laptopmag: 463cd/m² brightness
    19.03.2013 DEU Notebookjournal: 385cd/m² and 1100:1 contrast
    19.03.2013 DEU PC Welt 447cd/m² brightness | 1711:1 contrast
    20.03.2013 DEU Chip.de: 479cd/m² brightness | 1020:1 contrast
    21.03.2013 FRA Les Numériques 460cd/m² | 1568:1 (measured with i1 Pro or i1 Pro 2 tbc.)
    21.03.2013 FRA 01.net 480cd/m² brightness | 1,655:1 contrast (measured with Konica Minolta CA-210)
    23.03.2013 BGR GSMArena: 647cd/m² brightness | 1541:1 contrast

Having said that, there are still different display calibrations out there, I myself measured "settled" brightness
    I will try and keep this updated with new tests to confirm where each screen type can be found.

For reference, here are the luminance ranges of the color testing devices listed above.
    • i1 pro__________________________ 0.20 cd/m² to 300 cd/m²
    • i1 pro 2_________________________0.20 cd/m² to 1200 cd/m²
    • Chroma 5/Sencore Color Pro V_______0.01 cd/m² 1000 cd/m²
    • Spider 3/4_______________________0.02 cd/m² 5000 cd/m²
    • i1 Display 2______________._____._.__0.02 cd/m² 3000 cd/m²
    • i1 Display 3/i1 Display Pro/C6___._____0.003 cd/m² 1200 cd/m²
    • Konica Minolta CA-210______________0.01cd/m² 1000 cd/m²
    Here's a way to find the display type that doesn't require root.

4. Find "last_kmsg"

\

Since there aren't many vendors making 1080P panels I'll bet all One's use the same panel type and it's probably from Renasis (Sharp) like the XZ and DNA.

The AUO (Acer) display on the Teg3 One X is "0x4940014"
    The Sharp display on the Teg3 One X is "0x294000f"
    The Sony display on the One XL is"0x18103" (The One XL only uses the Sony panel)
    The AUO (Acer) display on the One X+ is 0x944a03 (The One X+ only uses the AUO panel)
    The DNA uses a Renasis (Sharp) panel (only) but I can't find the ID
    Own screen measurements

Here are measurements I conducted today at a Vodafone shop.

White Balance
    First of all, let me say that the readings were conducted by i1 Pro, which is certified until 300cd/m². Overall the readings will be very accurate for color temperature, black level, gamma and chromaticty, but maximum brightness may be off by a small margin (to be confimed tomorrow). Unfortunately Calman did not respond to me regarding my license upgrade to Calman5, so I could not use the Chroma5 for this measurement.

I will conduct new readings with the Chroma 5 likely tomorrow. The results are quite close to the PCpro review in terms of brightness and very close to the Russian review in terms of white color temperature (in fact nearly identical). Overall contrast falls in line with most reviews.

• White point / maximum brightness: 445cd/m²
    • Back Level: 0.43cd/m²
    • Contrast (dynamic): 1034:1
    • Average gamma: 2.1
    • White color temperature (read the color tmperature section below): 6934K (same as Russian Review)
    • Black color temperature (read the color tmperature section below): 8882K
    • Average color temperature: 7353K

attachment.php

Overall the white balance is good but not perfect.

attachment.php

Color Temperature

The observed white balance translates into color temperature slightly on the cold side but it is colder at low stimulus and warmer towards the white point, which is important for a pleasing browsing experience:

attachment.php

I think displaying color temperature across the whole spectrum is important. Some reviews only mention one value, which can be the average or the white point temperature, but it is hard to interpret taken on its own.

Color decoding / Chromaticity
    As far as color accuracy is concerned, the HTC One's display I tested had fairly accurate colors. Only the most critical viewers will detect thes imperfections in daily use.
    attachment.php

Based on this measurement, this is more of a type 2 display, however I am not sure about the white point
    I have had two One's that I tested with my trusted DTP-94 sensor so I thought I would sign up to this forum to share my results (Hi everyone!). One had a Samsung screen and the other a Sharp - the results are as follows (apologies I cant post links yet so cant hotlink the measurement charts but have included manual links):

Sharp:

i39.tinypic.com/2w57nfm.jpg

100% Brightness
    Black Level 0.30 cd/m2
    White Level 495 cd/m2
    Contrast 1650/1
    Color Temp 6550k
    Gamma 2.26

50% Brightness
    Black Level 0.07 cd/m2
    White Level 120 cd/m2
    Contrast 1700/1
    Color Temp 6550k
    Gamma 2.26

Pros:
    Deep Blacks
    Almost perfect white balance
    Almost perfect gamma
    Almost perfect viewing angles with no shift in colours
    Screen can display all shades of black including 0-16 resulting in great shadow detail
    Uses less battery than Samsung (I ran a side by side comparison by running in plane mode and looping a 720p MKV)

Cons:

Digitizer is quite visible in sunlight
    Slight Dynamic Contrast apparent

The factory calibration on this screen was outstanding, the white balance was almost perfect from 50% ire upwards and the gamma tracked almost perfectly at 2.2. This calibration is one of the best I have ever seen on a consumer device and is better than even most TV's and Monitors. The screen itself is stunning with great black levels.

Samsung:

i44.tinypic.com/zvy9mw.jpg

100% Brightness
    Black Level 0.43 cd/m2
    White Level 478 cd/m2
    Contrast 1111/1
    Color Temp 7500k
    Gamma 2.20

50% Brightness
    Black Level 0.12 cd/m2
    White Level 136 cd/m2
    Contrast 1134/1
    Color Temp 7500k
    Gamma 2.15

Pros:
    Slightly Brighter at 50% Brightness
    Far lass visible digitizer in sunlight
    Ok gamma tracking
    No dynamic contrast apparent

Cons:
    Blue tint
    Black levels worse than Sharp
    Bad viewing angles very visible blue shift when viewing from an angle
    Uses more battery than Sharp
    Screen can not display black under 6 RGB resulting in black crush in dark areas and loss of shadow detail

Even though this screen is not as good as the Sharp, it is still fairly decent. It has a slight blue tint to everything but its still not too bad for a consumer device. The screen does have issues with viewing angles though which make the blue tint way worse when viewing from an angle and the screen can not produce blacks under 6 RGB which means a loss of shadow detail. Its a decent screen but nowhere near as accurate or appealing as the Sharp.

In summary, the Sharp is one of the greatest lcd displays I have ever seen and produces absolutely stunning accurate pictures. The Samsung is not too bad and if the digitizer bothers you then go for the Samsung as it is way less apparent. However, if you are looking for an accurate screen with great shadow detail, perfect gamma and almost perfect greyscale, with stunning contrast, then the Sharp is the screen to get.

Hope this helps some people and happy to answer any questions on anything ive missed. Cheers